Escape in winter - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2018, 11:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 on order
Escape in winter

Hello fellows!
Can you give us good tips how to store Escape in winter? I am in Sedona, Arizona, have metal shed in my yard. During winter months [ beginning December thru end of February ] we might expect 24F during a night. Should I run a heater, or open a vent, or keep certain temperatures inside? My concern is to keep the best condition inside.
Thank you.
Gerard.
Gerard W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard W View Post
Hello fellows!
Can you give us good tips how to store Escape in winter? I am in Sedona, Arizona, have metal shed in my yard. During winter months [ beginning December thru end of February ] we might expect 24F during a night. Should I run a heater, or open a vent, or keep certain temperatures inside? My concern is to keep the best condition inside.
Thank you.
Gerard.
Ours is parked outside, here in cold Alberta, all winter long. We plug in electric, open kitchen window a little and open maxx fan a little. Open all cabinet doors for airflow. Nothing else.
Works for our Escape.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:13 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I would do like Marry. Leave the fridge open too.

Being in AZ you shouldn't have concerns about humidity. I take it you will store the trailer in the shed. Just get power to it once in a while to keep the batteries charged, Throw the 12v cutoff switch to off for prolonged storage. Do what you need to do for pest control.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:46 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you have solar, outside would allow the sun to do it's job, otherwise plugged in will work with some vents open. Being in Sedona, you may want to keep it inside in the summer and out in the winter. Also please update your avatar to show you are now the proud owner.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:31 AM   #5

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
We had a Casita SD 17 stored in the Prescott area last winter. We drained all the water from anywhere possible it could expand. Our overnight lows can get to +7 F. We should have disconnected the battery, but we left it connected to a solar charger. Packrats were a problem, one moved in about early Nov. We finally got rid of it a week later. It chewed a hole in an open window, the window screen was fabric not wire. That screen was rescreened with wire fabric immediately. We then left no open windows nor opened the overhead vent as all the screen material was fabric. We'll receive our new Escape in Oct so will have to find out what the screen material is made of.
Upfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:46 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard W View Post
Hello fellows!
Thank you.
Gerard.
Unless it is stored in an area or building that never gets to below freezing temperatures, you will need to winterize your trailer to protect water in your fresh and wastewater systems from breaking lines, fittings, and fixtures when it freezes. There are many threads on this forum on winterizing your Escape, and ETI also has issued their own writeup on how to go about it.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:35 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
When I first got my Escape 19 in 2015, I called a local RV dealer to be sure he had RV antifreeze in stock. He told me he had none. When I asked why, he told me that it didn't sell. No one in my county winterizes their trailer, he told me. I checked with a friend who had a trailer for decades and he told me that he had a problem one winter back in 1997 (!) when it froze pipes in the trailer but that was it. I am so glad I live in Santa Rosa, CA, where in doesn't stay below freezing long enough to damage my trailer. To be safe, I put a space heater in the trailer during the winter on a thermocube that will kick on at 35F and off at 45F and open cabinet doors to let the heat in where the pipes are. No problems in three years.