Spare - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2019, 06:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Spare

Well, I wasn't expecting that.
Decided I'd better top up my tires, including the spare.

But, neither of my 12V compressors would run on any of my 12V outlets.
Pulled the bed apart, found a dead 15 amp fuse and replaced it ( at least I had spares on hand ). I suspect it was blown when the Maxxfan wiring was fixed.
Topped up the running tires and turned my attention to the spare. I think I've had the cover off once in ten years. Took me twenty minutes, two screwdrivers and a pry bar to remove it. It seemed fused to itself, the garbage bag that covers the tire and the bumper.

Topped up the tire ( it was at 20 lbs ).

The cover is not going back on. It's rather thrashed anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Spare tire cover.jpg  
Old 08-03-2019, 07:02 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I take my spare inside the garage during snow months since use is limited those 3 months.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I rotate my spare in service every 6,000 miles or so. It’s held on the three lugs with 3 of the “tamper proof “ lug nuts that need the special socket to loosen. I have 5 matching tires and wheels. I take the tire cover off and dry it when it gets wet and I get home so it does not get funky at the bottom with trapped water and dirt. I think the tread depth gauge is an essential part of tire inspection along with the tire pressure gauge. I inspect the ties after each trip looking for nails, or tacks, rocks, little pieces of glass etc. I flick them out with a dull ice pick. I haven’t found a nail in an Escape tire yet but I have found them in tow vehicle tires before they worked in far enough to cause a leak. I run my tires at 3 or 4 psi below the max. I have a set of tire covers I use when parked for any length of time outside if I remember them. At home the Escape stays in its own garage that Rita had built for it. When i get done with a tire inspection I reward myself with a cold beer. When I rotate the tires it’s two beers. My dad taught me all about tires and drinking.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-03-2019, 08:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I rotate my spare in service every 6,000 miles or so. It’s held on the three lugs with 3 of the “tamper proof “ lug nuts that need the special socket to loosen. I have 5 matching tires and wheels. I take the tire cover off and dry it when it gets wet and I get home so it does not get funky at the bottom with trapped water and dirt. I think the tread depth gauge is an essential part of tire inspection along with the tire pressure gauge. I inspect the ties after each trip looking for nails, or tacks, rocks, little pieces of glass etc. I flick them out with a dull ice pick. Then I reward myself with a cold beer. When I rotate tires I have two beers. My dad taught me all about tires and drinking. I run my tires at 3 or 4 psi below the max. I have a set of tire covers I use when parked for any length of time outside if I remember them. At home the Escape stays in its own garage that Rita had built for it.
Iowa Dave
So Dave when you had both 19 and 21 did you have four beers when rotating the 10 tires, and how did the rotating go after four
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:37 PM   #5

I use the DOT liquor consumption calculator to make sure I’m legal to drive. If I can keep my weight up, I can drink 6 in an hour and stay under .08. You’ll notice I said reward after the work so it goes ok as long as my ADHD don’t kick in. Peroni tonight!
Iowa Dave
Old 08-03-2019, 08:59 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
I use the DOT liquor consumption calculator to make sure I’m legal to drive. If I can keep my weight up, I can drink 6 in an hour and stay under .08. You’ll notice I said reward after the work so it goes ok as long as my ADHD don’t kick in. Peroni tonight!
Iowa Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... Back from NFLD but not quite home yet. I have CDO. That's Obsessive Compulsive Disorder... but in alphabetical order. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:32 PM   #7

Medicine

Beer will fix that if you drink enough. What is it ? yeungling light ale or what? I can’t
Remember
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Beer will fix that if you drink enough. What is it ? yeungling light ale or what? I can’t
Remember
Iowa Dave
That is it, I always try to take some to Niagara, not this year but I'm trying to send some with a neighbor who will be going...Telescopist is his name.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Remember
Iowa Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... Been drinking 20,000 year old "Iceberg" water, made into beer. That's why there aren't so many "Bergs" left!!! It's made by Quidi Vidi Brewery in St. Johns NFLD. Even that isn't enough to cure my CDO compulsion.
They have the same 2 seasons in NFLD. Winter and construction, but there was still snow in some nooks and crannies to shorten the construction season.
Came upon a couple of young "Moose's" having lunch near the "Moose lodge". Glad they split and ran the other way and not in front of us!!!
Ate lots of "Cod tongues" and fries... here they are to die for even without gravy and cheese curds.
Most folks don't have enough soil to garden at home, so if they find a flat patch along the "Ahem" highway they fence it off and plant potatoes there.
Lots more stories to tell... just can't remember them now. Alf
Old 08-04-2019, 07:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That is it, I always try to take some to Niagara, not this year but I'm trying to send some with a neighbor who will be going...Telescopist is his name.
Hi: cpaharley2008... Thanks... All donations gratefully accepted specially beer. Not sure what response to my requests for "Swag merch" will have from ETI. So far it's been silence from Tammy. "Times they are a changin'." Alf
Old 08-04-2019, 07:36 AM   #11

Can’t wait to hear some stories. I will have Rita bring a big new bandana i got for helping build a playground and have her use it across my mouth so I don’t interrupt. I’ll stop for beer in Fort Wayne the day before. No icebergs, just an icy stare once in a while that can freeze you in your tracks.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-04-2019, 07:40 AM   #12

Sometimes you just have to go with the flow
As Dylan said. “ and those who are first may later be last and you’d better be runnin or you’ll sink like a stone”
Got too much stuff now. Been giving some away.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-04-2019, 07:40 AM   #13

No icebergs, just an icy stare once in a while that can freeze you in your tracks.

Reminds me of that country song, "If you want to keep your beer cold, hold it next to my ex-wife's heart"......
Old 08-04-2019, 08:22 AM   #14

Wasn’t that the flip side of She’s only a moonshiners daughter but I loved her still?
Iowa Dave
Old 08-04-2019, 10:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Wasn’t that the flip side of She’s only a moonshiners daughter but I loved her still?
Iowa Dave
Good one there Dave.....you can always do stand up comedy when you stop camping....
Old 08-04-2019, 12:17 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Sorry Glenn I sent your thread astray when asking Dave about beer - that's always a mistake, to ask Dave about beer

Alf wish we could be at Niagara to hear your NF stories. We won't even make the Mississippi rally this year as we're doing Inyan in SD and a small rally in MN end of Aug. into Sept. and won't be able to travel again until December.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 02:39 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Nothing wrong with beer.
Old 08-04-2019, 02:41 PM   #18
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
A quick thanks to the OP for this thread on your spare tire and to the others who shared their spare tire practices. Good to know! Must admit, we never gave much thought to our previous spare tires before. Thankfully we never needed to use them but now we will pay more attention to it. Thanks....and for the fun rabbit trail...will never grow tired of lighthearted humor...Cheers!
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 03:09 PM   #19

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
A quick thanks to the OP for this thread on your spare tire and to the others who shared their spare tire practices. Good to know! Must admit, we never gave much thought to our previous spare tires before. Thankfully we never needed to use them but now we will pay more attention to it. Thanks....and for the fun rabbit trail...will never grow tired of lighthearted humor...Cheers!
I like the ETI logo spare tire cover and bought an extra one to put away for when the original eventually wears out. I put a plain white one on the spare when we store the trailer, the Texas sun is brutal on stuff like that.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Hi: Bea... That's why I like carrying my spare tire around my waist where I can't overlook it!!! Alf