New tires on our truck - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2023, 09:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
New tires on our truck

We're driving a 2018 F150, bought used in December 2020 with 39,000 miles. We've got 72,000 miles now. The truck had Goodyear Wrangler LT275/65-18 on it when we bought it. I think these are the original tires based on date codes of 07/18. Tread depth is still about 5/32 which is kind of amazing. We're making a couple of long trips this summer. Should I replace these now?
Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 09:51 PM   #2

Trailer: SOLD - 2022 Escape 21NE
5 years is all they're engineered for, so even with sufficient tread, I say the truck is due for some new shoes.

My '21 F-150 came with the same size Wranglers as yours, but I decided to go with Falken Wildpeak AT3 (3 peak/snowflake) in 275/70/18 for a set of winter tires. I'm happy with them, but I did lose about 15% of my average MPG (not towing).

In 6 weeks I'll find out how much of a hit I get when I am towing.
Tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 09:53 PM   #3

I had those on my Highlander before I traded it for the F150, great tires in snow.
Old 03-24-2023, 02:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Throwing tires away just because they are five years old is ridiculous. Even the tire manufacturers don't suggest that, but it is a popular sales technique with some tire retailers.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 03:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shearwater View Post
We're driving a 2018 F150, bought used in December 2020 with 39,000 miles. We've got 72,000 miles now. The truck had Goodyear Wrangler LT275/65-18 on it when we bought it. I think these are the original tires based on date codes of 07/18. Tread depth is still about 5/32 which is kind of amazing. We're making a couple of long trips this summer. Should I replace these now?
I wore out several sets or wranglers when I had pickups. Always rotated including the spare.
Ran them down to 3/32. Always liked to have fresh ones put on in late fall on the 4WD pickups. Even at 3,4 or 5/32 they worked pretty well on snow and perfect on dry paving. When I bought new ones, the dealer would automatically charge me for disposal. I’d tell him to take the charge off, I’d take the tires with me. That kept them out of his used tire rack. Then I’d take them to the city park that had a tire machine. I’d leave them stacked up by the door and tell the foreman that the seasonals could have them. The next day there would magically be no tires and a couple happy seasonal guys or ladies. Did that with my Honda Accord Michelins too.

I have bought and sold tires for 60 years. Never worried about a car or truck tire aging out if it was getting driven regularly. Obviously some don’t feel this is correct and others feel I’m right. Matters not to me, this is my experience.

Have a great day, rotate your tires, check the pressures often, keep them balanced, inspect them and pick out the rocks.

I changed two valve stems on fluid filled rear tractor tires earlier this month. The tires are 21 years old. Heard one ask the other if he wanted to roll into town and have a cold one now that the fat guy gave us new stems and some fresh air. They looked good with 14 lbs pressure in them.

Iowa Dave
Old 03-24-2023, 03:58 PM   #6

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
My 2016 F150 has the original Wrangler Fortitudes on them. At only 51,000 they are still looking pretty good.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 05:23 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Throwing tires away just because they are five years old is ridiculous. Even the tire manufacturers don't suggest that, but it is a popular sales technique with some tire retailers.
Have to agree with this. Most LT and passenger tires these days can go for about 6-8 and even up to10 years as long as there is no dry rot and the tread is good. I never get close that though, as I usually accumulate miles before I go much beyond 5 years.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 08:24 PM   #8

Big difference with the new tires, glad we made the change. The old tires were doing a lot of slipping and sliding in the snow. The drifting was fun but maybe not while towing. I'm sure I could have gotten another summer out of the old ones but now I can relax.