Poli Glow Fail - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2018, 10:16 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
Poli Glow Fail

I saw a mention of Poli Glow on this forum, so I thought I’d give it a try.

I began with Poli Prep, their concentrated cleaner. It worked great. Then I watched some videos about applying Poli Glow and decided to try it on the lid of my front storage box. I followed all the directions, but it was a major fail. The Poli Glow dried rough and was slightly goopy.

Other people may have had more success, and as Donna says, YMMV, but I finally removed the Poli Glow from the box lid (not an easy process) and then applied Klasse sealant that has always served me well to the entire trailer. It turned out great.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:56 PM   #2

I've happily used PolyGlow for years on our Casita ( also white fiberglass ) and have found the following to get the best results:

1. Applying many thin coats is better than heavier coats
2. Slow drying is much preferred, it lays down smoother
3. Do not apply in the Sun, or on a very dry day
4. The surface must be extremely clean, to a point ( avoid dust )
5. No wax or anything slippery can remain on the surface, or it will peel

A newer fiberglass camper won't need PolyGlow for many years if we are diligent with polishing and wax, but once the gelcoat goes/oxidides, PolyGlow is great.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:19 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I have to ask, if it's a 2015, why apply Poliglow? A newer trailer will look great for a long time with just regular washing and waxing.

I've seen 10 year old Escapes where the owner properly maintained the gelcoat and it was still immaculate.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:52 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
Poli Glow is advertised as a replacement for wax.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:58 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Karen View Post
Poli Glow is advertised as a replacement for wax.
They focus on "restoring" a faded or oxidized surface. It's right on their front page: "make faded fiberglass shine like new". My point is, a properly maintained gelcoat doesn't need to be restored.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:01 PM   #6

PolyGlow works well to restore, but you can use it to maintain a sparkling shine on a new surface as well. It just a choice. If I were to go PolyGlow from the start, I'd never put anything else on my new Escape from day one. Switching from wax to PolyGlow requires LOTS of work ( sore elbows ), believe me !
Old 03-19-2018, 02:36 PM   #7

I understand, rbryan4. Perhaps I used the wrong product. My point was that the application process did not work for me, and that's what I wanted to share. For all I know, I may be the only one who ever had a problem.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:07 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Perhaps you may have had better results on the trailer vs the front box. That lid, albeit fg is nowhere the material used on the main body.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:08 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Perhaps you may have had better results on the trailer vs the front box. That lid, albeit fg is nowhere the material used on the main body.
Not to put too fine a point on it, but I believe the surface of the storage box lid and the surface of the trailer shell are identical: both are smooth gelcoat. What's underneath is irrelevant when it comes to surface protection.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:24 AM   #10

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Maybe you can use polyglow for the roof for less up keep? Is it easyer to apply then wax? Is it tougher? Why do you use it?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
Maybe you can use polyglow for the roof for less up keep? Is it easyer to apply then wax? Is it tougher? Why do you use it?
As a long time user, I can say using it is a bit more complicated than wax, but will last longer, and is pretty easy to touch up once a year.
It's a polymer coating, almost like applying a "clear coat" finish. So, prep, prep, prep,...is everything. Whatever is on the surface will be sealed there until you remove the PolyGlow over top of it, so cleanliness is essential. It's quite durable if you've prep'd properly (i.e. no waxes or silicone anywhere ).

They DO actually say not to use it on a New surface, so I will be waxing our new 21' until I get sick of doing so.

Here's their FAQ:

https://poliglow-int.com/faq/
Old 03-20-2018, 07:20 AM   #12

This may be the secret, the op tried it on a 2015 model which may have been too new, thus it failed. I remember using it on my 7 year old EggCamper and it worked to restore the shine, but a trailer that is still shiny it may not work. The EggCamper was dull and soaked up the polish and after 4 applications the shine started to come back, but if your unit is still shiny that tells me not to use the floor polish.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:36 AM   #13

Quote:
This may be the secret, the op tried it on a 2015 model which may have been too new, thus it failed. I remember using it on my 7 year old EggCamper and it worked to restore the shine, but a trailer that is still shiny it may not work. The EggCamper was dull and soaked up the polish and after 4 applications the shine started to come back, but if your unit is still shiny that tells me not to use the floor polish.
Well, I can tell you it's NOT floor polish. It might be relatively similar to floor polish, as some people have actually TRIED floor polish on their campers ( I did ). Now THAT will really give you a "fail". PolyGlow has UV/sunscreen stuff in it, and doesn't fade or turn brown like actual floor polish ( yes, I have personal experience with THAT!?!?).

I have been able to apply PolyGlow to a shiny new 'looking' surface ( i.e. the bottom half of our Casita looked like new, the top half was badly oxidized ) and get wonderful results. It's all about HOW you prep and apply it. You must pick a day with near perfect conditions, no wind, not too dry, and apply numerous thin coats with a good lint-free cloth, like a microfiber washcloth.
If you ask the PolyGlow people what the issue is with brand-spanking-new boats and RV's, they may say something about oils or release agents...I'm not sure.

It's a good product and I will eventually move back to it when I can't get a shine from the polish/wax routine on our new 21'. Hopefully that will be many years to come. YMMV

This is an "after" picture showing a freshly done PolyGlow treatment on our 2004 Casita. I think it looks BETTER than new. I wish I had a "before" photo, but the top was very badly oxidized and looked flat and chalky. PolyGlow was great for that.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20130826_182512_424.jpg  
Old 03-20-2018, 09:40 AM   #14

My bad, I confused PoliGlow with RedMax and Zep floor finishes.....
Old 03-20-2018, 10:11 AM   #15

Quote:
My bad, I confused PoliGlow with RedMax and Zep floor finishes.....

Exactly. That's what I tried, RedMax...uh...don't do it...big mistake.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:26 AM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
RedMax Pro was discontinued I think, in 2012. I used it on my '81 Burro and my '86 Scamp and got spectacular results. Zep Wet Look #3 is I think, the same thing. Yes, a floor finish. Reading the mountain of threads on these products on the Fiberglass Forum suggests everyone who has used it loves the results. Only negative issue seems to be when you apply it too thickly instead of 4-6 thin coats. That's also my opinion.

Consensus seems that using it, and Barkeepers Friend, seems to be the go-to best application for restoring older, oxidized eggs.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:32 AM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm still asking, if you use floor polish on your trailer, can you then walk on the roof?
Old 03-20-2018, 01:21 PM   #18

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
OK i will wax my new trailer! got it in Oct so i haven't waxed it yet. Looks great but maybe should do a wax job as i head into summer?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
OK i will wax my new trailer! got it in Oct so i haven't waxed it yet. Looks great but maybe should do a wax job as i head into summer?
Absolutely, yes !

Old 03-20-2018, 04:15 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
I have been able to apply PolyGlow to a shiny new 'looking' surface ( i.e. the bottom half of our Casita looked like new, the top half was badly oxidized ) and get wonderful results. It's all about HOW you prep and apply it.
If you ask the PolyGlow people what the issue is with brand-spanking-new boats and RV's, they may say something about oils or release agents...I'm not sure.
From the Poli Glow FAQ:
Quote:
Why do I need to use Poli Prep first?
Poli Prep is designed to remove any wax, light stains, or light oxidation from the surface. It’s important that the surface is clean, dull, and uniformed before you apply the Poli Glow.
If someone wanted to treat Poli Glow as a clearcoat, and convert their new Escape to a base/clear system, they would presumably need to cut the original gloss for adhesion. I don't think it needs to wear a uniform , but a uniformly non-glossy surface seems to be important.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote