Does waxing improve longevity or is it just for looks? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2023, 02:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21 NE
Does waxing improve longevity or is it just for looks?

Just wondering if it's worth the trouble to wax the roof? I'm all in on doing the rest cause I like the way it looks, but does the wax do anything other than make it shiny and pretty?
GregColdewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 03:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
My guess

My guess is it helps protect the gel coat from "chalking" and losing its luster and shine. Physically, it doesn't do much. A chalky older fiberglass boat or trailer can be restored with cleaning, buffing, sometimes fine grit sanding, and waxing or other coatings.

I guess it depends on your tolerance of maintenance work and thoroughness.

I had a 20 year old Casita that was out in the sun all its life, I think. With the restoration process, I got it very shiny using Poli-Glo, a marine/for fiberglass, acrylic coating. That stuff works well & lasts long, unlike wax.

Waxing sure won't hurt, but look into Poli-Glo for longer term gelcoat protection. I swear by that stuff, and also used it on a 20 year old fiberglass sailboat. I have an amount to do my Escape, but it's covered all the time and hasn't needed protection. Folks have used floor waxes, but I never thought they were formulated for UV protection.

Cover your rig, and you will greatly reduce UV degradation of the gelcoat, plastic and rubber components.

Old Sol is really tough on many materials, and you see a lot of him where you're at..
Attached Thumbnails
vintage-sun.jpg  
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 04:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
While I agree the neglected f.g. can mostly be brought back to life I've often seen examples that had gelcoat beyond recovery. At some point after the dulling and chalking there can come a point where the gelcoat is so fragile that it starts to crack and fall apart.

Unfortunately after 50 plus years around marinas I've seen a few sleepy boats go that way. Always sad to see.

Waxing the roof, even only once every couple of years will go a long way to ensure that it has a long life.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 09:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
What Ron said. I'll be out there any day now.
Attached Thumbnails
waxing.jpg  
Old 04-18-2023, 08:30 AM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21 NE
Thanks

Thanks for the advice...guess I'll get busy waxing.
GregColdewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 08:54 AM   #6

Trailer: 2012 E19
So if I wax my own body, I'll improve my longevity? That would explain why women go in for body waxing... and women tend to outlive men, hmmm....
Old 04-18-2023, 10:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
What Ron said. I'll be out there any day now.
Me too, if the rain ever stops.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
19-04-2020 7-49-06 PM_0005_resize.jpg  
Old 04-18-2023, 10:51 AM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregColdewey View Post
Just wondering if it's worth the trouble to wax the roof? I'm all in on doing the rest cause I like the way it looks, but does the wax do anything other than make it shiny and pretty?
We neglected our Rpod which had a fiberglass outer layer on plywood. We were able to restore it from the dreaded chalkies but it took a significant amount of time and effort. Something I don't relish doing again. We plan on waxing the 5.0 top to bottom a couple of times a year.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 11:38 AM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I used PolyGlo on my Campster. It did a beautiful job but I did have to reapply as frequently as 1-2 years despite storing inside. Very quick to do, though. But you have to remove any wax before you apply it. I used PolyPrep the first time. Agree on the floor waxes- One bottle of PolyGlo worked on my Campster for 10 years so the savings was minimal and it dries faster than floor wax.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 12:44 PM   #10

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I used PolyGlo on my Campster. It did a beautiful job but I did have to reapply as frequently as 1-2 years despite storing inside. Very quick to do, though. But you have to remove any wax before you apply it. I used PolyPrep the first time. Agree on the floor waxes- One bottle of PolyGlo worked on my Campster for 10 years so the savings was minimal and it dries faster than floor wax.
Zep floor wax dries in less than 30 minutes at 75F, or about the time it takes me to go around the camper.

If you had to reapply as often as 1-2 years and stored inside I'd say your use of PolyGlo wasn't as good as our current Zep. Our campers sit outside 24/7/365.

Zep and PolyGlo are basically the same products, but with different advertising. I've used both, and aside from price, really didn't see a difference.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 04-27-2023, 08:33 AM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
I would imagine that the clear coat protection over the paint is much like the automotive industry standard that after a few years degrades due to UV and other natural weather conditions. The clear coat is great in that it doesn't allow for the oxidation of the paint , but the clear coat itself does degrade, much like a varnish, and after a few years without protecting it with a good quality auto wax (not an abrasive rubbing compound, as clear coat does easily scratch) the clear coat will crystalize and the only way to repair is to remove and repaint, much like a car. An older model Camaro would be a good comparison, having a fiberglass body. If left outdoors or uncovered the roof would be the most vulnerable. I wax my Escape yearly, even though it's stored indoors. Not only does it provide protection against the UV rays it also allows for the deep cleaning such as the removal of bugs and tree droppings, all of which also damage the clear coat. It is important to wax somewhat regularly as the wax itself will wash or otherwise wear off.
jontom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 05:15 PM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
One big benefit for waxing every year. Cleaning up bugs is MUCH easier. Particularly on the front of the 5.0. Plus I like taking a few days and hanging out with the trailer in the driveway. With a beer!

I use Meguiars Fiberglass wax and clean it with BioGreen Clean. If you do not know of this cleaner, it is highly recommended and very safe.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 08:13 PM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
It absolutely makes the Fibreglass last longer!!!
Old 04-27-2023, 08:42 PM   #14

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
I use Meguiars Fiberglass wax and clean it with BioGreen Clean. If you do not know of this cleaner, it is highly recommended and very safe.
What are the ingredients of that cleaner? I looked online at multiple sites, including the mfr's site, and couldn't find the info. Other companies post what's in their cleaners, and it makes me a bit hesitant to buy something when the mfr won't say straight up what's in theirs.
Old 04-28-2023, 08:58 AM   #15

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
What are the ingredients of that cleaner? I looked online at multiple sites, including the mfr's site, and couldn't find the info. Other companies post what's in their cleaners, and it makes me a bit hesitant to buy something when the mfr won't say straight up what's in theirs.
Here is what I can show you. The inventor lived right behind Boulder in a little town called Ward. He died of the flu a few years back. Very well known product in town and one of the best cleaners I have ever used. I started using it about 12 years ago. Here are a few screen shots.
Attached Thumbnails
BioGreenClean-01.jpg   BioGreenClean-02.jpg   BioGreenClean-03.jpg  
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 12:28 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
It absolutely makes the Fibreglass last longer!!!
Not only does waxing increase the longevity of the fiberglass, but indirectly, the mere act of thoroughly washing a waxing you trailer periodically helps you identify potential issues before they become big issues. It also helps you get familiar with your rig.

When I was in the motorcycle industry, we encouraged bike owners to wash their machines at least once a month for those very reasons.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 01:39 PM   #17

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
I have worked on 30-40 year old neglected fiberglass trailers and boats. The gelcoat will get chalky and can erode away to the bare fiberglass. On the other hand, constant buffing with rubbing compound will also eat away your gelcoat. I use a lighter polishing compond once every 1-2 years and wash with a good automotive soap after each use. The best bet is to store inside if at all possible.
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 04:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by elongest View Post

On the other hand, constant buffing with rubbing compound will also eat away your gelcoat.
I agree and since you don't know the thickness of the gelcoat you're kind of playing with fire to routinely use cleaners that have any kind of abrasive. Gelcoat can range from very thin to very thick. Depends on the applicator.

A lot of operations spray black gelcoat over the white. It improves the visibility when rolling out. The first sign of wearing through the gelcoat is often the appearance of of a blackish tinge. But that time you realize that you've made a boo-boo.

Ron
Old 04-28-2023, 08:05 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
An ounce of prevention...
Besides, waxing the trailer burns a lot of stored calories...and I've plenty of those to burn.
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 08:57 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Look on their website there is a sds that list the ingredients
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote