Storing an Escape: Trailer Cover vs. Storage - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2018, 07:49 PM   #1

Trailer: Hopefull future Escapee 5.0
Question Storing an Escape: Trailer Cover vs. Storage

We are doing our research on the Escape and wanted to get advice from current owners regarding storing their Escape. Unfortunately, we are not able to store our Escape where we currently live, so that would necessitate us paying to store the 5.0 when we are not using it. What are current owners thoughts on storing it under the trailer cover offered by Escape vs. paying to have it stored under a covered building. We will be opting for the solar and do not know if this would cause problems with the available covers. Understandably having it stored in a building would be best, but we wanted to see if people had any problems with this. It is probably around $150 a month difference. Hopefully in a few years when the kids are out of school this won’t be a problem.

Thanks in advance for any advise.
Sabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:22 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
First consider this most travel trailers are not an investment, but I think an Escape is so the better condition it is kept in the better investment you made.

Outside is outside even with a storage cover, you could still deal with critters chewing wires and or bugs and spiders making a home where ever they can. Even with the covers UV rays are strong and will cause ware.

Could you find open shed storage that has a roof at least? Maybe this would be a less expensive option and if I went this way see if you can find a place where always in shade. Plus if you do this I would skip a cover all together.

Of course the other option of fully enclosed storage or garage would always be best, again if you think about your Escape as an investment then you have to decide how much you want to spend to protect that investment.
I'm lucky because I rent a 30,000 square foot building for my business and our Escape is stored in the warehouse but already have plans that when we move to our 2nd home a storage garage will be build just for the Escape.

Safe and enjoyable travels to all,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:29 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I always thought that not having to uncover and take it out of storage encouraged more use. We try to use ours at least once a month, year round. But to answer your question, solar will keep your batteries charged, even thru some covers or outside. If you get the foam spray underneath, most places for rodent entrances have been covered. That should address those concerns.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:46 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Yes that could be true but CP I understand you get a new Escape when you run out of propane so if you are going camping every weekend you must just break them in when you place an order for a new one.

Safe and enjoyable travels to all,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:43 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
We like our cover

We are storing our 17 outside (2000 foot elevation in California Sierra) using Escape's cover. It fits great; not too much of a hassle to put on and off despite two extra antennas ETI custom installed. I only expect it to last three or four years.
Jonathan
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:48 AM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I don’t like covers

My 2007 17B came with a cover, the top radius’s on the front and back look a little worn and there a few other spots that lost thier shine. I believe due to the wear pattern, it was from a cover blowing in the wind.

For years I left my 77 Trillium outside at the storage yard and it was fine. Likely leaving the 5.0 outside will do it no harm. For the cost of $150 a month, I would park it year around at a local campground and get some more use out of it.

Tags
cover, storage