Parking in the sun - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2016, 04:31 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Parking in the sun

This summer we are only going to be using the Escape for a two week vacation to the thousand islands -- meanwhile it's parked in full sun in front of our house. I keep wondering if there is any problem with this -- if we need to get it into some shade -- if three months of full sun will harm the fiberglass or if maybe it's actually better for it. Thoughts?
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:50 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
This summer we are only going to be using the Escape for a two week vacation to the thousand islands -- meanwhile it's parked in full sun in front of our house. I keep wondering if there is any problem with this -- if we need to get it into some shade -- if three months of full sun will harm the fiberglass or if maybe it's actually better for it. Thoughts?
Best I can tell is the roof gets pretty oxidized, sides are okay. Needs to be either ignored or waxed.

I put sheets of reflectix in the narrower windows and large construction paper between the bigger windows and the shades in an effort to limit bleaching the dinette cushions and the shades, as well as cut down on heat. Won't be using it till Sept.

I'll probably get some tire covers for at least the sunny side.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15a
Personally, I would buy a cover (if you don't have one). Our UHaul is too tall to fit in our garage so one of the first things I did was buy a cover, albeit a cheap one off of eBay. Surprisingly, the cover is three years old now and besides the squirrel damage, it has held up well. Damn squirrels!
Lv4toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Best I can tell is the roof gets pretty oxidized, sides are okay. Needs to be either ignored or waxed.

I put sheets of reflectix in the narrower windows and large construction paper between the bigger windows and the shades in an effort to limit bleaching the dinette cushions and the shades, as well as cut down on heat. Won't be using it till Sept.

I'll probably get some tire covers for at least the sunny side.
Just a thought: if you have thermal pane windows, be very careful of putting highly reflective material behind them in the sun. The reflected rays can build the heat to a point where the seal gets disturbed on the window and you will end up with fogged windows. This is a caution often stated for house windows. If you use Reflectix, cover one side with white material that faces the outside.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:36 AM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
RV sales lots are in the sun and a lot of rigs stay there 'till they're sold. Fiberglass boats stay all summer, and some all year long in the sun, often uncovered. I wouldn't worry about it. You, on the other hand should be using a sunscreen with a SPF of 15 or higher.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:51 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Last week it was about 90 degrees here. Hot for Iowa in June but by no means a record. I came home about sundown . The 2005 Accord was on the driveway. As I walked by it, I noticed the sunroof had exploded with tempered glass everywhere. My first thought was baseball but nope, the glass apparently decided that ten years in the sun was enough. Body shop said they had done three last week. Looked it up on Al Gore's Internet. Happens all the time. Comprehensive covered all but $100. About the same as a non resident one night stay in a Washinton State Park. Oh well.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
RV sales lots are in the sun and a lot of rigs stay there 'till they're sold. Fiberglass boats stay all summer, and some all year long in the sun, often uncovered. I wouldn't worry about it. You, on the other hand should be using a sunscreen with a SPF of 15 or higher.
And a hat that covers your haid. Those trips to the dermatologist for melanoma and skin cancer aren't all that enjoyable.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:51 AM   #8

and take up valuable vacation time Dave.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:39 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I always wear a hat and long sleeves when I'm in the sun for a long time -- and at the beach I'll put on a long skirt -- gauzy fabric -- But no sunscreen. I always suspected that it wasn't a really good idea and recently I read something about it that kind of confirmed my thoughts. For one thing ironically it blocks absorption of Vitamin D, which a lot of us are deficient in. But the chemicals are toxic and they don't just stay on the skin.

I'm done worrying about the trailer -- at least about the sun.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:25 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
I always wear a hat and long sleeves when I'm in the sun for a long time -- and at the beach I'll put on a long skirt -- gauzy fabric -- But no sunscreen. I always suspected that it wasn't a really good idea and recently I read something about it that kind of confirmed my thoughts. For one thing ironically it blocks absorption of Vitamin D, which a lot of us are deficient in. But the chemicals are toxic and they don't just stay on the skin.

I'm done worrying about the trailer -- at least about the sun.
I can't use sunscreen . I break out . All I can do is cover up . I suspected it was"t good for us anyway . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:42 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
Ruthe, if your 2014 19' has the rear upper brake lights keep an eye on the cauking. High/extreme heat can warp the connection been the light fixture and trailer body.

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:54 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Growing up in the 50's there wasn't sunscreen, only tanning oil. We used natures sunscreen, shade, and if we got too much sun we learned our lesson.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Growing up in the 50's there wasn't sunscreen, only tanning oil. We used natures sunscreen, shade, and if we got too much sun we learned our lesson.
you may just learn that lesson again too.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:32 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Hi: cpaharley2008... Now I need SPF 50 in my Brylcreem and more than "A little dab'll do ya" too!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:44 AM   #15

Hi Alf
You know very well that when your hair went away along with mine and a few others, Brylcreme, HA ( hair arranger), Butch Wax, all went out of business. It bothered me for a while till I figured out I could service the wheel bearings for years with the stuff I had left over. I'm an original recycler and nuts too.
Dave
Old 06-26-2016, 11:16 AM   #16

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Actually you can still buy Brylcream. It is back. I remember as a kid with curly hair it was one of those things that got rid of the frizzys.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:55 AM   #17

Check the code date, might be new old stock. Is Lucas Oil the manufacturer? Years ago Purdue University beat The University of Iowa in a football game. The next day the Sports page in the hometown paper led with " Hawkeyes find Griese no kids stuff!" Aaah advertising slogans, the good ones never die.
Dave
Old 06-26-2016, 05:01 PM   #18

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
My family still laughs about my very sleepy father yelling from the bathroom after he grabbed the wrong tube and started to brush his teeth. I don't know why he even had Brylcreem any more, he was bald my entire life.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	17341
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:33 PM   #19

Jim, How's the motorcycle camping going this summer? Hope you are getting out and having some fun.
Dave & Rita
Old 06-26-2016, 10:26 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
... if three months of full sun will harm the fiberglass or if maybe it's actually better for it. Thoughts?
We parked our 21' in the Texas sun (Big Bend) for three months this spring and the liquid in the bubble level disappeared. Of course, in Big Bend most liquid disappears rather fast.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote