New Trailer Winterizing Take Note! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2022, 03:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 E19
New Trailer Winterizing Take Note!

I set out to winterize my E19 (June 2022 build) today. Should have been a pretty straight forward task but after blowing out the lines I couldn't for the life of me get the pump to draw antifreeze out of the jug.
I primed and I sucked and I frigged but no luck. Finally I figured out what was wrong.
The winterizing valve was installed backwards!
So, when in normal position it would work fine drawing water from the fresh water tank but when the valve is turned to winterize mode the pump was bypassed and the flow was from the antifreeze jug direct into the water tank. I discovered this by blowing on the antifreeze pipe and could see the moisture in the pipe moving down the line to the water tank.
Thankfully I had 1/2" crimp rings and a pex install tool but I didn't have the tool to remove the old crimp rings.
Those things are buggers to get off! I could have cut the pipe but didn't have any 1/2" clear tubing.
Once the valve was turned around it worked like a charm.
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 03:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
That wouldn't be the first time an owner found that problem. Good work troubleshooting and fixing it, and thanks for sharing both.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 05:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
Those things are buggers to get off! I could have cut the pipe but didn't have any 1/2" clear tubing.
They can be removed without damage to the hose. I use a kid's size small hacksaw with a fine tooth blade but a regular fine tooth hacksaw blade held with just fingers would work fine.

By carefully cutting at a diagonal it's possible to follow the contour of the hose and cut through the ring. Operative word, carefully. Sometimes, if I don't want to push my luck I stop short of a full depth cut and can use needle nose pliers to work the cut a bit until it snaps.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 06:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
They can be removed without damage to the hose. I use a kid's size small hacksaw with a fine tooth blade but a regular fine tooth hacksaw blade held with just fingers would work fine.

By carefully cutting at a diagonal it's possible to follow the contour of the hose and cut through the ring. Operative word, carefully. Sometimes, if I don't want to push my luck I stop short of a full depth cut and can use needle nose pliers to work the cut a bit until it snaps.

Ron
I just used a pair of wire cutters and a flat screwdriver to pry it open a bit. It didn't have to open much to pull things apart and I managed to do it without stabbing myself with the screwdriver!
Old 10-16-2022, 06:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That wouldn't be the first time an owner found that problem. Good work troubleshooting and fixing it, and thanks for sharing both.
We’ve also seen some hot water heater bypass valves backwards
Old 10-16-2022, 10:36 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
If you've blown out the lines, why bother with antifreeze?
Old 10-17-2022, 07:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
If you've blown out the lines, why bother with antifreeze?
Why take the chance?
In our climate I don't know of anyone that would trust blowing out the water as the only winterizing method.
If using antifreeze you could skip the step of blowing out the lines but I prefer to get the water out first, which I feel comfortable of disposing in my yard.
After installing the antifreeze I then blow it out too, putting it back in the jug and take it next time I go to the hazard waste drop off (even though it is supposedly non toxic I feel better doing this).
Old 10-17-2022, 08:40 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Yep, same thing happened to my old 21. Winterizing valve was installed upside down. Easy to get it wrong but also easy to check it. Escape never checked it.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 08:55 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm going to be winterizing probably within next 2 weeks, so I will report back my results with the new 2022 E19.....
Old 10-17-2022, 12:34 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
I set out to winterize my E19 (June 2022 build) today. Should have been a pretty straight forward task but after blowing out the lines I couldn't for the life of me get the pump to draw antifreeze out of the jug.
I primed and I sucked and I frigged but no luck. Finally I figured out what was wrong.
The winterizing valve was installed backwards!
So, when in normal position it would work fine drawing water from the fresh water tank but when the valve is turned to winterize mode the pump was bypassed and the flow was from the antifreeze jug direct into the water tank. I discovered this by blowing on the antifreeze pipe and could see the moisture in the pipe moving down the line to the water tank.
Thankfully I had 1/2" crimp rings and a pex install tool but I didn't have the tool to remove the old crimp rings.
Once the valve was turned around it worked like a charm.
Hi: Fender... I thought you folks were familiar with a Nor Easter's big BLOW!!! I don't bother with anti freeze other than in the "P" traps. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 07:08 PM   #11

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Kinda hard to think about winterizing when it is 85 F in mid October.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 08:02 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Temps

It’s not hard to believe in winterization here in Iowa with the overnight temp here that will be 21F tonight. The use of the antifreeze, (Less than 5 bucks worth) , air pressure , suction, drains, T valves, pieces of towel to wick away wet spots, 220, 221, whatever it takes is what I’m going to do.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-17-2022, 08:08 PM   #13

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
Kinda hard to think about winterizing when it is 85 F in mid October.

I’m one of those people who could never see another snowflake in my life and be happy with it.
Grandson from California once ask me what winter in Missouri was like, I opened up the refrigerator freezer door and told him, it can be exactly like living inside of here.

I’ve found most people don’t really know too much about other areas, and when you try and explain real cold to a Californian, or the incredible weather in California to a never have seen it midwesterner, neither one of them really get it.

Try and think of it this way, mudslides, fires burning down whole communities, homeless making life miserable, hurricanes bringing the ocean thru your front window, drought-not even a thought here.
A particular problem may not be at your front door, it doesn’t make it any less real for someone else.

Everywhere has it’s issues, I’m sure working on cold weather to not be one of mine in the future.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 08:27 PM   #14

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Was the same here in Northeast Florida today...
Old 10-17-2022, 11:51 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Here in the PNW it's just way to hot for mid Oct. wildfires are really bad but thankfully rain is coming in at the end of the week. I'll drain all the water in the trailer, blow out the lines, most likely add antifreeze to the black and gray tank and pee traps. It doesn't usually get cold here until late jan maybe down to 16 degrees or so. I'm not worried about it because I'll be in sunny Arizona
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote