How much is too much snow on the trailer? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2017, 02:14 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
How much is too much snow on the trailer?

Just east of Seatac Int'l Airport we got 8.5" of the white stuff overnight and it's still snowing. Seattle isn't used to this stuff. But, got a ton of shoveling taken care of, but now that the flakes are super huge, it looks like I'll be doing some more later this evening.

Oh well, such is life. (And I thought I was done with all that shoveling once we moved back here from Spokane! HA! Least I still had my super high Sorel boots handy!)

Anyway, I pulled some snow off the sides of the trailer as well as off the propane tank cover and storage cover. But, just how much is too much and I need to haul out a ladder to take the stuff all the way off?

Thanks!

There isn't an option to store the trailer undercover, so no need to mention that.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05092.jpg   DSC05093.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
We have just over 9 inches here and I am leaving mine as is. I have been shovelling snow under the trailer I figure it's good insulation.
I am plugged in and have a couple dryer things in use in the trailer.
Our snowfall around Christmas was in total more than his and everything was fine.
Doug may decide to take some off... but getting so no place to put it..
Old 02-06-2017, 04:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Just east of Seatac Int'l Airport we got 8.5" of the white stuff overnight and it's still snowing. Seattle isn't used to this stuff. But, got a ton of shoveling taken care of, but now that the flakes are super huge, it looks like I'll be doing some more later this evening.

Oh well, such is life. (And I thought I was done with all that shoveling once we moved back here from Spokane! HA! Least I still had my super high Sorel boots handy!)

Anyway, I pulled some snow off the sides of the trailer as well as off the propane tank cover and storage cover. But, just how much is too much and I need to haul out a ladder to take the stuff all the way off?

Thanks!

There isn't an option to store the trailer undercover, so no need to mention that.
The Sun is out and it is melting off here in Bremerton. This is what it looked like at 6:30 this morning.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2343a.jpg  
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:57 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
I don't know how much is too much but l know I'd be taking it off after about 4 or 5 inches. Remember when the rains come (and they will come) that snow will double or triple in weight. Remember this is the wet coast
Old 02-06-2017, 05:03 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We have had far more snow than you. We used to take it off. We don't bother anymore. We'll let you know if it caves in!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:20 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
No snow on my Escape. It's all on the branches of the cedar tree it's parked under.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:33 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
If the weatherman is correct , Seattle will be above freezing with highs in the upper 40's to low 50's for the next week . If you wait a few days the issue of snow on the roof may disappear on its own.
I've had more than 12" of snow piled up on my trailer roof and suffered no consequences.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:57 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I would at least have my wheels protected from the snow, I use those wheel covers while in the yard, keeps the snow and weather off the wheel and hopefully the brakes also.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2017, 06:05 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
12 inches of light dry fluffy snow versus 12 inches of heavy wet snow on a trailer roof makes a huge difference in weight. I would guess that snow on the west coast is typically quite wet and therefore quite heavy. If it was my trailer, I would be pulling it off the roof before it got to more than about 6 to 8 inches deep. I have used a snow rake in the past (when my Escape is covered) and it has worked quite well. Could potentially scratch the trailer if you don't have a cover, in which case, using a ladder and your arms/hands or something similarly gentle may be the best approach.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:07 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Looks like you got all the snow that Portland was supported to get yesterday... and didn't. You have my sympathy, truly!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:25 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I got one of these, no scratch to fiberglass...https://www.amazon.com/Snow-Joe-SJBL...rds=snow+broom
Old 02-06-2017, 06:43 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
The Sun is out and it is melting off here in Bremerton. This is what it looked like at 6:30 this morning.
Looks pretty. Looks pretty from Florida.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:06 PM   #13

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Thanks everyone. Yeah, the snow around here is wet and heavy.

For now I'm going to leave it on as it's stopped snowing and the stuff that came down earlier melted off (using the brick steps as a gauge). I did manage to get quite a bit off the sides of the trailer, so that will help. So, it looks like I don't need to shovel the walkway and driveway again. Yay!

I'll keep an eye on things tomorrow and see what happens. I'll probably plug it into power for tonight so maybe a smidge or so will melt off during the night.

News Flash - ALL of it will melt off the roof with some heat inside - alternate facts for ya!

Yeah, Donna, we got hit pretty good. Some areas got more than we did and lots less in many areas. But, at least we didn't lose our power (knock on wood), like many did. And you got that huge storm last month, so that should do you guys for the next decade or so.

PS, ordered that snow scrapper thingie that was referenced in a post - looks like it'll help and might be better than the push broom I was using. Of course, by the time it gets here our snow will be gone, but that's okay. It'll get used at some point, I'm sure.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:38 PM   #14

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Looks pretty. Looks pretty from Florida.
We will be in St. Petersberg March 3 - 8 visiting friends on our way to Jamaica. We then catch and 8-day cruise around Cuba! Pretty excited! Looking forward to leaving the snow and rain behind.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:48 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
We will be in St. Petersberg March 3 - 8 visiting friends on our way to Jamaica. We then catch and 8-day cruise around Cuba! Pretty excited! Looking forward to leaving the snow and rain behind.
I love the Pacific Northwest, having visited many times for business and vacation. The only reason I didn't move there when I retired a few years ago was because I inherited what was left of my parents' farm in Florida. I thought it would be neat to live in the house I grew up in, and it is. But I consider the Gulf Coast summers to be a dress rehearsal for my eventual trip to Hell. Thus my purchase of an Escape, to get out of here when it gets hot.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:03 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Quote:
Just east of Seatac Int'l Airport we got 8.5" of the white stuff overnight and it's still snowing. ... But, just how much is too much and I need to haul out a ladder to take the stuff all the way off?

I measured 14.5" on my back deck and I assume a similar amount was on the trailer. I don't know how much is too much, and I guess now I'll never know because I went at it with a push broom Thank you for sharing your paranoia
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:53 PM   #17

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by davescape View Post
I measured 14.5" on my back deck and I assume a similar amount was on the trailer. I don't know how much is too much, and I guess now I'll never know because I went at it with a push broom Thank you for sharing your paranoia
This is what we do!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3678a.jpg  
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by davescape View Post
Hey, glad I could help you figure out a way to spend some of your day getting some free exercise.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:00 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I consider the Gulf Coast summers to be a dress rehearsal for my eventual trip to Hell. Thus my purchase of an Escape, to get out of here when it gets hot.
Still time to repent
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:10 AM   #20

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
Yeah and I made Doug go out and clear most of ours off...I sure as heck couldn't reach...and no way I would attempt a ladder.. So much better---still a bit but much better---if we get more we are prepared..