Cleaning your Maxx Fan - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2017, 10:35 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Cleaning your Maxx Fan

While cleaning the Maxx fan for the very nice new owner of Grape Escape I had an idea and wondered if any of you fine Escape people have tried this before.
Would it work if a person used 303 or some type of polish on the blades and hood to help keep the dust and other particulates from sticking? I would love to hear if anyone has tried this and what type of results did they have.
grape_escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:17 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by grape_escape View Post
While cleaning the Maxx fan for the very nice new owner of Grape Escape I had an idea and wondered if any of you fine Escape people have tried this before.
Would it work if a person used 303 or some type of polish on the blades and hood to help keep the dust and other particulates from sticking? I would love to hear if anyone has tried this and what type of results did they have.
There is a lengthy thread on cleaning the MAXX fan. I even posted directions on removing the fan for cleaning, as it is impossible to get to a lot of the fan from underneath. You might want to do a search for lots of hints.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:36 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
There is a lengthy thread on cleaning the MAXX fan. I even posted directions on roving the fan for cleaning, as it is impossible to get to a lot of the fan from underneath. You might want to do a search for lots of hints.
www.escapeforum.org/forums/f12/cleaning-maxx-fan-4315.html
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:13 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
After cleaning but before reinstalling the fan, I'd suggest you coat the rubber gasket with your 303 protectorant, should keep it pliable.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:50 PM   #5

Quote:
There is a lengthy thread on cleaning the MAXX fan. I even posted directions on removing the fan for cleaning, as it is impossible to get to a lot of the fan from underneath. You might want to do a search for lots of hints.
I had no problem taking it apart to clean as it is held into place by a Allen screw but I should have mentioned that in the thread. With a lot of patience and small hands I was able to clean the entire inside. Was just wondering if a coat of 303 would help the dirt to not stick.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:18 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by grape_escape View Post
I had no problem taking it apart to clean as it is held into place by a Allen screw but I should have mentioned that in the thread. With a lot of patience and small hands I was able to clean the entire inside. Was just wondering if a coat of 303 would help the dirt to not stick.
I actually have small hands and thought I was doing a great job of cleaning the fan and vent. Then, I had to replace the crank mechanism which necessitated removing the fan from the roof. I was surprised to find what I did. Wish I had taken pictures for the group. As someone sensitive to mold and pollen, I will still make removal of the vent part of the cleaning process. There are just many parts of the lid lid you can't see let alone get to. It is less the dust than the condensation which allows mold and mildew to grown in nook and crannies of the lid.

As to the 303, to use it effectively it must be rubbed down which is time consuming. Also, no value to the UV protection. IMHO it is so easy to remove the blade and wash it, I wouldn't take the time with the 303 as it adds another step.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:25 AM   #7

Quote:
I actually have small hands and thought I was doing a great job of cleaning the fan and vent. Then, I had to replace the crank mechanism which necessitated removing the fan from the roof. I was surprised to find what I did. Wish I had taken pictures for the group. As someone sensitive to mold and pollen, I will still make removal of the vent part of the cleaning process. There are just many parts of the lid lid you can't see let alone get to. It is less the dust than the condensation which allows mold and mildew to grown in nook and crannies of the lid.

As to the 303, to use it effectively it must be rubbed down which is time consuming. Also, no value to the UV protection. IMHO it is so easy to remove the blade and wash it, I wouldn't take the time with the 303 as it adds another step.
Thank you for the information. It is good to know that there are some unseen areas that also have to be cleaned. This is why I enjoy most of this forum. The information that we can glean is priceless.