dometic extended warranty? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2016, 05:53 PM   #1

Trailer: ex Casita/ 2016 Escape 21 '16 TRD 4x4
Unhappy dometic extended warranty?

Should I get the extended warranty from Dometic after the 2 years are up from ETI? We had a Casita with a Dometic fridge for 10 years without any problems.

Its 1 year $99, 2 years $129, 3 years $169

Jerry
jerryandmaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Only you can answer the question. But, keep in mind that extended warranties make money for the company offering them or they wouldn't exist.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
And does it require that you have the fridge serviced at x dollars each year for the warranty to remain in effect?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I've never bought an extended warranty for any product ever. Well, I did once and I learned my lesson. I figure that the product will go bad right off the bat or if it does while under the extended warranty period, there will always be some reason the warranty doesn't cover it. Waste of money in my opinion. But, once again, everyone's comfort level is different.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:36 PM   #5

Trailer: ex Casita/ 2016 Escape 21 '16 TRD 4x4
extended warranty

Ok- I'll pass. Checked on Consumer Reports and they don't recommend one. They say that an appliance will probably fail within the first two years, so I'm covered by both ETI and Dometic during that time. The newer model would be nice also. I'll spend the money on something else.
jerry
jerryandmaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:44 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I bought one of the first flat screen large format HDTVs many years ago. I broke from my long standing practice of declining any extended warranty or service plan, and went ahead and got it for 3 years. It's now 14 years later. The TV still works fine, and that money was wasted. Back to my long standing practice. Do a little research and you'll find that service plans and extended warranties are, the vast majority of the time, a complete waste of money.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:13 PM   #7

Sales guy at The Source asked me if I wanted extended warranty on a $1.69 plug adapter. Cost was fifty cents.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:51 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Extended warranties can make sense when the product covered is worse than the "warranty" company expects, or you use the product a lot more than expected (so are more likely to notice a failure) - the one on our motorhome has paid off. Given my experience with Dometic products, if the extended warranty on the whole motorhome didn't cover them, I would be interested in extending coverage on any of them - particularly the refrigerator. Required service expenses certainly increase the cost of a plan.

Electronics have often been given as a good example of what not to cover, because if they don't fail during an extended "burn in" period (covered by the basic warranty) they probably won't fail until they're obsolete so you want a new one anyway. On the other hand, everyone I know (in person, outside the forums) considers buying Apple Care a good idea for any Apple product - maybe it's a matter of pricing and what is covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Sales guy at The Source asked me if I wanted extended warranty on a $1.69 plug adapter. Cost was fifty cents.
The Source (and earlier the same company as Radio Shack) is hilarious - I think they'll sell and extended warranty for anything.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:09 AM   #9

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
ext. warranty

Dometic refrigerators and new cars that I plan to use hard or for a long time get the warranty since I can't fix either one and the cost is no more than one fix at the shop.
I look at the 1950 or 60's cars and sometimes wish I would be happy with one again.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
And does it require that you have the fridge serviced at x dollars each year for the warranty to remain in effect?

Ron
Ron asks the right question. To maintain the warranty, you likely need to spend $100 a year in service, and if you are having it serviced, you'll likely never need the extended warranty.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:47 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
... and if you are having it serviced, you'll likely never need the extended warranty.
I don't think that's true. Nothing done in maintenance will prevent the cooling unit from leaking at a faulty weld or clogging up internally due to a poorly formed passage - which are the ways that the cooling unit fails - because it is sealed: there is nothing that can be done to it in maintenance.

Maintenance could keep the burner air and propane passages clean, but if those clog up and cause a problem there would be no valid warranty claim anyway.

Proper maintenance is important for reliability of most systems, but I don't see a connection between servicing and warranty-covered failures.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:24 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... The way I look at Ext. Warr. is this. If you buy it...you're betting it will fail, if you don't buy it, you're betting it won't fail. You pay's your money and you takes your choose!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:40 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Glenn, that is really funny. I can't help but think the marketing people think we are idiots. What next? Extended warranties on life insurance policies?
Old 12-07-2016, 09:56 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Glenn, that is really funny. I can't help but think the marketing people think we are idiots. What next? Extended warranties on life insurance policies?
Carl,
Those marketing people make big money for a reason. I have a sign on my office wall that's a quote from the 1800's - Friedrich von Schiller: "Against stupidity, the very gods themselves contend in vain." I have taken the sign down on occasion, but it always goes back up; I find daily application and confirmation of it.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:14 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Hi: C&G in FL... Now you got me wondering if I should buy an extended warranty on my replacement "Pacemaker"? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:31 PM   #16

I wouldn't. It's likely a 'lifetime' warranty.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:31 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
I bought the extended warranty on the fridge in our 21' after it was replaced under the program negotiated by ETI. I took it in for service at one year and after several conversations between the local RV dealer, myself, and Dometic it was determined that their was nothing required in order to keep the warranty in effect. They said keep the back of the fridge area clean of debris and you are good to go. The dealer said they had never had Dometic turn down a claim while under warranty. No cost to me to find this out. This is despite wording in the paperwork requiring yearly service. So with the regular 2 year warranty and extended 3 year I am covered for 5 years. I'm happy with that for the $100 or so dollars Dometic charged for the warranty.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote