Front Box Coating - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2022, 01:34 PM   #21

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
I agree. Both resins work well, but there can be solid reasons for one over the others use. Polyester resin would be fine and maybe better. I've worked with it long ago, but have used epoxy much more over the years and go to it out of habit.
In the boat repair business, epoxy resins adhere to fiberglass resins a lot better than polyester resins. Epoxy much stronger and polyester will not adhere well for future repair.

SAMS marine surveyor #92 in a previous earlier life.
Marine Storm vessel adjustor for 20 years in earlier life.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:07 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcboyd View Post
In the boat repair business, epoxy resins adhere to fiberglass resins a lot better than polyester resins. Epoxy much stronger and polyester will not adhere well for future repair.

SAMS marine surveyor #92 in a previous earlier life.
Marine Storm vessel adjustor for 20 years in earlier life.
I agree. My first choice for a relatively small amount of surface damage or minor underlying damage is to repair using polyester and then top coat with polyester gelcoat making for an invisible repair.

I don't like seeing folks try to do the repair using a colored epoxy only hoping that it will match the surrounding gelcoat. And using epoxy in the "hole" and top coating with gelcoat isn't the best way to go.

And I've mentioned may times in the past using a very old process "cello finishing" can result in an almost perfect repair requiring only the most minor amount of blending in to make a perfectly invisible repair.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I agree. My first choice for a relatively small amount of surface damage or minor underlying damage is to repair using polyester and then top coat with polyester gelcoat making for an invisible repair.

I don't like seeing folks try to do the repair using a colored epoxy only hoping that it will match the surrounding gelcoat. And using epoxy in the "hole" and top coating with gelcoat isn't the best way to go.

And I've mentioned may times in the past using a very old process "cello finishing" can result in an almost perfect repair requiring only the most minor amount of blending in to make a perfectly invisible repair.

Ron
You are correct. There are several kits that have resins with various color gelcoat to mix and match for these small holes. Heck, if your going to recoat the entire surface (only way to match this light beigh/almond box) fill the holes with JB weld.
Many large boat and yacht manufacturers have stopped using gelcoat in lieu of 2 part polyurethanes like Awlgrip and Imron
Old 01-20-2022, 05:35 PM   #24

Quote:

Ron
Quote:
Guess I didn't read the ad well enough, I didn't see that you could order the smaller sizes. Well for that price I'll probably do my rear cargo box at some point.

I'll be interested to see how the "white" looks on your box and if it has what I think is an almond tint.

Ron
The front of my box is definitely not white. The top is white gelcoat, the back next to trailer is white gelcoat. The popcorn finish on front and sides does have an almond tint. My box is one year old and came that way. Why? No clue. Looks like a screw up, matches nothing. I am easy, the popcorn will stay until I am bored, then poof gone and refinished.