Lack of Black Tank Flush out system? So what does everyone do - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2020, 03:28 PM   #41

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
I don't know, maybe I'm making it too easy. As a river runner for the past 27 years, and having had to deal with numerous loaded porta potties after river trips, all I can say is the trick to a positive and effective dumping experience is liquid... the more the better. Keep the word "SLURRY" in the front of your mind. Attaining a slurry is your objective in managing the black tank!

As others have suggested, add a couple of gallons of water before leaving, along with a good treatment (I use Odorlos, the stuff is awesome). You want to avoid the creation of any solid "fixture" in the tank. I also keep a 1-gallon jug of water by the toilet, so that a lot of water can be added to the toilet to ensure everything flushes, and more water goes into the tank. This will completely avoid creation of a solid "pillar" in your black tank.

Once the tank gets full enough you think it needs to be dumped, top it off with more water, drive the trailer around to mix everything up, then do the dump at your convenience. If you've been generous with adding water during your stay, this step may not be necessary.

Adequate liquid ensures everything will exit during the dumping process. I have never felt the need to flush it out with a wand or hose following this routine. Although admittedly I have also never stuck my head or a flashlight into the toilet to check, I am fairly certain there is no build-up of anything. The black tank sensor has always worked, and I've never detected any odors. This is just a super easy situation to manage, in my opinion. Much easier than a river toilet, that's for sure!
^^^ This ^^^
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:27 PM   #42

Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
Or ...

... put in a composting toilet.

No water, no rinsing, no odour, and most importantly, no visits to the dump site. Although, you do have to empty the liquids in a toilet every 2 or 3 days.
JohnE3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:36 PM   #43

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE3 View Post
... put in a composting toilet.

No water, no rinsing, no odour, and most importantly, no visits to the dump site. Although, you do have to empty the liquids in a toilet every 2 or 3 days.
Where are you dumping your grey water so you don't have to visit the dump site?

Do you have a compost pile at home where you are going to dump your partially composted fecal matter? Or are you going to dump it into the trash like 'van-lifers' do adding unnecessary bulk to landfills?
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:27 PM   #44

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
If you are worried about accumulated solids just dump a bag of ice cubes down the toilet before you leave. By the time you get to the dump at the campground no problem.
marant is offline   Reply With Quote