Insulation and Critter prevention - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2020, 01:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017Grand Design 2500
Exclamation Insulation and Critter prevention

Living here in NH and camping early spring and late fall how insulated is the 5.0 and how well does manufacturing do sealing all water, gas, sewer lines etc access holes to keep mice and other critters from entering.
Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:55 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Like your home, mice and critters can find a way inside. Fortunately you have wheels which prevent underground hidden entrances. There are only a limited number of holes in an Escape for mice and other varmints, bugs and insects unfortunately find the smallest opening. There are bug screens for the various vents and routine maintenance should take care of the rest.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:08 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Hi Dolly, I've not found anywhere in need of modification to keep out bugs or mice. I do add a few traps for the winter but that's it. The only bugs we've had were bees built a nest in the a/c one summer. We don't use the trailer in the summer.

As far as the insulation is concerned, I have no issues as long as it warms up during the day. If I expect below freezing for more then overnight I drain the lines and the tank and go dry. I have the underside insulation on mine. There are other ways to enhance its cold tolerance but I don't do any. We're fine till about Columbus day which is when all the last campgrounds close around here anyways.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolly View Post
Living here in NH and camping early spring and late fall how insulated is the 5.0 and how well does manufacturing do sealing all water, gas, sewer lines etc access holes to keep mice and other critters from entering.
Bugs can cause problems with the hot water heater, fridge, and furnace by plugging gas orifices and air passageways. Below are a few of the bug screens that I have installed to keep them out.

Camco 42150 Flying Insect Screen - WH 200 (for furnace)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Camco Flying Insect Screen for Dometic Refrigerator Vents, RS 600 (Dometic fridge vent)

RV Furnace Screen for RV Water Heater Vent Cover (hot water heater)
https://www.amazon.com/Furnace-Scree.../dp/B07GQR3V5N

Those screens and the removable power cord takes care of where critters could get into your trailer.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:28 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Only pests I've had came in through the door.
As for screens; read the manual for said appliance regarding screens.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Only pests I've had came in through the door.
As for screens; read the manual for said appliance regarding screens.
Must be nice to not have insect problems.

While you're looking at manuals, take a look at how long it takes to clean a mud dauber nest out of the furnace vent pipes, removing a mud dauber nest out of the fridge heater stack, or clearing the orifices in your hot water heater from the same.

Never had a problem with the vent screens in either the previous Casita or the Escape. Cheap insurance.

Oh, forgot to mention the wasp nests that were found in the propane tank cover and the bathroom vent cover. My wife still claims that's the fastest she ever saw me move when I pulled off that propane cover! Those were fun to deal with but I still don't have a preventive measure for them.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21' on order to be pulled by 2019 F150 3.5 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post

Camco Flying Insect Screen for Dometic Refrigerator Vents, RS 600 (Dometic fridge vent)
We had screens on our Casita and are planning to get some for our Escape (picking up in May). One of Reace's videos said to get the screens for a Norcold vent, even though the fridge itself is Dometic. I'm not sure how they are different from the Dometic. I'm guessing they fit differently. Haven't bought ours yet.
GaryandEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:34 PM   #8
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolly View Post
Hi Dolly,

We added the flying insect screens like the ones tdf-texas posted- very easy to install!

Would like to piggy back on your thread and ask if anyone has replaced their window screens with a finer mesh for the 'No-See-Ums'? And if you did...do like or recommend it? Do you notice any changes in ventilation? If you recommend, do you have a link for the screen material? (If this has been discussed before, my apologies. Feel free to direct me to that thread).

Thanks in advance,
-Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryandEllen View Post
We had screens on our Casita and are planning to get some for our Escape (picking up in May). One of Reace's videos said to get the screens for a Norcold vent, even though the fridge itself is Dometic. I'm not sure how they are different from the Dometic. I'm guessing they fit differently. Haven't bought ours yet.
Later Escapes have the Norcold lower vents that take a different screen.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-42153-F...00192HPOC?th=1

You can tell which one you have by looking at where the attachment clips are located. If at the top, Norcold - if at the bottom, Dometic.
Attached Thumbnails
Norcold intake vent.jpg   Dometic intake vent.jpg  
Old 04-04-2020, 08:49 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Hi Bea:

I had to replace the door screens due to an overzealous dog. Since I had to do it, I decided to use no-see-um screening. It was very easy to do as the no-see-um screening is very pliable. I did not also do the windows. There was no difference I could detect as far as airflow, but the no-see-um was a little darker so that was a plus as far as privacy is concerned.

It was pointed out to me on another forum that doing just the door and not all of the windows was self-defeating in terms of the smallest of bugs likely getting through the window screens since I did not also do them in the no-see-um screening. I conceded that the point was valid (if you assume you have both the door and windows open! - ha!).

And I picked up the screening at Home Depot.
gypsysouls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:31 AM   #11
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsysouls View Post
Hi Bea:

I had to replace the door screens due to an overzealous dog. Since I had to do it, I decided to use no-see-um screening. It was very easy to do as the no-see-um screening is very pliable. I did not also do the windows. There was no difference I could detect as far as airflow, but the no-see-um was a little darker so that was a plus as far as privacy is concerned.

It was pointed out to me on another forum that doing just the door and not all of the windows was self-defeating in terms of the smallest of bugs likely getting through the window screens since I did not also do them in the no-see-um screening. I conceded that the point was valid (if you assume you have both the door and windows open! - ha!).

And I picked up the screening at Home Depot.
Hi gypsysouls, Thank you for your reply! I am going in the reverse direction! I have been installing the no-see-um screen material (found on Amazon) in my windows first. I have most of them done and then I will finish with the screen door sections last. I concur with you...good to do windows and the door. So far I like it. I notice the same thing - very pliable material, easy to cut and install, seems to vent well and I also like the slightly darker sheen.

This project, however, is in slow motion now, since my husband has been using our 21 as his office during this outbreak. What a blessing for us...he loves it. Once done with this install, the real test will be, usage in the wild, once we're given the green light to 'escape'. This mod probably won't stop all the little flying critters coming inside but hopefully, most. -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:01 PM   #12

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Bugs can cause problems with the hot water heater, fridge, and furnace by plugging gas orifices and air passageways. Below are a few of the bug screens that I have installed to keep them out.

Camco 42150 Flying Insect Screen - WH 200 (for furnace)

RV Furnace Screen for RV Water Heater Vent Cover (hot water heater)
https://www.amazon.com/Furnace-Scree.../dp/B07GQR3V5N

Those screens and the removable power cord takes care of where critters could get into your trailer.

Thanks, ordered
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote