Disc brake conversion - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2021, 04:11 PM   #21

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B
Thanks for the reply PJW. I had wondered about the disks getting rusty. What was the cause of the extra maintenance? I would think an occasional brake fluid change would be about it?
flynfrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:01 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJW View Post
...Compared to my conversion costs your estimate seems very low, factoring-in the dual vs single axles.
W
Eastern Marine has kits that include everything you need starting at $799 for single axle trailer. Looks like dual axle start about $1000.

https://www.easternmarine.com/em-com...isc-brake-kits
Old 09-09-2021, 08:46 PM   #23

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynfrfun View Post
I decided to replace my old brake assemblies and hub/drums. I want to give the electric brakes a fair chance and start with all new parts and see how it goes. Thanks for all the input from everyone. Really like the idea of disk brakes but a little leery about the actuator. Basically if it fails after the 2yr warranty you are buying another one for $600ish. I was able to get all my Dexter brake assemblies/drum parts for about $350 including Timken bearings/races.
Knowing that Dexter uses Chinese bearings and races, are you implying that you bought the Timken Bearings and races and swapped them out? Timken bearings and seals for two hubs/one axle are about $50 ish.

Cheapest I have found were Timken SETs (bearing and race in one box) from Summit Racing. For example, the bearings, races, and seals for two axles, from an industrial supplier such as B&D or Motion Industries is about $160 total, while the four of SET4 and four of SET17 plus four genuine National seals, will run right at $100.

Charles
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 05:29 PM   #24

Yes, I swapped out the Dexter chinese bearings and races for Timken. Maybe they are fake Timkens...I don't know how to differentiate. Purchased SET 4 and SET 17 bearings and races on Amazon. About $10/SET for a total of about $40. They are laser etched "USA" on the bearings and races.
Old 09-19-2021, 05:58 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Yes, I swapped out the Dexter chinese bearings and races for Timken. Maybe they are fake Timkens...I don't know how to differentiate. Purchased SET 4 and SET 17 bearings and races on Amazon. About $10/SET for a total of about $40. They are laser etched "USA" on the bearings and races.
I remember reading about years ago, after WWII about a town in Japan they renamed to USA to bypass the foreign made stigma as well as the WWII affiliation, of course now Japan seems to have bypassed USA in quality.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:40 AM   #26

Hi Jim...yes that thought occurred to me about the USA having more than one meaning or location. However I wasn't going to waste a lot of time with it. Either way I was hoping that the bearings would be of good quality. I'm sure there are good Chinese bearings and lower quality Chinese bearings. At the end of the day, my plan was for the best bearings I could get within reason.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:11 AM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Getting my bearings!!!

Quote:
Hi Jim...yes that thought occurred to me about the USA having more than one meaning or location. However I wasn't going to waste a lot of time with it. Either way I was hoping that the bearings would be of good quality. I'm sure there are good Chinese bearings and lower quality Chinese bearings. At the end of the day, my plan was for the best bearings I could get within reason.
Hi: flynfrfun... There's definately a bearing on this issue. Are they made in USA Japan or Made in the USA? I just had mine repacked w/ new seals and crown nut plates. They're original equipment from 2014. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:46 AM   #28

Hi Alf,
I don't know which USA they are made in. I could have continued using the old Chinese bearings as they passed my inspection and were only a few yrs old. While I was replacing the brakes and drums I decided to upgrade to the Timkens and hopefully not mess with them again for a long time. You know...peace of mind kind of thing. For all I know the Timkens will fail me and the Chinese wouldn't have...but I feel better...for now.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:27 PM   #29

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
I concur with your sentiments

It's all about what you prefer, want or desire. And if installed properly, I don't see any possible downside.
Timken, Slimken! Whatever works.

Many decades ago, my dad worked for Timken, briefly, I recall. I don't know the rest of THAT story. Pre-WWII days. I wasn't around at the time.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:45 AM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Rpod 151
Disc brake modulation is much better and less chance of locking up the trailer wheels. I would upgrade. Even road bicycles have disc brakes as standard now.
mtbmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 02:38 PM   #31

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I run Timken bearings, Lucas grease, and Dexter brakes. The bigger concern for me is that people do regular inspection on any system and keep things operating as they were designed and properly lubicated and adjusted. Things from countries other than the ISA have problems too. Make intelligent choices and don’t be afraid to admit something that was highly touted and you bought was failure and a mistake. Just don’t make the same mistake twice.
Iowa Dave