Top Lock on Escape 17b Malfunction- Won't Unlock - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-06-2022, 08:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape
Top Lock on Escape 17b Malfunction- Won't Unlock

My top lock on 17b will not unlock . I never lock it except from the inside at night due to previous issues with it. So I suspect some mechanical problem with the handle accessed from inside . It happened once before when we were camping and it eventually worked free and opened, although one of my keys was bent and no longer works. Thankfully, it's parked at the house now for an upcoming trip. Anyone ever had this issue ? I can never get anyone on the phone at Escape. Last time I called and left a message that I was at a service center and the tech there needed to ask them one question, a five minute issue. I got a call back from Escape about two weeks later. So, no help there ! Any advice appreciated.
USMCJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 08:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I am not sure if your lock is different from the ones Escape used in 2010 and 2013 but I can tell you that those could “stick” too. If you carefully remove the four interior screws from the lock you will see two additional flat head machine screws. They are screwed into the plastic That has threaded holes for them. Use your screwdriver to tighten them up if they are loose. Then use a “dry” lubricant like Tri-Flow to lightly lube all of the moving or sliding surfaces inside the lock and put it back in the door and evenly tighten down the screws but don’t overdo it. Just snug. Then lube the sliding dead bolt and the tapered latch that has to slide back when the door is pushed against the strike plate. Make sure the two screws in the strike plate are tight too. This style of lock is called a paddle slam latch and in a little different form is commonly used on service truck tool boxes. I’d recommend a little more careful treatment on these latches than slamming the door. Try that. You can get extra keys made at a locksmith shop. However, be aware that there is a very limited selection of key cuts for these locks. Meaning maybe my key or someone else’s key might work on your lock. If this bothers you, there are combination type keypad locks that will fit the escape door lock cutout. I do not have one but many folks on this forum do and can tell you how to most economically purchase one.
Hope this helps
Iowa Dave
Old 10-06-2022, 09:02 PM   #3

Thank you for the note Dave. My problem is that the door lock won't let me in to get to the lock's parts. I guess I'll call a locksmith in the morning.

Jim
Old 10-06-2022, 09:13 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Some folks have removed the screws from the hinges and accessed the trailer that way. Again, I don’t know if this is still possible. Make sure if your trailer is “set up” to camp that your stabilizer jacks aren’t down so tight that the trailer is slightly “racked” as that could put your
door and lock in a “bayou”. As my forestry guys used to say when the chainsaw bar got pinched.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-06-2022, 10:15 PM   #5

Dave

Thanks Again. I'll explore the potential of it being compressed by my leveling of the unit.

Jim