Stinky Tank - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2017, 09:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Stinky Tank

Didn't dump after our last trip as the tanks weren't full. Started getting a really smelly trailer.
Just figured it was the black tank and past due dump time. Dumped the tanks today and black tank seemed normal during dump Opened the grey tank valve and OMG what a stench. Filled and flushed both tanks about 3 times each and trailer smells lovely again.
I don't know what got into that Grey tank and don't want to, but it needed a major flush out.
I guess smelly tanks aren't always the Black one.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:22 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Yep, sometimes the mildew from dirty water smells worse than the black tank. Another factor is that many people treat the black tank but not the gray. Best to always dump the gray if the trailer is going to sit for awhile unused, and run some water to rinse as well.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:09 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Didn't dump after our last trip as the tanks weren't full. Started getting a really smelly trailer.
Just figured it was the black tank and past due dump time. Dumped the tanks today and black tank seemed normal during dump Opened the grey tank valve and OMG what a stench. Filled and flushed both tanks about 3 times each and trailer smells lovely again.
I don't know what got into that Grey tank and don't want to, but it needed a major flush out.
I guess smelly tanks aren't always the Black one.
Hi Greg yes the grey can really stink . Twice I have had to remove the plumbling under the kitchen sink and clean that out, because just dumping didn't do it. We do use grey water chemicals too . Never had this problem before . I think dirty water is sitting in the plumbing . And since not enough water is going down the drain and flushing it out enough . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:21 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Twice I have had to remove the plumbling under the kitchen sink and clean that out, because just dumping didn't do it. t
Mr. Plumber or Drano didn't handle cleaning out the drain?
Old 07-05-2017, 01:39 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
TankTechsRX | Totally Green, Totally Clean!

Why Add TankTechs Rx to the Galley Tank?
Galley tank odors have ruined more RVing activities than the black tanks ever do. After cleaning thousands of holding tanks from across the nation, TankTechs.com has learned that the most frequent source of offensive odor in an RV is the galley/gray Tank. Galley tanks are the perfect environment for grease and mold growth as well as E. coli bacteria.

Galley tanks typically are vented under the sink with a special cap to prevent tank gases from entering the RV. Nothing stops the gases from entering the coach through dry sink or shower traps. The industry recognizes this issue and is experimenting with new collapsible sink traps to stop the odor backflow. Not only are the odors offensive and annoying, but mold odor can be dangerous.

TankTechs.com, the originator of TankTechs Rx, strongly recommends that galley tanks be treated, especially in motor homes while traveling. An open window can create a vacuum in the tank and pull the gases out of the tank to the open window, filling the coach. PLEA FROM TankTechs Rx TO MOTOR HOME OWNERS: Even if you leave your galley tank open when camping with full hook ups, ALWAYS TRAVEL WITH ENOUGH WATER IN THE GALLEY TANK TO KEEP THE BOTTOM WET AND TankTechs Rx IN THE TANK TO COMBAT THE MOLD AND ODORS. It will clean as you go, keep you safe and get the tank ready for the next stop!

Don’t take our word for it. See what Pete has to say about gray tank odors by clicking HERE
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:22 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I've bled off some gray water when boondocking and it really stinks if it has sat in the tank for a few days. Another item related to odors that many people don't realize is having the tank dump valves open when connected to a sewer hook-up with the thought that they don't need to worry about the level of their tanks. The problem is two-fold: it doesn't allow the best flow of solid waste (black tank) and it also allows sewer gases from the system to enter into the tanks and then the trailer. Happened to me on a recent trip.

From the ETI Owner's Manual:
"The dump valves should remain closed even if connected to an exterior sewer hook-up. For proper dumping, empty tanks only when they are nearly full. The idea is to send a large volume of water through the tanks and hose at the same time to assist the solid waste in flushing from the system. Otherwise solids may build up and harden inside tank."

"After the sewage tank has been emptied, close the gate valves and put approximately 2 litres of water in the sewage (black water) holding tank. This will help prevent solids from building up. The addition of a deodorizing agent like Aqua-Kem® will help prevent odors."

rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:40 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Good info, thanks to all. I'll be putting some maintenance steps on the Grey tank as well.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:58 AM   #8

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
... "After the sewage tank has been emptied, close the gate valves and put approximately 2 litres of water in the sewage (black water) holding tank. This will help prevent solids from building up. The addition of a deodorizing agent like Aqua-Kem® will help prevent odors."
I'll be curious to re-read the owner's manual for our new 21' to see if it differs, but "2 litres of water" would quickly disappear down the drain pipe of our black water tank and be of little to no use. As discussed in another recent thread, from both mathematical calculation and personal experience of owners, it takes around 3 gallons of water to fill the drain pipe and get about 1" of standing water on the bottom of the rather large sewage tank and drain.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:42 PM   #9

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
Why Add TankTechs Rx to the Galley Tank?(snip)
A friend of mine with a motorhome recommended that I get this stuff. Since I've not used anything else, I can't compare, but she's used lots of different brands over the years, so I went with her recommendation.

And yeah, I *always* add it to both my grey and black tanks.

Easy to purchase via Amazon.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:23 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
I'll be curious to re-read the owner's manual for our new 21' to see if it differs, but "2 litres of water" would quickly disappear down the drain pipe of our black water tank and be of little to no use. As discussed in another recent thread, from both mathematical calculation and personal experience of owners, it takes around 3 gallons of water to fill the drain pipe and get about 1" of standing water on the bottom of the rather large sewage tank and drain.
Good point. The owner's manual (at least the one posted on the ETI website) is written somewhat generically. Even on the 19 a half gallon is likely just sitting in the drain pipe. The general intent is there in the manual, but the instructions might need some slight tweaking based on particular circumstances, model, etc.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:52 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21"
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
A friend of mine with a motorhome recommended that I get this stuff. Since I've not used anything else, I can't compare, but she's used lots of different brands over the years, so I went with her recommendation.

And yeah, I *always* add it to both my grey and black tanks.

Easy to purchase via Amazon.
How do you add to grey tank? Pour down sink?
mcovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:40 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcovey View Post
How do you add to grey tank? Pour down sink?
Yes. Toilet = black, Sink = gray.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:09 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yes. Toilet = black, Sink = gray.
If you use the TankTechsRX also pour a little down the shower drain. It is a microbial product and you want it to quickly colonize the entire length of the grey tank. Also understand that chlorine, lysol and other disinfectants will also kill the TankTechsRX product. I use lysol wipes to clean the toilet and kitchen counters and then put them into the trash.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:29 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
The last time TankTechsRX was discussed here I went to that site and watched a couple of their videos. My conclusion (YMMV) was that it is designed for large motorhome tanks, and for folks who are at least close to full time and spending a lot of time in one place.

At least for our type of travel, with moving from place to place fairly often, I don't see how "struvite" is going to have a change to build up and I question if our frequently emptied tank could sustain their biological method.

I'll be curious to hear how it works for other Escapees.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote