Frame Protection - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2022, 08:19 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 E19
Frame Protection

I see a number of threads where people have discussed painting and/or rust coating the frame however it seems as if this is after some rust has been noticed on the frame. Reactive rather than proactive.
I'm wondering if anyone applies a protective coating to the frame when brand new - hopefully before any rust is observed.
It could be under coating (though that tends to be sticky and messy) but I'm thinking things like rock guard. Maybe epoxy primer. Something with some substance to it but could be brushed on. I've seen where some recommend POR15 but I'm not sure if that too is only after rust is observed.
With a new E19 hopefully only a few months away I'm trying to get my to-do list organized!
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 08:31 AM   #2

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0
I'll be interested to see your replies on this as I too am getting my "to do list" ready before taking possession. Based on reading those other related threads you mentioned, my current plan is to coat the frame with either truck bed liner or POR15, so it will be interesting to see what those with experience recommend. Thanks in advance!

There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs.
- Thomas Sowell
Lorraine Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 10:18 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Think what paint would be the toughest to remove by sandblasting and that is what I would use on the trailer frame.

The paint that Escape uses can be removed easily by sandblasting. So can most frame paints. POR15 (2k urethane paint) takes some time to remove by blasting but it will come off eventually. Epoxy primer is very tough to remove BUT cannot handle UV exposure so it has to be covered with a UV resistant paint - on outboards which see a lot of abrasion, they commonly use a two part polyurethane paint.

If I wanted to apply a coating that I woudn't have to redo any time soon, I would use the epoxy primer with 2k poly paint. Here is the paint I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/Eastwood-Alum.../dp/B007N6H9HQ

https://www.amazon.com/POR-15-43204-.../dp/B00V988S7E
hint: thin the POR15 with xylene to get it to level out using a brush.
Old 03-26-2022, 11:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
I was thinking of just using a spray on oil like they do to undercoat cars/trucks in the winter. I’ve been doing this to my vehicles since new and the underside of my 2010 Silverado is still like new. Applied to just the metal frame, I can’t see how it could hurt.
Suregrip391 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 02:25 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 E19'
Have a peek at

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...per-22493.html

specifically post #7. I've used Krud Kutter spray pretty much everywhere under vehicles. I just spray it all over - except rubber and electrical stuff of course - painted, unpainted, rusty, whatever.

Next time it's warm and dry, I plan to cut some thin cardboard for hold-it-in-place masking pieces and hit the trailer frame. Would like to flow it between the top surface of the frame members and the gelcoat, but will do some (potentially) destructive testing in the middle of the floor gelcoat first, away from the frame.
Old 03-27-2022, 06:51 AM   #6

Trailer: Hello Hakuna Matata (Escape 19) bye bye Aliner
When I order my Trailler, I've wanted it to have the frame lined X before. Was to much trouble for Escape to do so and the were concern about the fitting of the fibreglass shell after and to costly.

Once home, I've had all the frame (foam), well well and front box lined X. Since it is black by nature they also have white... So they wanted to charge me extra for purging the black.

We agred to have the hose purge on the under carriage (foam) after the frame part in black was done. So the foam is from black to grey to white....

After the white stuff came out white, they were able to finish the rest and purging again to go in black with the rest on the foam.

Beside the foam part colour every thing is good.

After 4 year of use, no rust or paint chip.
hondasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 07:44 AM   #7

Trailer: 2022 E19
Hondasaurus, do you happen to have any photos?
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 07:57 AM   #8

Trailer: Hello Hakuna Matata (Escape 19) bye bye Aliner
Sorry no and the Trailler is not home... Maybe in a month or so

That is from last week camping... You can see the front box and the lower sider.... and underneath ?!?
/Users/lucetchantal/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/resources/derivatives/0/0C600F05-B00F-4739-885D-1DE2C54A8B51_1_105_c.jpeg
hondasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 11:22 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
I would just use fluid film on the frame every couple of years. easy to apply . I use it on my truck and its 18 years old with literally no rust underneath, I live in Ohio salt capital of the midwest
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 01:24 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I remember years ago Pennsylvania used "slag" waste from the steel mills, similar to cinders, to coat their roads. Now it is salt as I believe the steel mills have closed....
Old 03-31-2022, 12:42 AM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I remember years ago Pennsylvania used "slag" waste from the steel mills, similar to cinders, to coat their roads. Now it is salt as I believe the steel mills have closed....
I call the stuff “car-be-gone”
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote