Read if you have Spray Foam Under Body Insulation - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2019, 11:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 - 2016 GMC Canyon 4x4 Diesel
Read if you have Spray Foam Under Body Insulation

On two of our trips this past summer, we had an issue with water entering the trailer from under the cabinet below the refrigerator. In both cases there was long-lasting and fairly heavy rain accompanied by wind blowing toward the driver's side of the trailer. Here's what I found when I went looking for the leak.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Drain 1.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	42633

This is the condensation drain line for the refrigerator. Looking closely, you may see water standing in the (plugged) tube which should drain out the bottom of the trailer. By experimenting, I found that under the conditions of rain and wind that we encountered, water will get into the refrigerator cabinet through the outside vent cover. I concluded that eventually, with enough water and the drain plugged, it will leak out over the edge of the refrigerator cabinet and into the trailer.

Name:	Drain 2.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	42634

Here is a view underneath the trailer where the drain line should exit. There was no drain line to be seen.

Name:	Drain 3.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	42635

After digging out around eight inches of foam, I found the end of the drain line, which clearly was plugged from when we took delivery. We didn't notice any problem until now because we live and mostly camp in the desert southwest and had never been out in the particular rain/wind conditions that allow water into the cabinet until this past summer. Of course it's possible that some water has been infiltrating the cabinet all along, but not enough to make it's way out into the open to be seen.

Name:	Drain 4.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	42636

Here's the new drain line I installed. It's a foot longer than the original. Not shown is that I then refilled the area with foam, both to retain the insulating qualities and to seal the opening where the tube exits the trailer body. The new line extends about three inches below the foam.

I did contact ETI regarding this issue, suggesting that they review their procedures to determine whether this was/is unique to our trailer or is part of a systemic problem with the spray foam insulation install. Dustin (in ETI Parts & Service) responded "I can assure you that this must have been a one off." I have no reason to doubt this assertion, but I would suggest that anyone with the under body insulation option might want to check.

"It ain't what you don't know that hurts you - it's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” - S. Clemens
StanLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:28 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Thank you Stan for sharing your experience with this issue, I'm going to take a close look at the frig drain in my unit asap.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:27 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Thanks Stan.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:49 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Thumbs up

Thanks for the heads up and great detective work and write up. I'll check mine today....
Old 10-15-2019, 10:37 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
When I removed some panels in the cabinet below our fridge, I found the fridge drain tube had a big dip in it and was full of water. This of course is going to freeze. I don’t think there would be a problem in newish trailers as the tube is very flexible...but 10 years or so when things get old and crusty, this tube could crack/split and the water will drain in behind your lower cabinet wall.

Post 207 in the link below shows the lower cabinet in the 19 I am talking about and how to access the drain tube.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post276865

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:12 AM   #6

That dip was there for a purpose, I'm talking about the drain tube from the refer to the lower refer compartment which has a hole for the liquid to drain out as well as propane leaks. Anyway the proper install includes a trap to keep air out of the refer compartment between the refer and the drain. Condensate from the refer will fill the trap with liquid. If you are referring to anything outside the compartment then that is another story.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:57 AM   #7

I am referring to the tube on route to coming out of the bottom of the trailer.
Most people should be able to stick there hand up in behind the rear cabinet wall and remove the dip...if they have one.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:16 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Thanks, Stan. Going to check right now.

Edit: Checked: OK. Ours extends several inches below the foam, and it's natural curve is oriented towards the rear.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:10 PM   #9

Where should the drain tube come out on a 2018 19ft trailer? I have looked under the trailer in the vicinity of the left rear tire and left front tire and cannot find any tube hanging down or view any noticeable holes in the spray foam insulation. At the moment I can only view the area from the side of the trailer since the insulation is so low I cannot fully crawl under the trailer.

Looking into the drain hole from the top I can see there is a tube and looking over the back of the lower cabinet under the refrigerator I can see the tube but cannot see where it goes without removing the decorative back of the cabinet (do not want to do this unless I have no choice).

I thought I would ask for some words of wisdom on where the tube should come out under a 19 before going to plan B - pouring some water down the drain and see if it comes out (I am hesitant to do this at the moment because if the drain is plugged with foam the water would go anywhere and stay anywhere). Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:24 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 19'
I took a long neck watering can and slowly poured water down the drain hole in the frig cabinet. I could then see it flow out between the tires. As long as you don't overflow the drain there is no harm done.

Ken
Dee08802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Adventures View Post
Where should the drain tube come out on a 2018 19ft trailer? I have looked under the trailer in the vicinity of the left rear tire and left front tire and cannot find any tube hanging down or view any noticeable holes in the spray foam insulation. At the moment I can only view the area from the side of the trailer since the insulation is so low I cannot fully crawl under the trailer.

Looking into the drain hole from the top I can see there is a tube and looking over the back of the lower cabinet under the refrigerator I can see the tube but cannot see where it goes without removing the decorative back of the cabinet (do not want to do this unless I have no choice).

I thought I would ask for some words of wisdom on where the tube should come out under a 19 before going to plan B - pouring some water down the drain and see if it comes out (I am hesitant to do this at the moment because if the drain is plugged with foam the water would go anywhere and stay anywhere). Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
I can't know for sure since our trailer is a 21, but assuming the 19 is built in a similar fashion, the drain tube goes down from roughly the center of the refrigerator cabinet, jogs inboard to clear the wheel well, then straight down out the bottom of the trailer just inside the frame rail. Judging from photos of the new 19, that would have the tube exiting the trailer roughly centered between the axles. No reason to route the tube fore or aft since the object is just drainage.

"It ain't what you don't know that hurts you - it's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” - S. Clemens
Old 10-21-2019, 09:41 AM   #12

Thank you, that gives me a starting point to attempt to locate the drain tube. Thanks again.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:17 PM   #13

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Might want to check your drain tube for an insect screen. Mud @#$ bees got in mine one year(another trailer) and I had a real mess.

I couldn't find a screen (as in water hose) that I thought would fit so I cut a regular window screen and fit it over the hose opening. Secured it with a tie wrap. Primitive but works well.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:22 PM   #14

Here is a picture of mine, that little nub in the picture is the end of the hose, I poured water into the vent and it drains
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2019, 09:47 AM   #15

I finally gave up looking for the drain hose, just not visible from where I can see. I poured a small amount of water down the drain and it flowed out onto the workshop floor so my concerns, based on the original post, are relieved.

Surprisingly, the water came out by the frame adjacent to the left rear tire. That means the hose must be routed from the refrigerator compartment drain hole back toward the rear tire rather than straight inward to come out between the tires (that would be the shortest route).

I suspect that ETI cut the drain hose close to or even above the lowest level of the foam insulation because I could not locate it by feel and did not want to crawl around any more since I determined the drain was functional.

As others have mentioned, it will likely be worth my effort to locate it later and put a screen on the end but for now the trailer is put to bed for the winter so I will add this to the spring chore list.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:59 AM   #16

You can always put a screen over the top part in the refer compartment,....
Old 10-28-2019, 08:39 PM   #17

Trailer: 505 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanLewis View Post
... I did contact ETI regarding this issue, suggesting that they review their procedures to determine whether this was/is unique to our trailer or is part of a systemic problem with the spray foam insulation install. Dustin (in ETI Parts & Service) responded "I can assure you that this must have been a one off." I have no reason to doubt this assertion, but I would suggest that anyone with the under body insulation option might want to check.

It is looking like a "two off"... I got under there today for a quick look. No drain pipe to be found. I'll try pouring water down the drain this weekend to see if I missed it somehow.

(BTW, not related but the condensation drain tube seems to be missing on mine. Opened the vent cover to see where the drain started to get a reference point... and no drain tube from above It is looking like I'll get to know the back of the fridge this weekend... )
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
It is looking like a "two off"... I got under there today for a quick look. No drain pipe to be found. I'll try pouring water down the drain this weekend to see if I missed it somehow.
Maybe they thought it's so dry in New Mexico that we don't need no stinking drain.

Old 10-28-2019, 11:34 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My Dometic 2510 has no drain tube. It has a tray under the fins. I have to empty it if I defrost the fridge.

So, in tracking down your drain tube, it would be helpful to know the fridge model. Perhaps there is more than one way of dealing with drains.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:20 AM   #20

I thought that drain was there also for propane leaks, so if your unit runs off propane there should be a drain in the rear for leaks as well as condensate. My hose more or less goes straight down, perhaps a thin wire may pin point its exit?