Cleaning solar panel - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2014, 07:12 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 19' hatch date Feb. 27
Cleaning solar panel

What product do you use for cleaning your solar panel and does anyone wax their panel?
ADKzookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:39 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKzookeeper View Post
What product do you use for cleaning your solar panel and does anyone wax their panel?
Hi: ADKzookeeper... I'm not sure... but I'm going to have to learn. I would be inclined to use 303 Aerospace Protector 303® Products are the leading line of premium protectants and cleaners on the market today...but that's only a guess. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:15 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'd just use water, wax or some other cleaner may effect it's performance.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:50 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
REC Solar, a large installer recommends simply washing with a garden hose as long as your water is contaminant free such as hydrogen sulfide.
You can use soap and water if you wish-just use bio-degradable, non-filming soap. Don't use anything abrasive, including brush, etc., and wash panels in the early morning or early evening hours just before dusk when the panels are cool.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:07 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I use plain water. I'd avoid any product that offers UV protection - while the UV portion of sunlight that reaches the panel is pretty low, every watt halls!
Old 06-12-2017, 07:29 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I use plain water. I'd avoid any product that offers UV protection - while the UV portion of sunlight that reaches the panel is pretty low, every watt halls!
Jon, I am wondering about the trade off's. As the panels age, the surface of older ones I have seen seem to become somewhat cloudy. While the 303 might slightly reduce UV transmission, I'm wondering if the long term use would help prevent the clouding, which could make its use a net positive?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:18 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Jon, I am wondering about the trade off's. As the panels age, the surface of older ones I have seen seem to become somewhat cloudy. While the 303 might slightly reduce UV transmission, I'm wondering if the long term use would help prevent the clouding, which could make its use a net positive?

I am following this closely. So far, I have just used water to clean the solar panel, but am open to new ideas.

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:51 AM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKzookeeper View Post
Whatever brand of car wash I happen to be using. I do not wax or coat the panel with anything, like the windows. Makes me think of Rain-X, I do like the way water beads off of the windshield the few times I;ve used it.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:11 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Whatever brand of car wash I happen to be using. I do not wax or coat the panel with anything, like the windows. Makes me think of Rain-X, I do like the way water beads off of the windshield the few times I;ve used it.
Bob - I had the same thought about RainX. It works great on the trailer windows, especially the rear one that seems to attract lots of dirt when traveling.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:37 AM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I just went out to AM Solar and read the FAQs. This is what they say about cleaning:

How should I clean my solar panels?
You can clean solar panels like you would any piece of glass. Use a non-abrasive cleaning agent to avoid scratching the surface or removing the panel’s anti-reflective coating. If birds leave their mark on your panels it will be very important for you to remove the mess as the shaded portion can temporarily shut down the solar panel.

http://amsolar.com/diy-rv-solar-instructions/edfaq/
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:53 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
For both the trailer solar panels, and those on our house roof, we use just water. Thoroughly wet the panels, use a wetted soft brush or cloth to agitate/loosen dirt, then rinse and squeegee. (Repeat if necessary). I have used a little dawn detergent on the trailer panel to help loosen bird residues. We do Not use anything that leaves a residue or coating on the panels. We like the sun!

Edit: result on the house is a 10-20% increase in power when removing a month's worth of dirt/dust. We're in an agricultural county, so there's dust. But if you're in an urban area, especially near industrial, you'll still have a variety of junk on the panels over time.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:25 AM   #12

Trailer: -
I simply wash it with water.
JennBart is offline   Reply With Quote