roof / UV / 303 H20 soluble / Meguiars M5001/ hiring someone - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2017, 01:07 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
About block n seal.....since we are rv's and not planes, Davis do you think a person could buy just part one or two and not both to save on the cost yet get the UV protection? A quart is a good price compared to 14.99 bottle of 303 at my auto parts store. Thanks in advance
Each bottle is $35.00, $59.00 for both. Yes, you can buy each. I linked it because it has a discussion of what UV can do to the gelcoat finish but I'm not sure I would use it over a good boat polish. The biggest selling point for glider owners is/was that it doesn't contain any silicone.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:12 PM   #42

Trailer: 17
I was curious if a person could get away with one part of their two part system to save money, but still retain the UV protection benefits. If so which part would that be part 1 or 2? If any of your aircraft friends know let us know. Thanks.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:35 PM   #43

Most people who use both the seal and block are those who have sailplanes with gelcoat finishes. Most sailplanes built in the last 20 years have the gelcoat sanded off and a polyurethane acrylic sprayed on as a factory supplied option. It is a $3000.00 or more option from the factory but can easily be a $20,000. repair after 15 years of use. Sailplanes are flexible and gelcoat is very brittle, also temperature extremes are common as the temperature decreases almost 5 deg. F every thousand ft of altitude. It looks scary to see a sailplane with gelcoat cracks but the fiberglass structure is still strong, you just can't tell if a given crack is penetrating into the fiberglass so you need a lot of faith.

I never used the seal because of the polyurethane finish but I have used it after cleaning up an old neglected trailer. I had to buff off a lot of lichen so afterwards I used the seal and then the wax block. I still have most of the quart of seal left so I will use it as a first time surface prep and then use the wax block (part 2) frequently. The wax block also works well getting the bug splatter off the wing leading edges so it should also work well on the front of the trailer. Not sure I would bother to buy the seal for use on a new trailer.

At least it is formulated for use on gelcoat surfaces, which are porous and I doubt it is any better than a good marine polish for gelcoat, I just have some left over and will continue to use it.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:36 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Rich, what I'm trying to say (inarticulately) is that the gelcoat itself won't really be harmed by UV. A quality polish once or twice a year and it will look great for many years to come. Polymer polishes won't break down and oxidize or haze the gelcoat like waxes and petroleum based products can.

Plastic vents and colored vinyl graphics on the other hand will deteriorate rapidly in high UV areas, unless periodically protected with a UV blocking treatment like 303. I've now used 303 for two decades, and it works.

So, put simply, a quality polymer polish on the gelcoat, and a UV blocking protectant on the rest.
Thanks everyone for all the really great info on this thread....... been following along, and learning...

I have some Starbrite on order.... based on numerous recommendations both on this thread, and other threads

Got a big jug of 303 and i'll use it too..

perhaps I'll "man up" so to speak and actually do the job myself!?

I own a bunch of lint free microfiber cloths i bought off amazon.... are those OK to apply the Starbrite, then a clean one to polish off? all by hand?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009FUFBTG

I'm afraid to put any power tool anywhere near the basically brand new 2017 21' we have...

best to all,

John
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:42 PM   #45

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Starbrite is very easy to apply, you'll see. It is not however cleaner if you have oxidation. You can always try it on an area and see if you are happy with the results. I use a sponge to put it on, the microfibers will be fine to take it off.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s...&wl13=&veh=sem

These happen to be Mequiar's but I use whatever the store I stop at carries.

They make terry cloth ones too that would do the job.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:49 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post

I own a bunch of lint free microfiber cloths i bought off amazon.... are those OK to apply the Starbrite, then a clean one to polish off? all by hand?

John
I save my old cotton t-shirts for use with waxing. (washed of course) It always bothered me to see new microfiber towels after they were used to wax sailplanes and trailers because they can't be easily cleaned and/or used to clean other stuff after getting wax on them. Still in the sailplane club people didn't like using other peoples' old underwear so they used the microfiber towels and then threw them away. It isn't creepy if I am using my own. The lint free doesn't seem like an advantage when waxing.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:35 PM   #47
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Bob and Steve's suggestions will work fine. As for the how to apply, in the nooks and crannies I do it by hand, but for larger areas I like to use my Porter Cable random orbit polisher. Much quicker. Don't worry about the fact that it's a power tool. You can raise or lower the RPM, and it's random orbit, which pretty much eliminates the chances of "burning" or "swirling" the surface.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:08 PM   #48

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Ease of Use

You guys have covered this topic very well, especially the UV ray issue. Thank-You very much!
We've only had our 21 for a year, but last year I applied two coats of Meguires Gold Class Liquid with Carnauba. I found it very easy to apply by hand and very easy to wipe off by hand. It goes on like butter.
This time, I wanted to provide a little UV protection. I first looked at Meguires Flagship Marine Liquid wax, because I had such an easy experience with the Gold Class. But, the label describes, 'effective on light oxidation'. For that reason, I went with 3M Scotchgard Marine Liquid Wax, as it describes, 'Protection Only'. Oxidation is not mentioned in the description.
I waxed our 21 this morning. I applied over the entire Fiberglass surface in full sun. I then removed it with a clean terry cloth towel. Took about 3 1/2 hours. I have to say, the 3M is equal to the Meguires in ease of application and removal. A thin coat goes on easy and wipes off easy. Both provide a very shiny finish.
I have never used Starbrite or Bow to Stern, so I cannot compare them, but if you are able to wax yourself, I would not shy away from Meguires or 3M. Both are very easy to use!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:29 PM   #49

Beads

One of the downsides to a good ,UV protected, Marine Wax, like 3M, is the millions of beads that show up when you wash it. After washing today, it took me three (3) plush towels to dry. And, that includes multiple wringings! The price I pay for a good looking rig!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0426.jpg  

Old 06-30-2017, 09:34 PM   #50

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Our 21 is almost 3 yeas old. I have faithfully waxed it at least 2 times/year. Currently am detailing the exterior and the roof hasn't been easy. First, had to get rid of the random small reddish spots that looked like someone took a finger with a pin prick. Only thing that would work was bleach. Found out what it was after a bird landed and left it's residue.

After that it was time to get to work with Meguiars #50 cleaner wax and found it took on average three applications to fully cut through the oxidation. Now will add another two coats of Meguiars Marine wax. Might get a cover, however we go out so much am not sure it would make that much difference. Doing research it seems gel coat is pretty tough and can take some polishing with a rotary tool. Anyways, mine looks near new now, while my neighbors Lance, same age look's much older and sides are chalky.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:11 PM   #51

That's right, Ross! A clean and shiny Escape is Breathtaking!

Old 07-01-2017, 04:45 AM   #52

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Ross, if you go for a cover...

The Tyvek Adco was easy to put on and take off, I did it fairly often. The much heavier and bulkier Calmark not so much.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:35 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Ross, if you go for a cover...

The Tyvek Adco was easy to put on and take off, I did it fairly often. The much heavier and bulkier Calmark not so much.
what size Tyvek Adco fits a 2017 21?

or are they custom made?

thanks.

john
Old 09-17-2017, 11:36 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
John you shouldn't have any need to buff a trailer that is the age yours is. Buffing also risks damage if done incorrectly, and sounds like someone is padding the bill. I'd also move on from anyone who wasn't going to do the roof.
Our 19 is getting semi annual wash wax this week and we use Meguiars Premium Marine wax so can't speak to the other one, but this product is fantastic.
The Meguiars will last about 18 months but I apply it every 6. 303 on plastic will not last that long. I'd reapply it every three months.
Hey Greg A..... here we are in September.... Escape is stil uncovered (havent finished the sun shade sail 10' x 30' project yet) and still isn't waxed.

my question is.... given that it was born Dec 2016..... still no need to buff? I would assume at 9 months old, still no need for buffing, correct?

and as an aside - my plan is - this fall when I'm hopfully installing the shade sail, i'll have to move the escape then, and at that time, i'll have the RV wax guy come and wash and wax it all, including the roof. ($300 for about 6-ish hours work he says. I'm OK with that)