RainX - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2018, 10:09 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 on order
RainX

Has anyone wiped the front of the trailer with RainX to make cleaning bugs off easier?

I've heard of sticks and staples folks doing it but don't know if this is a problem on a fiberglass unit.
Kingbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:35 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbiscuit View Post
Has anyone wiped the front of the trailer with RainX to make cleaning bugs off easier?

I've heard of sticks and staples folks doing it but don't know if this is a problem on a fiberglass unit.

We use Mequiar's Flagship marine boat wax on our 19. I put two coats of wax on the entire trailer because of my great experience with this product when we had a boat. On our recent trip to the rally we had some bugs on the front and, after a rainstorm one night, most of the bugs were wiped off. Upon return home, it was easy to wipe off the remaining bugs.

After our second trip, again bugs came off the front easily. For those less energetic, one coat on the entire trailer and multiple coats on the front would work to make bug removal easier.

Meguiar's has two Flagship waxes, one is just the wax and the other is a mild cleaner wax to address oxidation. I used the former since our trailer is new.

I use Rainex on my windshield and like it but in the small print it says to be careful with rubbers and plastics so I'm not sure how it would react to gel coat.
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:05 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Dan, I probably would not use Rain-X on anything that wasn't glass. It can discolor or cause problems. Rain-X does make another product called "2-In-1 Exterior Detailer and Water Repellent" that's designed for painted surfaces, and would probably work fine on gelcoat. But, there are other products out there specifically for gelcoat surfaces such as Meguiars or Starbrite (my favorite) that I would try first.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
If anyone wants some free Rain-X they are welcome to stop by and pick it up. I find it adds successive layers to the windshield and unless you are diligent about applying it regularly, the old layers trap moisture and give your windshield cataracts. Once you start, you can't stop using it. I now clean my windshield with methyl hydrate once year to strip off the wax from the car wash product I use. The wax does the same thing that Rain-X does, trap moisture from dew that remains until the windshield heats up.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by davescape View Post
The wax does the same thing that Rain-X does, trap moisture from dew that remains until the windshield heats up.

AHA! So it's not just me. I bought Rain-X many years ago and applied it to the windshield of the company car. Got up on a cool, wet morning and had to sit in the car, with the engine running, for ten minutes while the windshield warmed up and cleared so I could drive.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:42 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by davescape View Post
If anyone wants some free Rain-X they are welcome to stop by and pick it up. I find it adds successive layers to the windshield and unless you are diligent about applying it regularly, the old layers trap moisture and give your windshield cataracts.
I'm not a fan of RainX either. I've used glass wax for years with very good results. It even helps fill the minute scratches in the glass that distort the clarity over time. They used to use this stuff all the time but nowadays everyone seems to be using an ammonia based product like Windex. Use this glass wax on the windows in your home and you'll be quite pleased at the result. Use it on bathroom mirrors and the fogging will also be greatly reduced.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180624-124200_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	32412
Old 06-24-2018, 12:43 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I use RainX in my sticks 'n bricks fiberglass shower stall. The fiberglass isn't white, so I don't care if it changes a slightly different color. I do know it makes keeping the shower stall cleaner, longer and easier.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:56 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Good idea! I like it!

Chuck
citabria90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:09 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
I use Nu-Finish on the outside of the trailer and inside the shower, does a great job. Its not a wax but a sealer. Bugs come off quite easy mostly.
All the water beads up and runs off the walls inside the shower also.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
I use the liquid "all season" bug and tar Rain-X in my windshield dispenser. So far so good. Didn't like the wax one.

Even hit a small amount on the front bug cemetery while recently washing the trailer and it helped get the dried on guts off. Washed it normally after that.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:22 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Add me to the list that doesn't think much of Rain-X. I've tried it on windows & ended up with streaking, tried it on mirrors & they held droplets of water long after everything else dried. Anyone is welcome to the rest of my bottle!
Old 06-24-2018, 04:24 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
i found hte rainx windsheild washer fluid to be AWFUL, it gummed up the pumps in my older mercedes, I had to disassemble them and flush the whole system out. went back to 20-10 diluted with distilled water.

the original classic rainx works quite well for me, IF you first /really/ clean the glass, then apply rainx and buff and buff and buff it on with dry clean CLOTH not paper... if the glass has any sort of film on it before you apply the rainx, it will make a streaky mess.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:37 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I learned a trick from cab drivers, using newspaper to wipe clean the windshield, it seems the ink helps to clean the glass using just water.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:45 PM   #14
Site Team

newsprint ink is a bit oily.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:28 PM   #15

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I learned a trick from cab drivers, using newspaper to wipe clean the windshield, it seems the ink helps to clean the glass using just water.

My Grandfather showed me that trick when I got my first car.

Newspapers, useful for more than lining the bird cage.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:41 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
My Grandfather showed me that trick when I got my first car.

Newspapers, useful for more than lining the bird cage.

The only problem with that is that newspapers no longer use the inks they used to use. New inks are "green". Been this way for at least 10 years, to my knowledge. Not the same chemical composition.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:06 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The only problem with that is that newspapers no longer use the inks they used to use. New inks are "green". Been this way for at least 10 years, to my knowledge. Not the same chemical composition.
yeah, lots of 'old favorite tricks' no longer work. you used to be able to make a really good penetrating oil for freeing rusted bolts out of ATF and acetone, but the ATF formulas just don't have the same ingredients and it doesn't work like it used to.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:09 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I use the Rain-X windshield washer fluid and so far I'm pretty happy with it. Speaking of Rain-X products-- a few months ago I bought their windshield wiper blades and are very pleased with them. Try them out the next time you swap out blades.

I certainly don't want "windshield cataracts". I just had a cataract removed from my right eye and the left one is next. That's enough for me.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:54 PM   #19

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I don't like the ink all over my hands so I use the digital edition. The downside is I've worn out 5 smartphones cleaning my windshield
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:30 AM   #20

Trailer: Recently sold '97 Airstream, looking
I've had mediocre results using Rain-X, so can't endorse it's use. Based on something I read years ago, I tried Pam, the spray for kitchen frying pans. Don't do it! It is really ineffective in keeping bugs from bonding to the front of the trailer, and it is extremely difficult to remove from the front of the trailer after it has dried. Soap will not get it off. Just a heads up. Don't do what I did!
thombiz is offline   Reply With Quote