Torque Wrench & Socket Idea? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2015, 10:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21'
Torque Wrench & Socket Idea?

Anyone have any ideas on a good torque wrench for the trailer tires? I've been looking at this one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Overkill?
Maury&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Maury:
I never owned a torque wrench, always borrowed one until we got the Escape. I like a click stop wrench as long as this one holds up and is reasonably accurate you really don't use them all that often like a mechanic who is torquing nuts every day. You can spend a lot more on a
Wrench, none of them take a Lot of abuse. You need to loosen nuts with a socket and breaker bar or equivalent, not the torque wrench. If you don't like it, take it back, that's my take.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
I sorta lean towards Sears Craftsman. Usually on sale and can always be returned if/when broken.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:37 AM   #4

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
I sorta lean towards Sears Craftsman. Usually on sale and can always be returned if/when broken.
I like craftsman too but be carful. The craftsman lifetime warranty doesn't apply to everything anymore. Looks like some torque wrenches are covered forever, some for 1year, some for only 90 days. I can't post a pick from my iPad so here's a link to the warranty page.

Warranty Information - Craftsman

Also as the OleMan says, some are on sale now.
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:50 AM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Nothing wrong with the one you show, good enough for your purpose. And no, it's not overkill. Here's the same one at HD, priced the same when on sale. No complaints there either.

TEKTON 1/2 in. Drive Click Torque Wrench-24335 - The Home Depot
Old 12-06-2015, 05:15 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrules View Post
I like craftsman too but be carful. The craftsman lifetime warranty doesn't apply to everything anymore. Looks like some torque wrenches are covered forever, some for 1year, some for only 90 days. I can't post a pick from my iPad so here's a link to the warranty page.

Warranty Information - Craftsman

Also as the OleMan says, some are on sale now.
The last time I was in Sears I noted that Craftsman sickets (and presumably other Craftsman tools) are no longer being manufactured in North America. Guess I don't have to say where they are now made but I wouldn't be surprised if the "lifetime" warranty gets revised or disappears altogether.

I carry a torque wrench that I purchased at Walmart, @ $30, which I use for lug nuts when traveling, and I have checked its performance with a much more expensive torque wrench and the inexpensive one is close enough to insure proper torque.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:17 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Harbor Freight sells a lot of junk tools. They also sell Pittsburgh-brand torque wrenches. Car Craft Magazine has given them a thumbs up.... "Impressive Accuracy... amazing value." On sale, I bought a 1/2" drive for $9.99. For something used a couple of times a year, I'm happy.

It's on sale again with a coupon! http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-hal...D%0AOCJ9%0D%0A
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:12 AM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
I started buying Kobalt tools from Lowes. I'm planning on buying their torque wrench because of the generous warranty.

Shop Kobalt 1/2-in Drive Click 50-ft-lbs - 250-ft-lbs Torque Wrench at Lowes.com
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:09 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
While I have a good large torque wrench at home, no way am I bringing that along in the trailer. I do carry a regular 1/2" ratchet, and often bring along my electronic torque adaptor, a combination much lighter and easier to store.

That said, I rarely carry either, other than the first trip after the tires get remounted, just as a check after a while. I very rarely find a lug nut has lessoned at all, let alone to a critical degree. I can pretty much tell with a wrench that I have adequate torque, if you are off by a good 10 ft lbs either way, the is no problem.

How many people actually check the torque on all your cars and trucks after wheel changes? They are no different than our trailer tires, and it is recommended to check torques on them to. Yet, many worry only about our trailers for some reason.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:30 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
While I've got a nice torque wrench at home, my calibrated biceps and a breaker bar seem adequate for the road.

I already carry too much stuff.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:35 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
I bought a craftsmen for my 5.0 TA, if failed after about 6-months. Sears did not cover it. Read the fine print, its only covered for 90 days. I've since bought a Kobalt clicker, a much better tool than the Craftsmen.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:39 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Harbor Freight sells a lot of junk tools. They also sell Pittsburgh-brand torque wrenches. Car Craft Magazine has given them a thumbs up.... "Impressive Accuracy... amazing value." On sale, I bought a 1/2" drive for $9.99. For something used a couple of times a year, I'm happy.

It's on sale again with a coupon! 1/2" Torque Wrench
When I worked on my vehicles and used my mechanic tools all the time, I bought only high quality tools. But for a torque wrench to leave in the truck , I bought one of these at Harbor Freight on sale. Whether it would hold up to daily use is questionable, but as Donna says, for something used a couple of times of year, I'm more than satisfied with it.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:39 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Crapsman tools are really not worth buying, especially for us who use them working at all. Sure, most of their tools have a great warranty, either replacement or repair, but when you have to spend an hour or so fairly often to deal with it, they totally lose an value gained in the price.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:25 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
How can a torque wrench that costs $10.00 have any accuracy to it? Might be OK for wheels but not for engine heads. I have a Mac torque wrench that cost over $250.00 years ago and will spend more than that to have it recalibrated.

I torque the wheels on all of my vehicles and the worst offenders are these tire shops and garages the chop on wheels with an air impact and call themselves done. Sometimes next to impossible to get off if you need to change a flat on the road, even with a breaker bar. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:37 AM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Tire Bozos

Right- you have to ask them to hand torque, which they will do, maybe with a remark about how you'll have to wait a little longer. Those chrome nuts on the alloy wheels are kind of soft and an air wrench will nick them. Happened only once on one wheel when dealing with the brake lock-up. Learned my lesson; watch them like a hawk
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:52 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My son-in-law has my torque wrench.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:57 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My son-in-law has my torque wrench.
At least you know where it is then!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #18

Trailer: 2016 21'
Thanks for all this great info! I feel like I'm in a shop listening to mechanics talk.
Maury&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:22 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Bet most have read at least one edition of Popular Mechanics....either that or Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:36 AM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I did as Donna D suggested and bought the Harbor Freight torque wrench but for $14.99.
It rides in my tool tub in the back of my truck. I have a tendancy to overtighten things and the torque wrench. helps me control my problem.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
torque wrench