Read if you have Spray Foam Under Body Insulation - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2019, 01:59 PM   #21

Trailer: 505 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My Dometic 2510 has no drain tube. It has a tray under the fins. I have to empty it if I defrost the fridge.

So, in tracking down your drain tube, it would be helpful to know the fridge model. Perhaps there is more than one way of dealing with drains.

Will do! Thanks for the tip. Will look at that and post what I find.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 02:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I thought that drain was there also for propane leaks, so if your unit runs off propane there should be a drain in the rear for leaks as well as condensate. My hose more or less goes straight down, perhaps a thin wire may pin point its exit?
Yup, the cabinet has the drain. I was thinking of using a fish wire to see if it comes out or push it thru. Good idea to start with a thin wire.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:12 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanLewis View Post
Maybe they thought it's so dry in New Mexico that we don't need no stinking drain.
LOL. That is not too far from the situation here. High desert means hot/dry summers and cold/dry winters. Not to worry, we get an average of 4-6 in annual precip, 10 in on the wet years... or there about .
Old 10-29-2019, 07:45 PM   #24

Quote:
My Dometic 2510 has no drain tube. It has a tray under the fins. I have to empty it if I defrost the fridge.

So, in tracking down your drain tube, it would be helpful to know the fridge model. Perhaps there is more than one way of dealing with drains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Will do! Thanks for the tip. Will look at that and post what I find.
It seems that I'll need to track down the drain tube as well. Mine has a tray under the fins that drains to the left into a small hole going out to the back of the fridge.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:49 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My tray has no hole. It slides out so you can dump it.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:51 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanLewis View Post
Maybe they thought it's so dry in New Mexico that we don't need no stinking drain.

Quote:
LOL. That is not too far from the situation here. High desert means hot/dry summers and cold/dry winters. Not to worry, we get an average of 4-6 in annual precip, 10 in on the wet years... or there about .
Stan, just saw you are in the 505, just down the road from us... (was on my cell when I replied and didn't see your location). We should see some moisture in a few months... lol. My Chapstick is running low.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:53 PM   #27

Quote:
My tray has no hole. It slides out so you can dump it.
I was hoping for that, cringed when I saw the hole.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:13 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You haven't posted the fridge model number. I'd look up a parts list for your fridge. That would give you an idea of what's supposed to be where.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:21 PM   #29

Quote:
You haven't posted the fridge model number. I'd look up a parts list for your fridge. That would give you an idea of what's supposed to be where.
I should have time this weekend to get this and some pictures for others. Appreciate your insight Glenn.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:34 AM   #30

Trailer: 2013 19'
Frig drain

Thanks for the info. I checked my 2013 19' and could clearly see the drain hose about 4 inches below the foam.
sokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:05 PM   #31

Quote:
... I got under there today for a quick look. No drain pipe to be found. I'll try pouring water down the drain this weekend to see if I missed it somehow.
Quote:
I thought that drain was there also for propane leaks, so if your unit runs off propane there should be a drain in the rear for leaks as well as condensate. My hose more or less goes straight down, perhaps a thin wire may pin point its exit?
Quote:
Yup, the cabinet has the drain. I was thinking of using a fish wire to see if it comes out or push it thru. Good idea to start with a thin wire.
Here is the outcome of the search for the cabinet drain pipe exit. Took a pic of the pipe below the fridge to see where it would end up. It is routed between the wheel wells and then down between the fridge/pantry walls and thru the floor. Notice the alignment between the drain pipe and propane line.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191101_122606.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	43072
The drain pipe did not exit but was found above the propane line just beside the tee. This pic shows the fish wire pushed thru. It did not go easy... more on that in a moment...

Name:	20191101_124651.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	43073

Cleaned some of the expanding foam and decided not to bother with extending the tube due to the location and hassle. It would only need about 3" extension.

Name:	20191101_131852.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	43074
When cleaning out the foam, this came out of the tube as well .

Name:	20191101_132058.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	43075

I figure the screw was put in the tube to keep the foam out when it was applied (?) and then forgotten. Getting the fish wire thru was a challenge... the little blockage you see above is why.

Good news is that it is now fixed!
Old 11-01-2019, 09:28 PM   #32

part 2 - missing fridge drain tube

Quote:
...(BTW, not related but the condensation drain tube seems to be missing on mine. Opened the vent cover to see where the drain started to get a reference point... and no drain tube from above It is looking like I'll get to know the back of the fridge this weekend... )
Found the missing tube. It is a different setup from what I'm familiar with so didn't "see it" when I looked before . Here it is:

You are looking at a cup that catches the water when condensation drips down and into the drain line.

To be sure, I poured water in the fridge tray. It came out the other side in the cup:

Not a fan of a cup of water sloshing around as the trailer is heading down the highway . Planning to extend the line so it can drip into the cabinet drain line. Here is the model of the fridge for those who want to compare to their unit:
Attached Thumbnails
fridge1.jpg   fridge2.jpg   fridge3.jpg  
Old 11-01-2019, 09:51 PM   #33

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Quote:
Some fridges have a drain to the rear compartment for condensation/defrosting. The older RM 2510 manual fridge Glenn is referring to only has a catch pan inside the fridge that you have to remove and dump. Either way the fridge compartment itself should still have a drain to the underside of the trailer. You can see ours in the lower right of photo. I always thought this was for any water that might get past the ventilation grille while traveling or a driving rain when camped.
Attached Thumbnails
040BF541-3EE7-4EF7-9F86-493FC5586E16.jpeg  
Old 11-02-2019, 01:57 AM   #34

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Found the missing tube. It is a different setup from what I'm familiar with so didn't "see it" when I looked before . Here it is:
Attachment 43077
You are looking at a cup that catches the water when condensation drips down and into the drain line.

To be sure, I poured water in the fridge tray. It came out the other side in the cup:
Attachment 43078

Not a fan of a cup of water sloshing around as the trailer is heading down the highway . Planning to extend the line so it can drip into the cabinet drain line. Here is the model of the fridge for those who want to compare to their unit:
Attachment 43079

(edit... sorry if the pics are sideways... they are upright on my pc and phone. Maybe a moderator would kindly fix...)
A word of caution on "fixing" the water sloshing around issue. some of us remember the Dometic cooling debacle back in 2015 where ETI had Dometic replace our refrigerators. There were several fixes suggest, one included keeping water in that cup to cover the tube hole as it was thought that going down the road, warm air would enter the unit via that tube and water prevented that from happening. So if you fix or change anything back there, watch your performance for any changes.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:11 AM   #35

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Mine's the same as Merlin's. As Jim mentions we thought the open tube to the fridge was a source of warm air causing the fridge to warm up as we drove. I tried filling the cup but noticed no difference. I also never notice any water in the cup that I hadn't put there in the first place. One would think manually defrosting the fins would send the water to the cup, but not on mine, just runs down the inside of the fridge.

On mine the whole tube/cup setup is useless. I ended up sticking a smaller tube into the larger tube that goes to the cup and bypassing the cup altogether. The small tube I put into the drain hole.

The fridge temp has been fine after doing the other dozen or so mods we all came up with... The main one being deflecting the outside airflow from the burner when moving.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:33 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Mine's the same as Merlin's. As Jim mentions we thought the open tube to the fridge was a source of warm air causing the fridge to warm up as we drove. I tried filling the cup but noticed no difference. I also never notice any water in the cup that I hadn't put there in the first place. One would think manually defrosting the fins would send the water to the cup, but not on mine, just runs down the inside of the fridge.

On mine the whole tube/cup setup is useless. I ended up sticking a smaller tube into the larger tube that goes to the cup and bypassing the cup altogether. The small tube I put into the drain hole.

The fridge temp has been fine after doing the other dozen or so mods we all came up with... The main one being deflecting the outside airflow from the burner when moving.
Agreed. Our fridge is running super cold, no issues. The tube is stuck high up on the cup so the water level would need to be maintained at 3/4 cup or higher. When I discovered the cup, it was bone dry with grey looking dirt on the bottom and had some water scale so did collect water at some point.

Whey I saw the setup, I first thought that the cup would attract insects or rodents while any water evaporated so decided then to bypass the cup.

Then thought it was weird that the design would have the cup with any water bouncing around in there. Seems like they figured it out on the newer designs.

Thanks for the response. Confirms that I'm on the right track.