dehumidifying plugged-in - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2020, 06:36 PM   #21

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
Only thing I would worry about is the shower drain having a trap that could freeze. Do they have a trap? Seems that the bathroom would get smelly if it didn’t.
Can't speak for a 21, but on my 5.0TA there was a P trap under the trailer just before the line went into the grey tank. The P looked to come from the sink and I'm guessing that the shower dumped into the same line just above the fiberglass floor.
Attached Thumbnails
004.JPG  
Old 11-03-2020, 06:41 PM   #22

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawbarry View Post
Have one of these and it works well https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Looked up that dehumidifier and it looks really good, I'm going to try and pick one up next spring. Thanks for the link!

As for humidity, I store my trailer outdoors in winter, no cover. I leave the maxivent and bathroom window barely cracked open so that the trailer and outdoors can exchange humidity freely; one thing I should note though is that here in central Ontario winters are generally quite cold and dry. Learned this trick from our cabin; we have had it for 25 years and it stays closed all winter with two windows cracked open all winter. This year we reno'ed all interior walls and so was able to see all the insulation and vapor barrier throughout the cabin, there was no sign of humidity at all in any of the walls!! Just leave something cracked, it works!
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:24 AM   #23

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatC View Post
What is best way to dehumidify in storage if you can plug-in?
Just a small fan to keep the air moving inside is all we've ever needed. That's in northern Ohio.

Lasko 2-Speed Clip Fan, 6-Inch, White
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 05:28 PM   #24

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
I ended up going with an inexpensive 22 pint Amazonbasics branded dehumidifier setup, draining into the shower pan via a short hose, with an open gray water drain and a short length garden hose outside the trailer. I zip tied a stainless steel screen (used for a washer hose strainer when they drain into a sink) onto the bottom of the hose.

The only issue is that when we've had a couple of cold nights down in the upper 20s, the dehumidifier has become completely ineffective (a quick read of the manual states that it loses effectiveness at 41F). I've switched a small (500w) space heater on when temps get into the 30s and left it on during the cold snaps.

Seems to be working really well overall. I really can't stand those slimy buckets with the calcium chloride pellets.
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 05:35 PM   #25

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Can't speak for a 21, but on my 5.0TA there was a P trap under the trailer just before the line went into the grey tank. The P looked to come from the sink and I'm guessing that the shower dumped into the same line just above the fiberglass floor.
I should have considered the possibility of the trap freezing (especially after pouring antifreeze into the trap when I winterized).

I think I might still be OK. Here in the NW (at least on the west side of the cascades), it rarely gets into below the upper 20s. I've discovered that as I get below 40 outside that I've been switching a space heater on instead of the dehumidifier, so I'm hoping that our mild winter weather, the heat in trailer and the spray foam insulation will protect that shower trap.
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote