Descale the hot water tank - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2020, 05:37 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Descale the hot water tank

Has anyone descaled their hot water tank. We went across the country last year and I noticed that the inside of the hot water tank has a coating of mineral deposits in places, including the anode. It is a problem in many places though not so much here on the west coast. The anode is easy to replace, but wasn't sure on what to do about the tank. I looked online to see what others have done about this. Seems they fill the hot water tank with about 50/50 water and vinegar then heat it up and leave it overnight. Then they rinse it out in the morning. I would assume the acid in the vinegar dissolves the calcium and leaves the tank pretty clear of deposits. Anyone done this on their escape?
swingplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:32 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I just flush out the loose sediment with a HW tank flusher/rinser. I've never heard of it being an issue.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:56 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and you need not replace the anode until it disappears, the scale that is present means it is doing it's job, it is a sacrificial anode to keep the tank from rusting
Old 06-27-2020, 01:40 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Okay. Well, thanks. I thought the anode's job was to sacrifice itself rather than have the tank eaten away. Kind of like boats have a zinc on them to prevent galvanic corrosion. The scale however is different. It is caused by hard water with a lot of minerals in it. These minerals get deposited on the inside of the tank. The current anode is eaten away but also has some deposits on it as does the inside of the tank. Too much of this can ruin a hot water tank. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with it.
swingplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 05:42 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Perhaps a local plumbing supply familiar with your local water issues can advise. Also pictures of the anode would help for others to provide an opinion as to replacement is needed.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 17B
I used the vinegar and water remedy several times in my class C Atwood heater ( no anode rod) and it did a good job removing the mineral deposit buildup. Just clean out the water heater with the special hose attachment before running your water pump. I haven’t used vinegar in my Escape yet so can’t say if it would work.
Calicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingplay View Post
Okay. Well, thanks. I thought the anode's job was to sacrifice itself rather than have the tank eaten away. Kind of like boats have a zinc on them to prevent galvanic corrosion. The scale however is different. It is caused by hard water with a lot of minerals in it. These minerals get deposited on the inside of the tank. The current anode is eaten away but also has some deposits on it as does the inside of the tank. Too much of this can ruin a hot water tank. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with it.
Instantaneous hot water heaters in homes are descaled regularly in certain areas depending on water chemistry. Maybe the same kind of descaler can be used? Could probably remove the relief valve and pump it in. Maybe a call to Suburban customer service would be prudent before trying.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hercules...5230/205086908

Tags
descaling hot water tank, maintenance