Bug control? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2017, 12:42 PM   #1

Trailer: Looking to purchase
Bug control?

Just curious, does anyone have any pest control issues (roaches etc...) If so, do you just occasionally spray? I don't have a TT, just trying to learn what all is invloved.
Thanks for info!
Dwain
Dwainkitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:35 PM   #2

Trailer: egg camper 2007
Dwain,
I have been in the pest control now for 30 years. There is no one answer to your question. It all depends on the insect and how bad the infestation is. Small infestation's of cockroaches and some ants can be solved with bait. Other insects you need to spray for. It is not a good idea to spray once and a while just to be safe you could make yourself sick.
Hope this answers your question.
Jason
Old 06-15-2017, 01:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
We have been using "Cedarside" products for years now . It works including for fleas on your pets . Flea products out there cut your dog's lifespan by 25% , it is poison going in their bloodstream . Texas cedar oil is a natural product .Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
We don't have many bug issues up in the Pacific wet west. I think they don't like our weather!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:53 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Move to Oregon. The most problems we have are slugs and they don't fly!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:05 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
No pests

We've never had a pest, but we travel a lot and do not camp for weeks at a time in one location. Also, our Escape is stored inside the garage.

I have seen one owner who stays multiple weeks at various locations who takes a battery powered one gallon sprayer along and runs a ring of pesticide around the ground outside her trailer if ants are sighted.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:51 PM   #7

Trailer: egg camper 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
We've never had a pest, but we travel a lot and do not camp for weeks at a time in one location. Also, our Escape is stored inside the garage.

I have seen one owner who stays multiple weeks at various locations who takes a battery powered one gallon sprayer along and runs a ring of pesticide around the ground outside her trailer if ants are sighted.

Not legal with out a commercial pest control license in that state. If you get caught in my state you could receive a big fine.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:54 PM   #8

Trailer: August 2017 17b
My curiosity has been piqued re Eco Defense products (ex:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A345UQKI91GF54)

I've had good luck with peppermint oil based sprays to rid my eaves of yellow jackets, assorted herbal sprays for mosquito and tick repellents.... am thinking these products might be worth trying.
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:03 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Bugs aren't too bad in Driggs Idaho from January to March if that is helpful.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:09 AM   #10

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A/2015 21 coming in march
Deer Ticks are my issue.My little dog gets them & occasionally hands them off to me.A product that is not avaiable here in Canada is Permetherin.Apparently it's could enough for the US armed forces,but not for the public.Love to get some..
WLYBGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:35 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLYBGR View Post
Deer Ticks are my issue.My little dog gets them & occasionally hands them off to me.A product that is not avaiable here in Canada is Permetherin.Apparently it's could enough for the US armed forces,but not for the public.Love to get some..
I am always leery of putting any chemical on my body or even in close proximity like on clothes. Mind you, I have not been exposed to lots of ticks in the past, and the ones I have came away from our dog easily.

My wife had a tick on her scalp shortly after the Escape Rally. I got it off no problem, but for a couple days she worried that there might be more, and kept having me check.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:27 AM   #12

Trailer: Coachmen Prism
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post

Mind if I put my two cents here?
As said above, it really depends which pests you are fighting with. It is true, that having a bunch of insecticides may be problematic, but I'm sure it would be okay to have some boric acid and ammonia. Check this page on pestcontrolhacks about ant repellents, you can try also spray your RV with wild chamomile decoction or garlic-mint spray. Yeah, the smell might be not the best one, but it works. You may try also spreading ammonia around, if careful. Hope, this helps someone.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:28 AM   #13

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
We were in a campground in mid coastal FL for 5 weeks, every campsite had tiny ant nests. The dried catfood was a major problem, if we left dried kibbles out for the cat for 4 hours while we were gone the sugar ants would cover her food. Boric acid sugar traps did not work, the ants wanted cat kibbles. A worker at tbe campground suggested spraying every crack with WD40. That worked about 5-7 days, then we would have to reapply. We had some chinese chalk we had bought in Cartagena, Colombia but that did not stop the ants. Who knows what was in the chalk, it was effective in humid south american locations but not FL.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:34 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I learned to always keep a fly swatter in the trailer. One summer trip we stopped for the night and made the mistake of parking next to a huge cornfield in the midwest. Think it was in Ohio off I-80, at a truck stop. You just had to open the trailer door once, and you were done. There was blood on the walls everywhere. Spent the night swatting half a million mosquitoes.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:14 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkman View Post
Dwain,
I have been in the pest control now for 30 years. There is no one answer to your question. It all depends on the insect and how bad the infestation is. Small infestation's of cockroaches and some ants can be solved with bait. Other insects you need to spray for. It is not a good idea to spray once and a while just to be safe you could make yourself sick.
Hope this answers your question.
Jason
9mm snake loads work well on cockroaches!

Chuck
citabria90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:41 AM   #16

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Our inside-the-trailer fly notswatter is a Ryobi cordless hand vac, which we use for any little flying beastie that manages to make their way inside the trailer. Works great on mosquitoes down south or pesky black flies in da UP of Michigan.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:00 PM   #17

Trailer: ?
When I was in the navy, I was stationed in Key West for a time.

One of the bars on Duval Street had an annual flying roach contest.

If your entry wasn't at least 3" long, you might as well stay home.

Most years the winner brought their entry in on a leash.

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:37 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Not sure it was a roach, but the first time I visited my parents who relocated to Florida after their retirement, I was introduced to their palmetto bug, my dad said you have to trip it before trying to step on it!!
Old 02-02-2019, 07:46 AM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
When I was a child, my father was stationed at Fort Rucker, Alabama. I was taught to always shake out my shoes before putting them on... bugs, especially cockroaches. It took my several years to get over the habit. When something feels normal, like a habit, it's hard to think others don't do the same thing.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:44 AM   #20

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Not sure it was a roach, but the first time I visited my parents who relocated to Florida after their retirement, I was introduced to their palmetto bug, my dad said you have to trip it before trying to step on it!!
Legend has it that at the annual roach contest, one oldtimer brought in a roach that was so big he had to control it with two fathoms of anchor chain.

Now that’s a serious bug.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote