New custom Sunbrella cover Escape 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2020, 07:50 PM   #1

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
New custom Sunbrella cover Escape 21

Good evening,

We have decided to purchase a new cover. I received a quote from Calmark for a custom cover made from Sunbrella, just under a thousand dollars delivered to Kentucky. I decided to call Adco/Covercraft just to get a reference. Adco makes a lot of the covers on Amazon, Ebay, and camping world that are multi fit covers. Which brings me to their custom line. I took 11 different measurements of the Escape and sent them to Paulo. He got back with me that they are running a special on the Sunbrella covers. The fabric is 8.5 oz Sunbrella and come in 9ft wide sections which minimizes the seams and all seams are triple sewn, YKK zippers, one door. Now for the price $500.00. Has anyone dealt with Covercraft on their custom covers? I know the Calmark covers have a great reputation, but the Covercraft sounds sound like the same thing, just half price. I'm I missing anything?
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by buellfire View Post
Good evening,

We have decided to purchase a new cover. I received a quote from Calmark for a custom cover made from Sunbrella, just under a thousand dollars delivered to Kentucky. I decided to call Adco/Covercraft just to get a reference. Adco makes a lot of the covers on Amazon, Ebay, and camping world that are multi fit covers. Which brings me to their custom line. I took 11 different measurements of the Escape and sent them to Paulo. He got back with me that they are running a special on the Sunbrella covers. The fabric is 8.5 oz Sunbrella and come in 9ft wide sections which minimizes the seams and all seams are triple sewn, YKK zippers, one door. Now for the price $500.00. Has anyone dealt with Covercraft on their custom covers? I know the Calmark covers have a great reputation, but the Covercraft sounds sound like the same thing, just half price. I'm I missing anything?
I would be careful here. I use sunbrella canvas on my powerboat. Not cheap. The price your getting seems low. As the old saying goes your often get what you pay for.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:21 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Any warranty info?
Old 04-08-2020, 07:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark James View Post
I would be careful here. I use sunbrella canvas on my powerboat. Not cheap. The price your getting seems low. As the old saying goes your often get what you pay for.
I have a hobby business on the side, I reupholster Physicians, therapy and chiropractors offices. I looked at buying Sunbrella through my suppliers and it was cost prohibitive.

Adco/Covercraft is a reputable company, as you can read pages of reviews on their ready made covers on Amazon...ect. I just cant seam to find any reviews on their custom covers.

The Sunbrella that they use is 8.5 oz which is outdoor upholstery grade. I asked about doing Marine grade, they said that the cover is heavy with 8.5oz and that Marine grade would make the cover much to heavy. I'm not sure what grade Calmark uses.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Any warranty info?
From Adco site:
https://www.adcoprod.com/Custom-RV-Covers
If you plan to own your RV for more than a few years, you will save time and money in the long run by investing in a Custom-fit RV Cover. They come with longer warranties than Universal-fit options, fit better and look amazing next your house (or in the storage lot). The Sunbrella model featured here is ADCO's top-of-the-line Custom-fit cover. Spend a few extra dollars and it will go a long way!
  • Protect your RV with ADCO's Custom-Fit Sunbrella RV Covers
  • Designed for all climates and long term storage
  • Significantly reduces premature aging of RV and helps maintain resale value.
  • Keeps Roof clean to reduce black-streaks from forming on sides of RV.
  • Reduces need for washing, waxing and roof treatments.
  • Protection against harmful UV rays that can cause unwanted cracking and fading on your RV.
  • Color is 100% Tan or Gray (your choice).
  • Features ADCO's 5 year manufacturer warranty.
  • Made in the USA.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:33 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
When I roughed a custom Adco Sunbrella cover in for the 19 it came out over $600. I think for the difference I’d personally go with the Calmark whose covers have an excellent reputation.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:29 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A "Traveling Sedge"
Morning,

I am considering buying some brand of cover for my 15'. I live in wet Western Washington state and wonder how well a cover does over the winter here. Even if the cover is waterproof, I think there may be accumulated moisture between the cover and the fiberglass - which may be worse than other solutions. Our winters + other seasons are truly wet - lots of 'waterproof' gear does not really do the job. Any thoughts on these covers ability to work in this climate? Thanks in advance.

Jane
angler24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:12 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Maybe glue together a frame of large diameter pool noodles to keep the cover off the roof/ac? You could reinforce it if you wish by using small diameter pvc inside the noodles, which would also likely eliminate glue and enable use of pvc connectors. easy to put together/take apart and store.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:12 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by buellfire View Post
From Adco site:
https://www.adcoprod.com/Custom-RV-Covers
If you plan to own your RV for more than a few years, you will save time and money in the long run by investing in a Custom-fit RV Cover. They come with longer warranties than Universal-fit options, fit better and look amazing next your house (or in the storage lot). The Sunbrella model featured here is ADCO's top-of-the-line Custom-fit cover. Spend a few extra dollars and it will go a long way!
  • Protect your RV with ADCO's Custom-Fit Sunbrella RV Covers
  • Designed for all climates and long term storage
  • Significantly reduces premature aging of RV and helps maintain resale value.
  • Keeps Roof clean to reduce black-streaks from forming on sides of RV.
  • Reduces need for washing, waxing and roof treatments.
  • Protection against harmful UV rays that can cause unwanted cracking and fading on your RV.
  • Color is 100% Tan or Gray (your choice).
  • Features ADCO's 5 year manufacturer warranty.
  • Made in the USA.
In the market for a cover too, just took delivery of our new 19. We had a CalMark that came with our used Casita, I think it was the original from 06, and fell apart finally last summer. Bought a cheaper Adco to keep it clean till we sold it. Did you pull the trigger yet?

Larry
LarryLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:34 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Sorry, BJ, but I don't think pool noodles would avoid abrasions on the trailer finish. We do use noodles on the edges of the solar.

Shawn, regarding covers: we have a Calmark cover (made with Sunbrella fabric) that is now 5 years old, in the Calif. sun, and is doing great. When it rains (yes, it actually has done that this year), the fabric allows moisture through, so there is no accumulation, so no damage.
FYI: we use Aero 303 instead of wax (as recommended by local private aircraft owners) after each wash, and our gelcoat finish is doing fine. If we didn't use the 303, we would be waxing at least twice a year.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:01 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I can't see that using a cover has ever caused any abrasion or damage. However our 4 season ADCO isn't entirely waterproof and removing it we see areas that are wet etc.

I've taken to using a sheet of poly, very thin filmy stuff, sold in rolls as painting drop sheets. Easy to put on the roof, couple of pieces of masking tape to hold it in place, although it clings pretty well itself and then put the trailer cover on.

Works for me.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:19 PM   #12

I still haven't bought a cover. The Covid thing has slowed down communication with the cover companies. I did check with a car port company and I can do a 12x22x12 rv carport for just a few hundred more than a quality cover.

So let say that I'm still weighing my options! After cancelling 3 trips this spring we just got back from a 4 day trip to Brown County State Park in Indiana. Nice park and great for Mountain biking and horse back riding.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:11 PM   #13

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
Cover or carport

We thought we were putting in a carport on our property But the county turned me down they wanted me to be 75 ft from the property line It just didn’t work i might have to rethink my carport maybe a sunbrella cover $500 is pretty good price Let us know how it goes Jim W
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:16 PM   #14

Sunbrella

Got a quote it was $688 for 18 ft trailer
Old 05-28-2020, 09:32 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 19 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
Got a quote it was $688 for 18 ft trailer
That's for your 21'? So not including the trailer tongue and storage box?

Larry
LarryLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 06:28 AM   #16

length of 21

Yes they tell you not to include tongue hitch ,but you tell them you have rear tire mount ladder etc . I had a top for the e21 but it fell apart after 4 years in Florida Sun . Because we would use the trailer in Summer covering it up for Winter months only . I think Sunbrella would hold up very well I have a Sunbrella top on my 15 year old boat and the top 11 years old and is starting to show wear . Like I said before I was trying to put in a carport but i fell short by about 10 feet the county shut me down .You need to build it 75 ft from the road So back to the drawing board ,I might have to put it in my back yard but its a skinny lot so turning around might be problematic. Jim W
Old 05-29-2020, 06:45 AM   #17

Jim,
Kentucky looks at a carport as a temporary structure and I live on a few wooded acres, so mine will be hard to see from the street. If I decide to go the carport route not sure if I will contact the county. I am off today so I will work on contacting Covercraft and report back.
Here is a link to the canopy that I'm thinking.
https://store.alansfactoryoutlet.com...BoCKokQAvD_BwE
Old 05-29-2020, 06:50 AM   #18

Collier county looks at it that everyone lives ina Gated community even though we have 1 1/2 acre . I could put up a temporary tent carport but Florida. summers produce very strong winds would tear down tent carport in a N Y minute
Old 05-29-2020, 05:08 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17B
Classic Accessories cover 17B

Hello,
I bought a Classic Accessories cover when I bought my Escape 17B in August of 2018. Early this spring the lighter white colored top that is sewn onto the gray sides disintegrated! One day it was there and the next it was in small scraps all over the side of the house where the Escape is parked. I took photos, uploaded those plus a copy of my receipt and filled out the online claim form as the cover has a 4 year warranty. About 3 weeks later a new cover was delivered to my front door. I never even had to discuss the issues with anyone.

I guess this is good customer service but it also says to me that CA knows their stuff doesn't last and must find it easier to just send out a new one than reach out to customers.

Mine cost me around $250. After reading the previous posts, I guess you do get what you pay for.

Just wanted to share my experience with Classic Accessories and the cover for the 17B.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:50 AM   #20

Thought I would post a follow up. I ended up buying the ADCO custom Sunbrella cover. It will be custom fit to my Escape 21 with measurements that I provided. I also chose to cover the front storage box also. I few reasons that I chose ADCO/Covercraft:
I read reviews for both their custom covers and generic covers, I focused on life expectancy, ease of use, and warranty. Seams like most felt as if they got what they paid for.
They use the large YYK Zippers and 9ft wide Sunbrella fabric to minimize the seam, which they triple stitch.
I will report back once I have more experience using the cover.