new escape brake adjustment? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2021, 05:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 21NE
new escape brake adjustment?

Howdy!

We just received our 21NE and we're excited to set off for an adventure. We're familiarizing ourselves with our new Escape in our driveway before setting off and we're reading the manuals and watching the tutorials. We're newbies and previously tent camped everywhere.

My husband has the following question about the 500 KM brake adjustment that's suggested in the manual:
1. How critical is is to have it done within this distance?
2. As the trailer didn't come with a jack do folks have any recommendations?
3. How challenging is the procedure as the directions aren't very clear?

Thanks!
TravelMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:43 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Not terribly critical. Use a tire change ramp to lift a wheel - then the adjust is easy and no jack needed. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-21-...EaAoW0EALw_wcB

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I checked the brake adjustment after about 1500 mile. Prior to that I always would check the wheel hub temp at each stop & listen for a dragging brake. They were pretty close when I finally checked.

I carry a 5 ton jack in the TV. Plan to use that if needed for trailer
Gasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
We try to find a sandy spot on pavement or some gravel to test the brakes. As I manually apply the trailer brakes with the controller, my wife outside checks to see if one locks up more than the others. If nothing else it proves the brakes are working before we head out.
We also check the drum temperature after we stop for a rest just to make sure one is not doing more work/heat than the others. With something like this...
Attached Thumbnails
67F2800E-FD45-4B02-86D7-3E017F2BEAF5.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:43 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasguy View Post
I checked the brake adjustment after about 1500 mile. Prior to that I always would check the wheel hub temp at each stop & listen for a dragging brake. They were pretty close when I finally checked.

I carry a 5 ton jack in the TV. Plan to use that if needed for trailer
With jackstand too? The regular Trailer-Aid is safer and also serves when needing a bit higher leveling ramp.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:49 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
We try to find a sandy spot on pavement or some gravel to test the brakes. As I manually apply the trailer brakes with the controller, my wife outside checks to see if one locks up more than the others. If nothing else it proves the brakes are working before we head out.
We also check the drum temperature after we stop for a rest just to make sure one is not doing more work/heat than the others. With something like this...
This is pretty much what we did as well. As we had to drive almost 4000 kms to get our trailer home from Chilliwack we found that the first 1000 kms or so the brakes were intermittently grabbing; this was especially true as we made our way through the Crows Nest pass crossing the Rockies. We simply kept track of the hub temperature by feeling it with our fingers every time we stopped. On a couple of stops the hubs were quite warm so I grabbed the handle of a hammer and lightly tapped all around the hub while taking an hour stop and they seemed to be fine afterwards. When we finally adjusted them there was not much adjustment necessary. Also remember to make sure that the brake controller is set just right as this prevents unnecessary wear and more importantly potential loss of control in an emergency braking maneuver.
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:31 PM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
Hey TravelMama, Is this your trailer?
This was taken at our delivery location on Tuesday morning, Jan. 26.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0009 (1).jpg  
nepaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:49 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
After I picked up my trailer in May of 2015, I headed directly to Osoyoos for the rally. After leaving the rally, we went through a construction zone where the pavement had been totally removed and I did the 20 mph thing to adjust the brake controller. Since the brakes were working as they should, and did so without any of them grabbing, we continued all the way back to Florida. I did not Jack up the wheels and check the brake adjustment until I cleaned and packed the wheel bearings for the first time (at @ 10,000 miles). At that time, the brakes were still within an acceptable adjustment range. After servicing the bearings, I did adjust the brakes. So in my case, I would say that the 500 Km suggestion wasn’t all that critical.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 2020 17B
Attached is a link to a good video on how to adjust trailer brakes.

BC_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote