Building a garage opening for storage - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2016, 02:32 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
So it says on the website that the Escape is 8'6" tall. I'm assuming that means without the air conditioner, which would add another 5 inches (we have the polar cub).

Is that correct?
Yes, if the Polar Cub is 5 inches taller than the MaxxFan (which is presumably the highest item on the roof). That assumes that you don't have any other tall stuff (such as a TV antenna), and that your trailer has the standard suspension (axle), and no lift kit.

It is certainly wise to measure.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:03 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yes, if the Polar Cub is 5 inches taller than the MaxxFan (which is presumably the highest item on the roof). That assumes that you don't have any other tall stuff (such as a TV antenna), and that your trailer has the standard suspension (axle), and no lift kit.

It is certainly wise to measure.
Measuring is happening -- But so far Terry's measurements haven't agreed with the Escape specifications. So Brian, you think that the 8'6" includes the maxi fan? We've just been measuring to the top of the trailer. If 8'6" includes the maxi fan, that would explain why Terry has a different measurement from the Escape website. The Polar Cub is supposed to be five inches high, NOT five inches higher than the maxi fan. There are things that can be done in the garage -- and the doors open out to the side so there is no control mechanism -- just handles. Of course very exact measurement will happen before anything is taken apart.

Earlier posters to this thread talked about letting air out of tires, and that is what Terry thinks he will do. Also, it is plenty wide.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:39 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Takes two, but I used a four foot level taped to an eight foot 2X4. I rest on end on the trailer high point and from a ladder I raise the other end until the 2x4 is level.
That's when my partner measures with a tape.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:13 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
This looks a lot like two other recent discussions:
2017 Escape 19 Specs (the 2017 and previous designs appear to be the same height)
Our first trip in our new Escape 19 (height issue starting in post #6)
Quote:
So Brian, you think that the 8'6" includes the maxi fan? We've just been measuring to the top of the trailer. If 8'6" includes the maxi fan, that would explain why Terry has a different measurement from the Escape website.
Yes, the MaxxFan is standard equipment, and so must be included in an overall height specification; that's my assumption.

Quote:
The 19 is 8'6". The Dometic Air Conditioner adds another 4" and the Polar Cub, which we have ordered adds another 1" to that. This means that the total height of our trailer would be 8'11"...
I think this (from the first post of the thread) means that
  • the trailer is 8'6" tall in base form, including the MaxxFan (which stands about 6" above the roof)
  • the Dometic air conditioner is 4" taller than the MaxxFan (or about 10" above the roof)
  • the Polar Cub is 1" taller than the Dometic, or 5" taller the MaxxFan (or about 11" above the roof); thus the trailer with the Polar Cub is 8'11" tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Takes two, but I used a four foot level taped to an eight foot 2X4. I rest on end on the trailer high point and from a ladder I raise the other end until the 2x4 is level.
That's when my partner measures with a tape.
That's about what I would do... although since the trailer is less than 8 feet wide, you can use just the four-foot level without a board.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:38 AM   #25

The Plan: Instead of raising the doorway we're going to lower the floor. Details to follow.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:53 AM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
The Plan: Instead of raising the doorway we're going to lower the floor. Details to follow.
Hi: Ruthe... Good old "Plan B" Eh? Puts a hole new slant on things!!!Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:08 AM   #27

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozy Rosie View Post
We store our 15 in the garage each winter here in Vermont. We lower our trailer by removing the wheels and replacing them with a set of rims I bought for $50. This reduces the height by 6" and the trailer fits with a few inches to spare.

Dan and Anne
Cozy Rosie 15A
Great (and cheap) solution!
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:14 AM   #28

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you can not raise the bridge, you lower the river....
Old 09-05-2016, 11:38 AM   #29

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozy Rosie View Post
We store our 15 in the garage each winter here in Vermont. We lower our trailer by removing the wheels and replacing them with a set of rims I bought for $50. This reduces the height by 6" and the trailer fits with a few inches to spare.

Dan and Anne
Cozy Rosie 15A
I'm hoping that works for mine. I have to sell the Campster before there will be room in the garage, but I'll be able to see how close it is and whether a garage remodel may be in order. It would be fine to only store it in the winter if that works.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:25 PM   #30

Update on the garage

Terry just called to tell me that our Escape is safely bedded in the garage on our new property. I think the floor was lowered a foot -- It turned out that the wood planks were not in such good condition, so there was no problem removing them, digging down, putting in gravel and grading the outside of the garage.

Before he could do that, he needed to drain the system and put in the antifreeze and had a. Really hard time with the water pump, which wouldn't prime. Finally he read the manual, took it apart and cleaned the strainer,which he said didn't have much sediment. But when he put it back together it worked great.

So we've got mousetraps set out, smelly stuff recommended by the forum and we'll hope for the best this winter. It's a big relief not to have to back it into our very narrow driveway on a busy street and we won't be taking any trips until next summer anyway.

I'll update you next spring.