Dark stains on proflex sealant rings completely removed! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2021, 04:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Dark stains on proflex sealant rings completely removed!

Today I found a product that completely removed the dark stains that got stuck on Proflex sealant rings around trailer lights, hatch access doors and so on. The product is Metalube Corp CG's 4U Multipurpose Cleaner/Degreaser and is available now on Amazon in one gallon size only, the 1 qt size is sold out. It is not cheap at $39.50 per gallon but for what it can do which other cleaners I have tried can't it's totally worth it.

I was using it to try to remove some very faint dark streaks, you know the last bit of them that you have to look really hard and at the right angles under good lighting conditions to see. I have not been able to remove them after using more than half a dozen different cleaners including LA's Totally Awesome, The Reliable Super Spray Cleaner, WD40, hydrogen peroxide, Starbrite Mildew Stain Remover. But when I tried the Betalube's cleaner in an inconspicuous spot the faint streaks were finally gone.

Then I spotted the dark stain ring on the proflex sealant around the marker light nearby and gave it a try. I had no expectations but the result blew me away! I was so happy with the result that I made a short video to show how it works and just want to share it with my fellow escapees here.

Please note in the video after my cleaning there appears to be a gray vertical strip that looks like remaining dirt. It is not. I only noticed this after making the video. That gray strip is actually some sealant/putty that ETI used in installing the access hatch door and it sits between the proflex sealant and the hatch door frame. I attached a zoomed in picture below to show that there is no dirt remaining after cleaning using the Betalube's cleaner.

This is a concentrated cleaner and I used it at full strength on the stubborn stains but for general cleaning it's recommended to use it diluted per the product instructions. Hope it helps some of you out there struggling with the problem of removing the dark stain rings stuck on proflex sealant.

Cheers!

Attached Thumbnails
MVIMG_20210513_155528.jpg  
viator36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:54 PM   #2

Trailer: "The Roadrunner" 2021 Escape 5.0
Thanks for posting this, looks like a great product.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Cool! We’ve tried to clean some of the black around lights and other areas with no success. As soon as we’re back at home base we’ll put in an order.
Ellen Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
This works great as well! It also easily removes bug and tar stains. Great stuff!
Attached Thumbnails
995795F3-DB57-4EC8-9B96-17200E9575FF.jpg  
Mark&Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote