How to keep bugs and rodents out over winter??? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2020, 11:51 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA
How to keep bugs and rodents out over winter???

Getting ready to winterize the water system and cover our 5.0 up for our great lakes winter. Two questions....

1. What can we do to minimize the bugs and rodents that might want to move in over winter? Our lot is very woodsy and we are storing her outside.

2. What can we leave inside the camper over winter vs. what do we have to bring in the house? Do we need to basically empty it out? Obviously anything food related/edible should come in. What about plastic dishes, the mattress, etc.

Any guidance for these first time winterizers is much appreciated!

Jackie
Jgntch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While I probably should find some wood to knock on, I haven't had a rodent in either trailer (since 2011). The only bugs have been those that rode in on me, and some no-see-ems that managed to get through the screens in Florida. I did have detachable power cords on both trailers. I also remove anything edible (including soap, etc) before storing the trailer. Paper products, the mattress, etc stays in the trailer. I do remove all clothing, sheets & blankets, etc.

My suggestion would be to check underneath for any openings that Escape didn't fully foam closed, if you have the permanent power cord and leave the trailer connected, be sure to stuff around the cord with steel wool or the equivalent, and, just to be sure, put an electronic mouse trap inside. If you remove the anode from the water heater (and I suggest you do to clean it out & be sure it is drained) either put it back, a new one if necessary, or a plug.
Old 10-17-2020, 12:18 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I brought in anything that can attract mice, from soap to food. All clothing and towels that could be nesting materials go in too. If you are real worried you can leave all the cabinets and cubbies open, with mouse traps placed here and there just in case. The trailers are pretty well closed up some mice issues should be at a minimum. I even went so far as to place traps next to the tires.

In 7 years parking the trailer next to the woods, I've never had a mouse or bug in it, I do however catch many in the shed not far away from the trailer. I'd imagine a lot has to do with where you live.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:35 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
We live in rural NM with lots of mice and pack rats. The best thing we have found to keeping rodents at bay is a bright white LED rope light laid on the ground which encircles the entire footprint of the trailer.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 11:47 AM   #5

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
bugs out?

After I winterize the water system, I cover as many openings as possible in the trailer w plastic film (or pieces of plastic shower curtain) taped ON with gaffer tape. Make sure the max-fan cover is closed. Close all vents and windows.
I put a large pail of Damp-rid in the camper
I make sure there is something under the dinette seats to lift the cushions up for air circulation
Check the damp-rid every month.

Plans making time for Spring camping trips!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 01:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
bugs??

Getting ready to de-winterize next week...Camper is fine after a winter under her cover,,w 2 windows open for ventil. Wondering what bug screens I will need this Spring, and where to get them
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote