Clean your A/C filter! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2017, 12:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Clean your A/C filter!

I'm posting this in case someone else has neglected their trailer's air conditioner.

Yesterday I noticed that my trailer's air conditioner was just barely working. The air coming out was cold enough, but there was almost no velocity; it was barely moving.

I suspected a low voltage situation, but by the time I managed to check the voltage with a multimeter it was okay at 120V. Hmm. Then I looked at the intake grill and thought "ya know, maybe this thing has an air filter." I'd never considered it before because the intake grill doesn't look like it's removable. So I finally decided to read the fine manual. Sure enough-- the air filter is supposed to be washed after every two weeks of A/C use. Oops.

The intake grill is removable after all, but it's tricky, and removing the filter from the grill is a bit tricky as well. But after I washed the filthy thing, let it dry, and put it back in, the A/C worked much better. I'm still not convinced that this was the only problem and I'll check the voltage again, but it was certainly most of the problem.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
If you now have enough airflow, but the air is not quite cold enough, try checking the outdoor side to see if the condenser is obstructed. We have poplar trees here, and get a lot of seed fluff in the "radiator" of the air conditioner if it is run during the spring.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 aka "Bon Temps"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I'm posting this in case someone else has neglected their trailer's air conditioner.

Yesterday I noticed that my trailer's air conditioner was just barely working. The air coming out was cold enough, but there was almost no velocity; it was barely moving.

I suspected a low voltage situation, but by the time I managed to check the voltage with a multimeter it was okay at 120V. Hmm. Then I looked at the intake grill and thought "ya know, maybe this thing has an air filter." I'd never considered it before because the intake grill doesn't look like it's removable. So I finally decided to read the fine manual. Sure enough-- the air filter is supposed to be washed after every two weeks of A/C use. Oops.

The intake grill is removable after all, but it's tricky, and removing the filter from the grill is a bit tricky as well. But after I washed the filthy thing, let it dry, and put it back in, the A/C worked much better. I'm still not convinced that this was the only problem and I'll check the voltage again, but it was certainly most of the problem.
Just so happened to remove and clean my filter today. It definitely something you don't want to overlook. Escape did mention to clean the filter periodically during our Orientation.

We received an instruction paper on the digital thermostat but nothing on the A/C unit from Escape. I sent an email to Dometic today with the SKU# 9105305700 and Mfg # 640310C451C0 asking if there was a manual or documentation available online as I haven't been able to find any.

My AC unit is a Dometic Penguin II and I assume it 11000 BTU although you get conflicting info on the website where in one place it says 13500 and in another 11000. Couldn't find anything on AC label to indicate the BTU of the unit. Also there was a relay box that was not secured shoved up in the unit, Is that normal?
Attached Thumbnails
Dometic .jpg   AC relay box.jpg  
Old 09-12-2017, 11:05 AM   #4

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Thanks Mike....
There's a lot of flex in that grill.... I imagine that contributes to the noice when the unit is running.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike & Donna View Post
We received an instruction paper on the digital thermostat but nothing on the A/C unit from Escape. I sent an email to Dometic today with the SKU# 9105305700 and Mfg # 640310C451C0 asking if there was a manual or documentation available online as I haven't been able to find any.

My AC unit is a Dometic Penguin II and I assume it 11000 BTU although you get conflicting info on the website where in one place it says 13500 and in another 11000.
There are dozens of variants, even within the Penguin II model line of the Dometic RV air conditioners. They range from 11,000 BTU/hr (no indication of capacity in name), through 13,500 BTU/hr (includes "13,500 BTU" in name), to 15,000 BTU/hr ("high capacity"). Although I don't see a unit with exactly that SKU, the SKU# 9105305701 is an 11,000 BTU/hr unit, so my guess is that is the capacity that you have.

There can be very little difference between related models with different cooling capacity. Other features - such as package height, controls, a resistance heating strip, and heat pump functionality - make much more difference to the design and operation (and to the price).

The Dometic web site for manuals is organized by Product Number (not SKU), so you might want to include that (it's on the label). Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to provide a manual for 936002239.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
There are dozens of variants, even within the Penguin II model line of the Dometic RV air conditioners. They range from 11,000 BTU/hr (no indication of capacity in name), through 13,500 BTU/hr (includes "13,500 BTU" in name), to 15,000 BTU/hr ("high capacity"). Although I don't see a unit with exactly that SKU, the SKU# 9105305701 is an 11,000 BTU/hr unit, so my guess is that is the capacity that you have.

There can be very little difference between related models with different cooling capacity. Other features - such as package height, controls, a resistance heating strip, and heat pump functionality - make much more difference to the design and operation (and to the price).

The Dometic web site for manuals is organized by Product Number (not SKU), so you might want to include that (it's on the label). Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to provide a manual for 936002239.
I did hear back from Dometic and they sent me a pdf copy of the Installation and Operation manual for my AC model based on Mfg#/Model number of 64031 which also covers Models 459530 459530A B59530 640310. They certainly due have a lot of different models. Can get confusing. Appreciate the response.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:39 PM   #7

Quote:
I did hear back from Dometic and they sent me a pdf copy of the Installation and Operation manual for my AC model based on Mfg#/Model number of 64031 which also covers Models 459530 459530A B59530 640310.
Excellent!
It would be nice to have in the forum's Files collection, in the Manuals folder.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Excellent!
It would be nice to have in the forum's Files collection, in the Manuals folder.
Done, it's now waiting on Moderator approval.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:32 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
no where here for approval
try again
Old 09-12-2017, 06:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
no where here for approval
try again
It;s in the Files area
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 6.54.23 PM.png  
Old 09-12-2017, 07:10 PM   #11

For one reason I can not find them to/for approval
on edit, found and approved, thank you
Old 09-12-2017, 08:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Thanks!
Old 06-14-2020, 05:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma View Post
Excuse me, I have a question. The reason my air conditioner stopped blowing cold air is because the air filter is too dirty. Is that right? Give me some advices to my air conditioner cleaner? Thanks.
try here https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/d...?do=file&id=69
Old 06-27-2020, 05:11 AM   #14

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Looks fine, but keep in mind it's a different air conditioner.
Old 11-20-2020, 03:01 PM   #15

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Thanks Mike, I was just looking for the same manual.
To answer your other question about the junction box just sitting there, mine is the same way. Seems like it would block some of the airflow the way it just sits over part of the intake.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:08 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Cleaned mine today

The filter assembly is behind and part of the overhead AC vent, A thin pry tool can pop it off. My filter did not look bad, but it was gunked up plenty with fibers and hairs.

Do this maintence task. Takes 10 minutes, go slow, but it has got to be beneficial.
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:22 PM   #17

Trailer: 2018 21 Escape
Air conditioner filter replacement

Anyone know how to find a filter replacement and what I can use to add additional filtering without damaging the air conditioner?

I have a 2018 21 Escape. I clean the air conditioner filter often and it seems to be unraveling in one of the corners so I put a little tape on it. I would like to get a replacement same or better would be amazing!! Having problems finding on the internet.. Also, I don't seem to have a book on my air conditioner.
bonitaraders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:50 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonitaraders View Post
Anyone know how to find a filter replacement and what I can use to add additional filtering without damaging the air conditioner?

I have a 2018 21 Escape. I clean the air conditioner filter often and it seems to be unraveling in one of the corners so I put a little tape on it. I would like to get a replacement same or better would be amazing!! Having problems finding on the internet.. Also, I don't seem to have a book on my air conditioner.
The air filter is listed as a part of Dometic Air Distribution Box ADB 3314850.000.
https://www.dometic.com/en-us/climat...tion-box-49997

The filter should be Dometic pn 3315333.003.
https://pantherrvproducts.com/3315333-003/
https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-33153.../dp/B071CPHMGM