Trailer Cover - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2017, 01:14 PM   #21

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
I have a question about covers and condensation/moisture inside the camper. Over the winter, we kept the Maxx fan cracked and also the Kitchen window cracked, to allow airflow, and we had zero issues with moisture or mold or anything like that (we did the same thing during the late summer and fall that we had it last year and had no issues). Would putting a cover on ours still allow us to get enough airflow to prevent issues?
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:37 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We caused a tear in our cover's Tyvek sidewall the first time we put it on by tightening it against an edge of the steps without noticing the problem. Duct tape patch took care of it. Just so you know to be careful. This winter the trailer was covered about 6 months. If it lasts 2 more years it will have provided 4 x 6 or 24 months protection and saved a lot of elbow grease. To access the trailer while covered it takes me about 5 minutes, most of it on my knees or side, to release the front 3 ties under the trailer. Doing it back up takes me about 10 minutes. I use a hand extension device (gripper) to make reaching for the ties easier.

I m sure you won't regret getting a cover, and hopefully the Elite (similar to Adco) lasts for you too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:17 AM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
GregandTeresa I only know what worked for me in the Pacific North Wet. With our past trailer in this wet environment, keeping air flowing through open windows did not prevent green/black growth in the open fridge and a few other surfaces. But that was without a cover. Our Escape has been covered for two long winters, but sealed up with a low wattage heater/fan unit 75W) plus a container with desiccant salt. Even with the heater the desiccant needed changing about every 2 months. But there was zero mold in the trailer and not even a hint of moldy smell. This may not be necessary in a different climate.
Bob K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:48 AM   #24

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I use an electric de humidifier - leaving my windows open doesn't work for me when stored over the winter
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:37 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Glad to see this cover discussion!

Our 19 could be ready for us within the reasonable camping season (originally slated for Nov 31, but moving up!), so we are getting ready. Heading to an RV show near our location today. Trailer covers, dehumidifiers, mirror extensions for the F150, we will be looking hard at all kinds of stuff.
With regard to the cover size, what measurement do you use as a reference? the 19 seems to have a cabin that is approx 16', but is a little over 19' in total length.
Living where we do, Nanaimo BC, we get mostly mild weather, but things that grow well in the moisture love it here. On top of that, there is a big cedar tree next to the intended parking spot for the trailer. So for us, it will be about rain, wind, and "natural environmental debris" that we will be focusing on. When we do get snow, it is wet and heavy, like this year.
We'll be watching for the brands you all mentioned.
Brookfielder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:50 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You may want to hold off on some of these items until delivery. With my truck I had extensions to tow my 21, but could remove them for my 19 Escape. So your truck mirrors maybe fine with the stock items. I believe my cover was bought on Ebay from EliteMotorOnLine covers and I bought one for a 16 Casita and it worked on the 19 Escape.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:09 AM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Trailer covers, wind and gel coat trailers are natural enemies. If the wind doesn't destroy the cover, the cover will chaff the trailer. Rather than a full cover which has a tendency to bloom out in the wind, maybe just a tarp that you can cinch down tightly to cover the top?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:09 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You may want to hold off on some of these items until delivery. With my truck I had extensions to tow my 21, but could remove them for my 19 Escape. So your truck mirrors maybe fine with the stock items. I believe my cover was bought on Ebay from EliteMotorOnLine covers and I bought one for a 16 Casita and it worked on the 19 Escape.
Yeah, don't want to jump the gun and buy a bunch of stuff that we don't need or won't work.
Will have to curb the enthusiasm just a bit...
Old 04-11-2017, 07:40 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 15B Escape Trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Trailer covers, wind and gel coat trailers are natural enemies. If the wind doesn't destroy the cover, the cover will chaff the trailer. Rather than a full cover which has a tendency to bloom out in the wind, maybe just a tarp that you can cinch down tightly to cover the top?
I've had my trailer going on 2 years. It's been stored outside the whole time. I wash and wax it regularly but after a long hot California summer and the wettest winter in history, my poor baby was heavily oxidation and had mold in places. I spent an embarrassing amount of money to make her look new again (gelcoat restored to smooth, shiny finish, trailer repainted, mold removed from awning then 303 applied to protect). My detailer insisted I start covering trailer and suggested I buy a large heavy tarp you can purchase at any big box store (lowe's, home depot, etc). I always come to forum first, to research recommendations which led me to get a quote from Calmark. However, since I just had a huge, unexpected expense with trailer, I decided to temporarily purchase a large tarp, like my detailer suggested. It's been on the camper a little over week, and during a freak thunderstorm. It fits really snug but if I remove a couple bungee cords by the door, I can slip inside if I need to. I cracked a couple of windows to help alleviate any heat or condensation concerns. After reading Donna's suggestion, I'm wondering if it's okay to stick with tarp which is @ $500 cheaper than the quote from CalMark. Thoughts?
California Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:49 PM   #30

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Just my opinion here... I'd not use a poly tarp. If anything is going to grind in grit, it'd be that. It's almost a hard surface.

Compare the feel of a plastic tarp to the Calmark's soft inside surface.

I had a cheap cover, it did exactly as Donna mentions the first winter I had the Escape. Threw it out and got the Calmark. Now that we're traveling in the winters it hasn't been covered for 6 months straight, like the first year, so I don't have a direct comparison. A month here and there, so far so good.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:00 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You have a good point Donna. I used to be in the motorcycle and personal watercraft business. If a cover or tarp can move around on a finished surface, it can dull it for sure. If the surface or the cover is dirty, it's worse. But if the surfaces are clean and the cover fits right, the risk is minimized. I haven't laid hands on a trailer cover yet, but I would hope that the material is easier on the finish than most tarps I've handled.
I lean towards covering with a purpose made cover for the off-season, but I will be able to say with more confidence after looking at the actual products.
I didn't see any covers at the RV show. I did see some great looking Strahl wine glasses though!
Old 04-11-2017, 10:37 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
We are in the process of selling our current trailer and hoping to put in an order for a 19 within the next week or so. We used a cover on our current trailer. We wedged some pool noodles between the cover and the trailer in hopes to prevent chaffing especially over the roof and around the sharp corners. Seemed to work. Not sure what that would do to fibreglass or if it would have any affect.
Oh by the way, First post.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:18 AM   #33

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Depending on the color, a darker tarp may create heat build up also. I look at it like automobiles that can sit out for months on the dealer lot before delivery, they always clean up nicely for it's new owner.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:57 AM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Please don't use a cheap poly tarp. They are abrasive and will grind finish off anything where there is movement. A friend used on an old stickie trailer and took aluminum down to bare metal.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:09 PM   #35

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
When we were at Escape on Saturday I noticed in their merchandise area they had covers for sale----not sure of the size but thinking they will fit our trailer--- how are they quality wise?

Pool noodle sounds like a good idea for the side of the solar panel...easy enough to use.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:48 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirie View Post
When we were at Escape on Saturday I noticed in their merchandise area they had covers for sale----not sure of the size but thinking they will fit our trailer--- how are they quality wise?

Pool noodle sounds like a good idea for the side of the solar panel...easy enough to use.
Pipe insulation works well. Already split. Any home improvement store. Duct tape in place.

Zig Ziglar
Old 04-12-2017, 02:52 PM   #37

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirie View Post

When we picked up our cover at Calmark, they also suggested pool noodles. We got several at the local 99c store, and slit them longitudinally, then cut into appropriate lengths for the sides and back of the solar panel, outside of the license plate, small pieces on the range vent terminal cover, and furnace exhaust. The Maxxfan and A/C are smooth and curved, so, no problem.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:39 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 15B Escape Trailer
the consensus seems to be using a dark tarp is NOT a good idea. Waaaa. I don't think I'm as concerned about the chafing because I've got it on pretty snug but the heat factor come summer will definitely be an issue (even if I'm camping every other week July - September). I'm going to leave it on until I hit the road next week. If there's zero signs of damage I'll consider leaving it on longer. I really don't have the extra $500 - $600 to buy a cover anytime soon. Hopefully I won't regret it.
Attached Thumbnails
20170412_143729.jpg   20170412_143735.jpg   20170412_143711.jpg  
California Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:41 AM   #39

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
tarps

We have the new 2016 model with A/C ,maxx vent and King antenna .I think a tarp or cover would break that King antenna in any kind of wind . How does one protect the Antenna ? My thoughts were to build( out of pvc ).a cage to protect the antenna .What are your thoughts ? thanks jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:45 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
We have the new 2016 model with A/C ,maxx vent and King antenna .I think a tarp or cover would break that King antenna in any kind of wind . How does one protect the Antenna ? My thoughts were to build( out of pvc ).a cage to protect the antenna .What are your thoughts ? thanks jim
For our cell antenna I used a gallon jug cut off and taped down with gaffers tape. A plastic bucket or tub wound probably work well for the king.

Zig Ziglar