Decals Lifting - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2022, 08:47 PM   #21

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Our 2019 5.0 started losing some of its front decal within 1 year of purchase. Always wanted to do something about it but in the end I simply removed all of the decals on the nose and cleaned/waxed the trailer.

You can see in the picture below that at the right angles you can see the ghosts of the old decals; I actually don't mind it, looks cool

Click image for larger version

Name:	My 5TA Escape Trailer Dec 16 2021 Pic 2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	60584
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:31 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Most towns will have at least one automotive graphics shop that does vinyl work for auto body shops, car dealerships, businesses that have their names and logos on their doors and they also do custom work for drop in customers.

Since hardly anyone has a phone book any more(!!!), stop in at an auto collision repair shop, car dealership or parts store and ask where to find your local detailer.

They have an endless palette of colors, computerized scripts and an array of designs that will boggle your mind. When I had my Fog Lark script made for my trailer, my local shop gave me instructions for applying the script myself, they would have done it for me had I wished, then apologized for charging me their $10 minimum fee.

I came back later and had pin striping applied to both the truck and the car.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:47 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgntch View Post
Alf...can I ask if you put the new decals on a recently waxed trailer or if you waxed (or did anything else) afterwards to help the vinyl stay put? We are considering adding some to our 5.0 TA and wondering where in the spring cleaning and waxing cycle we should apply them.

Also, where did you get your decals from? We definitely want something that will last!!

Thanks!!
Hi:Jgntch... My pro graphics dealer used a solution to remove the wax where the new lettering was to be applied. It has been professionally detailed since then. Back then the decals were supplied by ETI but http://www.autotrimdesign.on.ca could have made them too. Here's a pic coming out of SRS's shop.http://www.srsdetailing.ca Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1050269.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:05 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 E19'
While I haven't personally done it, for wholesale removal I hear that it works well to lift up a corner of the vinyl, slide a length of dental floss under the flap, and saw back and forth sideways working your way along between the gelcoat and the vinyl. Hopefully this avoids hurting the gelcoat by not using a hard or sharp scraper or blade. And perhaps the judicious utilization of a heat gun helps.

I ordered our E19 naked, not wanting to distract from the clean and uncluttered look of the unadorned trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2636 1.jpg  
Old 01-27-2022, 09:21 PM   #25

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
And naked....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210927_111123534_HDR.jpg  
WanderBred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 07:48 AM   #26

Trailer: 2021 21NE
I am glad I read this thread. The front decals started peeling within a few months of delivery. I was ignoring the problem. After reading this thread I think it best for me to completely remove the peeling decals. I don't need a continuing maintenance problem or possible uneven ghosting when the last of the decals peels off or is removed for aesthetics reasons.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 08:10 AM   #27

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
This is why we ordered without decals. They have eventually peeled on every RV we owned, and I didn’t want extra unneeded maintenance. I do prefer the look of a few decals, like Escape does; however, It’s not worth it to me. The trailer is just another tool (toy) to make travels easier for us. Some brands go overboard on decals, and I personally do not like that look.
Old 03-13-2023, 06:16 PM   #28

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
We store our 5.0 out in the open, no cover. I drove out today to see how the snow melt was going and saw this. I think we'll go naked on the front end, once I can get at the trailer to remove what's left.
Attached Thumbnails
decals.png  
Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 09:12 PM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
The safest way to remove decals. A heat gun on low heat and a plastic razor blade.

YouTube “remove automotive decals”. Vinyls decals come off easily.

“Rapid Remover Adhesive Remover for Vinyl Wraps Graphics Decals Stripes”.
it’s kind of expensive but worth every penny. Removes the glue super fast and does not damage the vehicle surface.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 10:39 AM   #30

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Inferior vinyl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shearwater View Post
We store our 5.0 out in the open, no cover. I drove out today to see how the snow melt was going and saw this. I think we'll go naked on the front end, once I can get at the trailer to remove what's left.
That is disappointing that a 2021 trailer would already have an issue with peeling regardless of being covered or not. The graphics on our 2010 which has been outside without a cover most of its life still look almost like new.
Old 03-14-2023, 11:05 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
That is disappointing that a 2021 trailer would already have an issue with peeling regardless of being covered or not. The graphics on our 2010 which has been outside without a cover most of its life still look almost like new.
It is disappointing and there does seem to be a problem with the newer graphics that didn't exist before.

ETI may have changed graphics suppliers or switched to another grade of vinyl which isn't holding up so well.

If that's the case hopefully they'll go back to what they were using before.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 11:08 AM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
It is disappointing and there does seem to be a problem with the newer graphics that didn't exist before.

ETI may have changed graphics suppliers or switched to another grade of vinyl which isn't holding up so well.

If that's the case hopefully they'll go back to what they were using before.

Ron
Or it could be the way they're being put on. We know trailers come out of the molds with a good coating of wax. Every BIT of that wax needs to be removed in order for the decals to properly adhere. If that wasn't done, either at all or badly, the decals will lift.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 11:10 AM   #33

Trailer: 2021 21NE
The front decals on my 2021 model were pealing the day I picked it up. They continued to peal but not as fast as the first few months. It makes the trailer look a little ratty and unkempt so I will eventually remove them.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 12:10 PM   #34

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
It is disappointing and there does seem to be a problem with the newer graphics that didn't exist before.....
So far so good with my 2022 black graphics after almost 2 years exposed to Texas sun.

Fingers crossed ....
Old 03-14-2023, 01:15 PM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
I agree very disappointing for the graphics to peel ,
How mad would you be if you paid for custom graphics and they started to peel.

Donna is probably right, poor prep is the problem.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 02:01 PM   #36

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
There seems to be a problem. I would send that picture to ETI and see what they say. mines been out with no cover, and they look like new.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 04:46 PM   #37

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Our 2020 5.0TA has silver graphics and they started to peel and come off in 2021. We bought a new set a couple months ago, it was about $260 for a full set shipped to NY. No WTY on the stickers as I asked. I feel they should last a lot longer than this! Maybe I won’t even put them back on now……sad.
Suregrip391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 05:56 PM   #38
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
my experience with vinyl stickers is black lasts the longest. the lighter colors are more likely to fade and crack sooner.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 06:29 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I'm a bit puzzled by the notion of removing wax before applying decals.

First of all I've washed away felt pen markings etc. with acetone on new gelcoat . Afterwards they was still definitely wax remaining. The thought of scrubbing off wax on all areas that are going to have decals seems daunting at best.

I applied a boat name to a clean but otherwise unscrubbed transom. At the end of the 15 years that I owned the boat they were still in place. And that's after 8 years of salt air and bright sun in the Med.

So, a bit of puzzle with varying experiences by different folks.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 07:12 PM   #40

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suregrip391 View Post
Our 2020 5.0TA has silver graphics and they started to peel and come off in 2021. We bought a new set a couple months ago, it was about $260 for a full set shipped to NY. No WTY on the stickers as I asked. I feel they should last a lot longer than this! Maybe I won’t even put them back on now……sad.
Dispute the charge on your credit card. They should pay you to put them back on.

For others with this problem: rip the band-aid off!