How do you drain the fresh tank pickup tube - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2022, 05:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 19'
Question How do you drain the fresh tank pickup tube

Hi all,

Does anybody have ideas on how to drain the pickup tube from the fresh tank?

I had drained the fresh tank, the hot water tank, and blown out the lines. However it seems the fresh water tank pickup tube did not drain, and it froze in our cold weather last week (lows about -3F and highs about 15F).

We have tank heaters and foam insulation, but the cold was too much for the insulation. The pump work work fine if I poured water in the to filter and if I used the by-pass valve that is intended for drawing anti-freeze into the pump and lines. However the pump was unable to pull water from the tank.

Does the pickup tube go into the top of the fresh water tank? I can't see where it enters the tank due to the foam insulation.

FYI... it has since thawed out and everything works, but I would like to know how to get it to drain during winterizing.

Thanks!

Sam
mistertinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 05:42 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape
I drained the fresh water tank a couple of days ago. As the water level neared the bottom of the tank I could see air bubbles rising up the pickup tube as the water in the tube drained down into the tank. The pump was off and I did not disconnect the tube from the pump. The tube runs on the outside of the tank and connects to a fitting on the side near the bottom.

So, my observation is that the tube drains naturally as the tank is drained. If it did not drain because of an airlock I would disconnect the tube from the pump and let air into the tube from above. I do not have foam.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 05:58 PM   #3

Hi Viajante,

OK. Maybe I just need to remove the clear cap on the water pump filter when draining the tank. That should allow air into the top of the tube so the water can drain back into the tank as the tank level drops.

I just found the picture below in a different thread that shows how the tube enters the tank. I cannot see this tube on my tank because of the foam insulation.

Thanks!

Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
I drained the fresh water tank a couple of days ago. As the water level neared the bottom of the tank I could see air bubbles rising up the pickup tube as the water in the tube drained down into the tank. The pump was off and I did not disconnect the tube from the pump. The tube runs on the outside of the tank and connects to a fitting on the side near the bottom.

So, my observation is that the tube drains naturally as the tank is drained. If it did not drain because of an airlock I would disconnect the tube from the pump and let air into the tube from above. I do not have foam.
Attached Thumbnails
FreshWaterPickupTube-NoFoamInsulation.jpg  
Old 02-28-2022, 06:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Without the foam it's easy to use a blow dryer to warm up the tube where it connects to the tank and makes removal (and reattachment) easy. I did that on my first winterization. Since then I just leave it alone. No damage from freezing has resulted.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 06:54 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Seems to me that the ETI instruction manual says to winterize, you drain the fresh water tank via the valve on the tank and that you run the pump for about 30 seconds after draining the tank to clear the pump. That should also clear any water or air in the pickup tube.
Old 02-28-2022, 07:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
I noticed when I winterized that there is always water left in the pickup hose, maybe 6" or so, after draining the tank and running the pump. So I have also been disconnecting the hose clamp that holds the hose to the fresh water tank as well and letting it gravity drain out. If you don't have access to this because of the foam insulation then the only think I can think of is to put a heater in this area to melt it and get it going again, or wait for warmer temperatures to do it for you.
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I installed my winterizing Tee Valve at this location to solve what I consider a design flaw. It allows you to completely drain the tube and/or suck in your antifreeze.
You can read in the following link what, why and how to:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post266446
Attached Thumbnails
8ECC4467-F295-4D81-8235-E03E8A80FC81.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 08:35 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
There is a short piece of tubing near the pump that one can use to suck up RV antifreeze. I found that if I turned this tube's valve halfway between the two positions and blew on the antifreeze tube with my mouth, it pushed the remaining water out of the fresh tank tube, back into the tank.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 09:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistertinkle View Post
Hi Viajante,

OK. Maybe I just need to remove the clear cap on the water pump filter when draining the tank. That should allow air into the top of the tube so the water can drain back into the tank as the tank level drops.

I just found the picture below in a different thread that shows how the tube enters the tank. I cannot see this tube on my tank because of the foam insulation.

Thanks!

Sam
That picture is our trailer. We haven't yet been able to drain that tube. We were recently on a camping trip and it got below freezing. In anticipation of that, we wrapped that tube in insulation. It did not freeze. Tomorrow I will go out and try to drain it using the water pump as someone described above
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 09:44 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
I have been trying to drain this hose completely since 2017 when I bought my first Escape no luck. This year I bought a pipe electric wrap and used that to protect it from freezing Any brilliant solutions will be greatly appreciated
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 09:59 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathytony1985 View Post
That picture is our trailer. We haven't yet been able to drain that tube. We were recently on a camping trip and it got below freezing. In anticipation of that, we wrapped that tube in insulation. It did not freeze. Tomorrow I will go out and try to drain it using the water pump as someone described above
Thanks for referencing the picture. I have an older model with the pickup connection on the side of the tank not the bottom. The pickup tube on mine does not curve below the tank then rise back up to the fitting, thereby trapping water in the low point. So my suggestions about the water draining naturally or disconnecting the tube at the top will not work. Nor will running the pump work.

It appears the options are to blow the water out of the tube or to add a low point drain fitting. Both of these were suggested by others.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 08:51 AM   #12

Hi all,

Thanks for replying and all the suggestions! It does help! I really like this forum for how everybody offers ideas and isn't judgemental. You all are great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Seems to me that the ETI instruction manual says to winterize, you drain the fresh water tank via the valve on the tank and that you run the pump for about 30 seconds after draining the tank to clear the pump. That should also clear any water or air in the pickup tube.

gbaglo - I usually run the pump after draining the tank, however maybe I didn't this last time. I'll do that again this week to test. The difficulty with the foam insulation is that I can't see the very bottom of the pickup tube where it is connected to the tank, so I don't know how I can confirm it is clear after running the pump. I think there might be enough water left in the tube after running the pump that it can drain back to the bottom and freeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
There is a short piece of tubing near the pump that one can use to suck up RV antifreeze. I found that if I turned this tube's valve halfway between the two positions and blew on the antifreeze tube with my mouth, it pushed the remaining water out of the fresh tank tube, back into the tank.

JefferyG - thanks for the suggestion. I may give that a try. I had disconnected the pickup tube from the pump filter and tried to blow back into the tank and had no luck because it was frozen at that time. I like the idea of turning the antifreeze valve half way and blowing. Another thought I had is to disconnect the tube from the filter and use my compressor to blow into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathytony1985 View Post

kathytony1985 - I found your picture after I had posted. Since we have the foam insulation, I didn't know how/where the pickup tube entered the tank. That picture really helped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diannelgraham View Post
I have been trying to drain this hose completely since 2017 when I bought my first Escape no luck. This year I bought a pipe electric wrap and used that to protect it from freezing Any brilliant solutions will be greatly appreciated

diannelgraham - I feel your pain. This is the first time this has happened. It has not frozen even when we have camped at about 14F overnight. The freshwater tank was empty this time when the temperatures dropped so low. Filling the tank and running the tank heaters didn't seem to be enough to thaw out the tube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
Thanks for referencing the picture. I have an older model with the pickup connection on the side of the tank not the bottom. The pickup tube on mine does not curve below the tank then rise back up to the fitting, thereby trapping water in the low point. So my suggestions about the water draining naturally or disconnecting the tube at the top will not work. Nor will running the pump work.

It appears the options are to blow the water out of the tube or to add a low point drain fitting. Both of these were suggested by others.

Viajante - Yes I think I will try blowing out the tube when winterizing now. I would prefer to not cut through the foam to add another valve/tube for draining because it seems to me that might cause the tube to freeze during normal low temperature camping.

Another thought I have is to pour some 200 proof alcohol, just an ounce or so, into the tube at the filter end to act as antifreeze in the bottom of the tube inside the foam insulation. If there is still water in the tube, it would dilute the alcohol some, but still provide some protection.

Sam
Old 03-01-2022, 09:21 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Brain drain...

Hi: mistertinkle... I don't drain it. As long as the ice has expansion room it won't crack the pipe. I do leave my pump lines open though!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 09:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: mistertinkle... I don't drain it. As long as the ice has expansion room it won't crack the pipe. I do leave my pump lines open though!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie

Hi 'escape artist'.

We didn't have any damage either. Our problem was that it seems to have frozen before we filled with water and needed to use the pump/water. We realized the pump wasn't drawing water before we left for a short trip, so we used water from a couple 4 gallon jugs for the first couple days until the pump started drawing water.

I think I'll add another step to my winterizing process to try to clear that tube when I drain the fresh water tank. We tend to use our Escape monthly, so it doesn't stay winterized very long.

Sam
Old 03-03-2022, 05:11 PM   #15

Just a quick followup...

I drained the fresh water tank today. Once it was drained I saw there was still water in the supply line at the pump filter. When I removed the clear pump filter lid, the water in the line drained down into the tank.

I also turned the winterizing valve 1/8th turn (half way between selecting the supply line and the line for drawing in antifreeze) and I was able to blow the rest of the water in the supply line back into the tank.

Now I have another step to add to the winterizing process.

Thanks for the ideas everybody! I hope this helps others.

Sam
Old 03-03-2022, 05:22 PM   #16

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Thank you for sharing!
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water tank, winterize