Oxidation Removal - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2017, 10:58 PM   #21

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
Possibly a dumb questions: Is there a reason the trailers can not be painted or something similar right off the get go, to avoid the oxidization issue?
Old 10-05-2017, 11:26 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I maintain my trailer by using Simonize Wash N Wax regularly ( maybe 6 times a year ) and by waxing it about once a year.
Paint also oxidizes if it's not maintained.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:37 PM   #23

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I maintain my trailer by using Simonize Wash N Wax regularly ( maybe 6 times a year ) and by waxing it about once a year.
Paint also oxidizes if it's not maintained.
Yes. But my experiences with automotive paint are that it does not oxidize as quickly as the impression I am getting here.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:46 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunfiddy View Post
Yes. But my experiences with automotive paint are that it does not oxidize as quickly as the impression I am getting here.
But check out the shine on the eight-year-old Escape in Post #3. I don't believe it's stored under cover either but could be wrong.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:49 PM   #25

Well, I got my trailer in July 2008 and I don't have a problem. I do need to wax it soon.
Years ago, someone suggested using Line-X to protect the wheel wells. I responded, that I will consider that if the wheel wells become so pitted as to be unsightly. I still haven't used Line-X and I drive a lot of gravel.

I think painting a new trailer is like having all your teeth extracted and replaced with dentures because you will likely get cavities over the years.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:22 AM   #26
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
I think painting a new trailer is like having all your teeth extracted and replaced with dentures because you will likely get cavities over the years.
gbaglo,
That has to be the best line I've heard in a long time. I do know with proper care and a nice rv port or garage your trailer will last a very long time and look like new.
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:33 AM   #27

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The roof of the 5.0TA was pretty bad last year and noticed the upper part of the front oxidizing this year, this with a once a year coat of Star Brite Polish. Took a lot of work to get it off the front using the DA. The best I can do is get it somewhat better on the roof. After reading the article I can see I need to g to a buffer and a compound as opposed to just a cleaner.

I imaging for those with non fifth wheels won't see the oxidation like I can on the up facing front of mine and the roof only matters to some. On our 4th year, the sides still look great. Cleaner and polish have been sufficient.

Thanks for the link to the article.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:42 AM   #28

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
Quote:
Well, I got my trailer in July 2008 and I don't have a problem. I do need to wax it soon.
Years ago, someone suggested using Line-X to protect the wheel wells. I responded, that I will consider that if the wheel wells become so pitted as to be unsightly. I still haven't used Line-X and I drive a lot of gravel.

Glen,
How often over that time has it needed some type
of " compound" and buffing rather than just wax? Just wondering, maybe Starbrite is the answer?
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:03 AM   #29

Twice I've used a polish, but only on the top, front edge, above the awning.
Son-in-law has polished the whole trailer once.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:18 PM   #30

Do you think ETI would mind me waxing during the orientation? };^)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-06-2017, 12:24 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
Do you think ETI would mind me waxing during the orientation? };^)
Funny you should say that. I waxed the front of our 17 in the RV campground right after picking it up. Mary said I was nuts, but then she says that often anyway.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:30 PM   #32

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i thought you did not need to wax for a while after pick up because of the wax on the mold -that it was protected- i was not planning on waxing mine until spring. I thought i heard that from someone on the forum- maybe my wishful thinking!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:35 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
i thought you did not need to wax for a while after pick up because of the wax on the mold -that it was protected- i was not planning on waxing mine until spring. I thought i heard that from someone on the forum- maybe my wishful thinking!
Well, like I said, Mary said I was nuts! But those bugs sure came off easily when we got home

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-06-2017, 12:39 PM   #34

I see myself taking some wax to Chilliwack...ha ha

Old 10-06-2017, 12:46 PM   #35

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The bugs would have come off easily regardless of the wax with the new shine on a new trailer.
I would think new fiberglass, like new automotive paint needs curing and most do not recommend anything other than washing the first 6 months to a year.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:02 PM   #36

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
...most do not recommend anything other than washing the first 6 months to a year.
I'm pretty certain that Reace has said that numerous times.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:13 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I'm pretty certain that Reace has said that numerous times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The bugs would have come off easily regardless of the wax with the new shine on a new trailer.
I would think new fiberglass, like new automotive paint needs curing and most do not recommend anything other than washing the first 6 months to a year.
I asked in 2010 when we picked up our 17 and Tammy said it could be washed and waxed anytime. Seems curious if Reace and Tammy were saying different things? And I think that it has been decades that the paint on cars has been baked on as part of the process, so that they too can be waxed anytime.?

This time when we picked up the 21, I asked Reace if there was still wax left on from the mold release they use. He said that they have moved on to a longer lasting, newer type of mold release that does not have to be reapplied as often. But because of that, the fiberglass does not have nearly as much of it left on when it comes out of the molds. Older mold release products acted very much like left over wax, but my understanding of what he was saying was that the newer stuff does not, or at least not nearly as much.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:20 PM   #38

I think once gelcoat cooks, it's pretty much done. No aging required.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:26 PM   #39

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunfiddy View Post
... Is there a reason the trailers can not be painted or something similar right off the get go, to avoid the oxidization issue?
Although paint is a better finish than gelcoat, painting adds substantial cost, and that's the main reason it is usually not done. There's also the minor issue that a scratch through paint is more visible and more of a potential issue than a scratch in gelcoat (which doesn't reveal a different colour unless it's right through the relatively thick gelcoat).

Eventually even a painted surface will need some work. Since paint is very thin, major repair of the finish often means re-painting, but gelcoat is so thick that it can take a lot of abrasive removal of the damaged surface before you run out of gelcoat.

If a trailer is painted, it is best done during construction and before any windows or other fitting are added. If done later in life, a proper paint job would require removing all of those things. If you paint immediately after the trailer is built (without taking stuff off first) you save effort in maintenance of the finish, but eventually flaws around windows and other fittings will likely become apparent.

Painting is necessary to meet the expectations of the automotive industry (e.g. Corvettes, which have always been fiberglass and have always been painted), but the as-moulded gelcoat is generally considered suitable for RVs.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 04:46 PM   #40

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Paint our beautiful trailer?? Last I could look when the roof was clean, it still looked great but maybe I have not looked closely enough. Will see on next washing.

I wonder if the 5.0 has more of a problem at the front roof area and perhaps needs more attention?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote