Can I get a flat tire - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2023, 08:39 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Can I get a flat tire

I’m buying a 5.0 that’s been sitting for quite a while. I’m concerned that when I move it I’ll have a blowout from “dry rotting.” Anyone know how to fix this problem?
shlm2umac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 08:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 ATC 31'
Depending upon how long it's been sitting, you may be able to tow it to a tire shop. Look for the date code on the tire, it is the last digits of the DOT number embossed on the sidewall. It will look like 2619, meaning the tire was manufactured on the 26th week of 2019. If the tire is less than 6 years old, you can tow it some distance at moderate speed, but plan to replace the tires soon. If the tires are over six years and less 10 years old, you can tow it on surface streets to a nearby tire shop. Tires over 10 years old should be replaced before moving the trailer. I have found Les Schwab to be a good source for tires. In any case, ensure the tires are inflated to the pressure marked on the sidewall before moving the trailer. Good luck!
2020 31' ATC Toyhauler
CE Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 09:00 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by shlm2umac View Post
I’m buying a 5.0 that’s been sitting for quite a while. I’m concerned that when I move it I’ll have a blowout from “dry rotting.” Anyone know how to fix this problem?
IMHO, the only way to 100% fix your concern is to replace the tires. Personally, I would inflate the tires to 50psi (assuming they are the OEM tires) tow to a reputable tire shop and have them evaluated by a professional.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 09:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 E19
For aged tires, I would add: don't tow too fast while making your way to the tire store. In other words, no 65 or 70 mph.
Old 05-02-2023, 09:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I would buy Goodyear Endurance tires. Made in USA
YMMV
Iowa Dave
Old 05-02-2023, 09:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 ATC 31'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
YMMV
Iowa Dave
I agree the Goodyear Endurance are top quality, but they are hard to find here in the Northwest. I've had good success with Carlisle and Towmax tires, both are readily available around here.
2020 31' ATC Toyhauler
CE Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 11:06 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
I'm curious what "sitting quite awhile" means.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 11:37 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
You might want to buy one of the TMS systems.
Check the air pressure and install the TMS, that way you can monitor the tires till you are able to get them replaced. There is a current thread about TMS with some good suggestions and you can then use the monitor system on the new tires.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 06:08 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
shim,

All the above have good advice.

You mention that the trailer is a 5.0, so that often signifies the early single axle fifth wheel. If that's the case you would be more cautious than a newer twin axle, often referred to as a 5.0 TA.

Please mention what year the trailer is. Then let the forum know what brand tire it currently has. Also check the spare for brand, age, and inflation. Sometimes that four digit age indicator is on the inside (not readily visible) side of the tire. Bring enough tools to change a tire and a jack of some sort. Borrow or buy a tire inflator, which could be 12 volt or even a stand up bicycle pump. Chances that all tires are fully inflated will be slim. Digital air pressure gauge would be good, but don't move it without checking pressure. As the saying goes, ask me how I know. If you move it with tires over 10 years old, you'd best creep to the tire store. There's no reason you can't take the tires off and transport them to the tire store.

You also didn't say whether you'd be towing 10 miles or a thousand.

Dry rot is sort of an old phrase. Tires do degrade with age, but not really rot. Depends of how the trailer was stored: indoors v. outdoors, shade v. sun, hot v. cool. dry(Arizona) v. PNW.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 07:49 AM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
This thread reminds of an American Pickers episode where Mike and Frank come across a barn find vintage Airstream. The episode would lead you to believe that they simply aired up the tires and towed it from California to Iowa.

DON'T DO THAT!

In addition to tires, you also need to be concerned about wheel bearings and if they were properly maintained. Like other posters have said, provide us with some more details and we can be more help that you probably want!
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 09:09 AM   #11

Trailer: WTB: E19
Quote:
YMMV
Iowa Dave
I second that....
Old 05-03-2023, 09:25 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
YMMV
Iowa Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... I'm retired too. I replaced the Carlyle's with Goodyear Endurance in 2019. The OEM tires looked good on the out sidewall but the treads were cracked& ready to separate. Dodged a bullet there!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 10:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
shim,

All the above have good advice.

You mention that the trailer is a 5.0, so that often signifies the early single axle fifth wheel. If that's the case you would be more cautious than a newer twin axle, often referred to as a 5.0 TA.

Please mention what year the trailer is. Then let the forum know what brand tire it currently has. Also check the spare for brand, age, and inflation. Sometimes that four digit age indicator is on the inside (not readily visible) side of the tire. Bring enough tools to change a tire and a jack of some sort. Borrow or buy a tire inflator, which could be 12 volt or even a stand up bicycle pump. Chances that all tires are fully inflated will be slim. Digital air pressure gauge would be good, but don't move it without checking pressure. As the saying goes, ask me how I know. If you move it with tires over 10 years old, you'd best creep to the tire store. There's no reason you can't take the tires off and transport them to the tire store.

You also didn't say whether you'd be towing 10 miles or a thousand.

Dry rot is sort of an old phrase. Tires do degrade with age, but not really rot. Depends of how the trailer was stored: indoors v. outdoors, shade v. sun, hot v. cool. dry(Arizona) v. PNW.
Hi: Bill and Earleen... I never had a flat with our 5.0 single axle but I did with our 5.0 TA. The tire repair guy in Fl. said that the 1st. tire rolled over the dry wall screw and set it up to puncture the 2nd. tire. At least we could air it up to tug out to the shop, plug and patch while we waited.
A memory from Highlands Hammock State Pk. Since then I carry a mini tire inflator in the tug. Alf
Old 05-03-2023, 10:12 AM   #14

Thank you for all the excellent feedback and advice. It’s a 2014 and they are in BC. The trailer sits out but in a small space between other structures. No trees around it. It is not a TA. I think I’m going to take the tires off and get turn checked at a tire store. Again, thank you so much.
Marjorie Farquhar
Old 05-03-2023, 08:41 PM   #15

Don't forget the spare.

Best to bring along the spare. If it was covered this whole time, you might get a green light to keep it as the spare.

Get them to show you the date codes on the new tires, which are the manufactured week and year. I've had a shop try to sell me tires over a year old. They can get them just a couple of months old.

Since this is a single axle, I'd really hold out for Goodyear Endurance, Load Range D. Original equipment was most likely Carlisle Load Range C. The Goodyears have a higher load rating, a higher speed rating, and a higher inflation (PSI), all of which indicates to me a better tire. The Carlisles that came with our trailer, although made in China, did fine for 38,000 miles, but for a few dollars more, get the better ones.

Goodyear Endurance have the best reputation. I'm on my second set, having run 40,000 miles on the first, without incident.
Old 05-03-2023, 11:27 PM   #16

Actually, it is a TA.
Old 05-04-2023, 06:46 AM   #17

Discount Tire in Bellingham has 7 of the Endurance in 205/75/15 which I assume is the size on that TA.

If there are 9 year old original tires on there, it's up to you whether you try to pull the trailer there. You didn't say if the trailer is in Southern BC or way on up. If you do try that, air up all five tires to 50 PSI and plot out a route that allows you to go no more than 40 miles per hour. No big highways with high speeds.

By the way, there was a thread on here a few days ago that tells about the paperwork needed to import/export a used Escape to the U.S.
Old 05-04-2023, 08:19 AM   #18

Quote:
Actually, it is a TA.
Hi: shlm2umac... Remember "There's a lot riding on those tires"!!! Seeing the cracks running around in the tread groves after 5 years sent me straight to the tire dealer. He wanted to put another set of "China bombs" on the trailer. I had to plead and educate him on the Made in USA., Goodyear Endurance tire. When I went back to get the trailer with the new rubbers on he tells me how much heavier those tires are. Maybe 7-10 lbs. each, and 40 bucks more a tire. Our 5.0TA is worth it though!!! Alf
Old 05-04-2023, 09:00 AM   #19

The tires are the original Carlisle, have no cracks, and are at 35 lbs. They are 9 years old. Thank you.
Old 05-04-2023, 09:03 AM   #20

There are no visible cracks, they are at 35 lbs. The tires are Carlisle, and we are driving from Pitt Meadows in BC to Everson in the US. approximately 25 miles. All flat.