Ladders, Ladders, and Ladders Which one? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2018, 08:24 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paceman View Post
The picture speaks for itself.
Do Not use ladders like this.
Work Safe BC in British Columbia and All Provinces in Canada and all States in the USA this would not be Permitted
Guess you don’t want to see me standing on top of my 6 foot ladder with shims under 2 of the legs, my wife was a little concerned about that. Then again I ride my motorcycle in the rain and don’t wear a helmet. Believe it or not still drink from a garden hose.😄
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:50 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yup, and I'll wear fall protection next time, I promise.
And don't forget to have a spotter as well.

I too have spent lots of time on ladders of all sorts. When I built electrical substations much of the work was in the air. Building homes and doing renovations sees me on ladders a lot too. I pretty much decide what is safe for me, and I take it seriously too, rather than go by government regulated guidelines designed to cover every last situation. I would have not hesitated to set up a ladder as you did if I felt it was safe.

If I was going up on onto a structure like a roof, I would definitely use a ladder that extended 3' or more above the point it rested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Can someone tell me what size Little Giant I'd need for the 10' tall 5.0TA? It's getting a little hairy standing on the top of my 6' step ladder.
I don't have too much trouble with a solid 6' step ladder, and on flat ground would step on the top. All I have had to do on the roof so far of my 5.0TA is to install the solar, and to access the roof over the loft, I just kneeled the trailer done, raising the landing gear all the way. I do need to get up there to wash a layer of dirt off the solar panels sometime before the next use though. Maybe a polish will be in order too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:11 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Being one who like to live on the edge, I'd have no problem kneeling on the top like Ron. Can someone tell me what size Little Giant I'd need for the 10' tall 5.0TA? It's getting a little hairy standing on the top of my 6' step ladder.
Ron has the model 17 and that is what I bought . Because you are a little taller probably go the next size up . I believe it is a 21 . Check on Costco .com I have seen it there and a better price . I bought ours at the Costco store because didn't need the taller one I saw on Costco online store just being a 19 . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:17 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Can someone tell me what size Little Giant I'd need for the 10' tall 5.0TA? It's getting a little hairy standing on the top of my 6' step ladder.
Mine's the 17'. You'd probably need the next length up.
The only negative is that they are heavy, but then that helps them be solid and stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
Guess you don’t want to see me standing on top of my 6 foot ladder with shims under 2 of the legs, my wife was a little concerned about that. Then again I ride my motorcycle in the rain and don’t wear a helmet. Believe it or not still drink from a garden hose.😄
You guys, standing on top of step ladders. I used to exit attics that way but I had one wobble too many and stopped doing that.

Yup, when helmets became compulsory it took away a little of the pleasure of riding.

And what's wrong with drinking from the hose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

If I was going up on onto a structure like a roof, I would definitely use a ladder that extended 3' or more above the point it rested.

For sure, but I tie it off first. Really hate the transition between the ladder and a 12 in 12 roof.

I don't have too much trouble with a solid 6' step ladder, and on flat ground would step on the top.
Oh man, another one, a stand on top of the step ladder person.

But seriously, I do take ladder safety seriously. For access to my roof I have hooks that go over the parapet and a grab handle for extra safety.

Glad we had this little discussion and I hope it serves as a reminder about something that we do tend to take for granted.

And back to the OP's question. I don't take any ladder with me because I don't anticipate needing one on the road. But if I did want one for the road I'd get one of those one's that can be stored in a tube.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
rotated.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:23 PM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I hate ladders, all of them. I have 5 ladders from small step to 20' extension. They're all bad.. they hate me too. Some may remember I fell off the ladder twice last fall while I was washing Ten Forward. First time it jarred me, the second time it hurt. I really need to think about where my feet are before I 'step off.'
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:43 PM   #26

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
One could just rent a mini scissor lift when at home to wash/wash TT n do all the thing around the outside of the house that one would need a ladder for that’s what I do much much safer
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:03 PM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I hate ladders, all of them. I have 5 ladders from small step to 20' extension. They're all bad.. they hate me too. Some may remember I fell off the ladder twice last fall while I was washing Ten Forward. First time it jarred me, the second time it hurt. I really need to think about where my feet are before I 'step off.'
Donna, I must say, the new Avatar is much easier to see. Still don't look like you though....
Old 03-11-2018, 01:43 PM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Donna, I must say, the new Avatar is much easier to see. Still don't look like you though....
I know, ain't she a babe? HAHAHHAHA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:15 AM   #29

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
I know ETI told me I need to wax the trailer once a year. This requires something very stable to be able to get the roof, where wax is needed most. Does everyone here wax once a year? And what ladder did the job for this?
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:22 AM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Hi: Donna D... I'm wit ya on this!!! A 6' ladder is 5 to high for me. My wife won't even let me up one unless she's holding it. I suppose she'll catch me on the first bounce. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:36 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
You bring up a good point on this thread. As we age, our sense of balance degrades. One of the first questions of many physicians is “have you fallen in the last 30 days?” To overcome this I practice my balance every day. In the past, my balance was terrible. (The tree pose in yoga) Now, while practicing, people thought they were looking at a statue when I was posed. Didn’t mean to go “off point” on this thread, but I feel that this is important for all of us as we age.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:48 AM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
You bring up a good point on this thread. As we age, our sense of balance degrades. One of the first questions of many physicians is “have you fallen in the last 30 days?” To overcome this I practice my balance every day. In the past, my balance was terrible. (The tree pose in yoga) Now, while practicing, people thought they were looking at a statue when I was posed. Didn’t mean to go “off point” on this thread, but I feel that this is important for all of us as we age.
Hi: kstock11... I bet I've been "Off balance" longer'n you!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:22 AM   #33

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenk View Post
I know ETI told me I need to wax the trailer once a year. This requires something very stable to be able to get the roof, where wax is needed most. Does everyone here wax once a year? And what ladder did the job for this?
From all the above it looks like a Little Giant one size up from their 17'er. I've done mine with an 8' step, it works but it's not real safe. Home Depot carries a knock off that would do the job too.

The downside is the are heavy and $$.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:56 AM   #34

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
From all the above it looks like a Little Giant one size up from their 17'er. I've done mine with an 8' step, it works but it's not real safe. Home Depot carries a knock off that would do the job too.

Yes, the 22' is the next size up and is the one I got last fall for waxing our 5.0TA. I decided to save some money and got the Keller from Menards instead of the Little Giant. It is very stable set up as an A-frame (side next to the trailer is vertical) and I appreciate the wide rungs. First time I washed our trailer was with my wife holding our 6' step ladder...that was not happening again.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:11 PM   #35

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
New Ladder

Although I have two very good Louisville Type 1AA ladders, I have been thinking seriously about getting the 22 foot Little Giant and leaving in the storage garage 90% of the time. I fell
twice in the past 6 months both times due to strange circumstances. Injuries were very minor but it’s got me thinking that I certainly do not want to fall again anytime soon. I had a cheap little giant style knock off that I got for nothing and that’s about what it was worth. For about $250 if I can save a trip to the E.R. I’ll be money ahead. And I don’t do pain very well, never did. I tried to convince myself that pain was only fear exiting the body but dammit, it still hurt. I hold the ladder while Rita waxes, but she keeps yelling at me when I walk away to get a sip of my elixir.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-20-2018, 04:48 PM   #36

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Quote:

I want to get something we can take on the road full time, where I can reach the solar panel but also wax, and use around home base yearly. The little giant 13 says it goes to 11ft. Isn’t this enough?
Also thinking of this
Telesteps 1600EP OSHA Compliant 16 ft Reach Professional Wide Step Telescoping Extension Ladder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007FE8LKU..._reySAbS38HKER

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:35 PM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
No for the 11 foot Little Giant. Mine's 17 and in this configuration it is fully extended. As a straight ladder, used like Glenn does, it would be fine.

But I regard mine as for home use, not on the road use. If I wanted to access the roof on the road I'd go with the lighter and more compact one like the telescoping one. Fortunately, for me, I don't need a ladder to access my solar panel, wi-fi and TV antennas.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0004_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:47 PM   #38

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Keep in mind the angle of the 5.0TA, renders an extension ladder kind of useless. Although I have not tried kneeling the front of the trailer down.