Spare Tire Cover Rusting tire Rim - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
On a warm, dry day, put a plastic trash bag over the spare. Twist the bottom of the bag as tight as you can around the spare's mount post to seal it, then install the spare cover. Dry inside no matter what.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Does anyone know if that tire prep that's supposed to prevent UV damage... work? In my forward looking plans, I like this look.. but AM concerned about UV damage.
Attached Thumbnails
1954Ford-TweetyCasita.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #23

Hey,

Since everyone was talking about the tire cover rusting the spare I pulled the cover today while washing the Trailer, yes there were some rust spots nothing major cleaned them right up. I also noticed rust starting on the threads for the 3 nuts holding it on. I pulled them and walked some Loctite Marine Grade Anti-Seize - Henkel any type of water/heat proof screw jack grease will work though and sprayed the wheel with Fluid Film Rust and Corrosion Protection Aerosol : Amazon.com : Automotive which we use on vehicle frames and such in Maine so it should keep it from rusting further. I am going to change the tire cover over to one of these New 26 3/4" Diameter Molded Spare Tire Cover For RVs Trailers White For 14" Tire on eBay! with water drain holes drilled in the bottom and graphics :}.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape
We trimmed the overlap off the bottom of the Escape spare tire cover and it did not retain water after the last .5" rain. The sides of the tire cover just contact each other at the bottom now.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Does anyone know if that tire prep that's supposed to prevent UV damage... work? In my forward looking plans, I like this look.. but AM concerned about UV damage.
And all this time I thought you looked like your icon picture!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Thoer, I look like neither!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote