Trailer Cover - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2017, 10:14 AM   #41

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
We have the new 2016 model with A/C ,maxx vent and King antenna .I think a tarp or cover would break that King antenna in any kind of wind . How does one protect the Antenna ? My thoughts were to build( out of pvc ).a cage to protect the antenna .What are your thoughts ? thanks jim
I found a square plastic laundry basket that fits it almost exactly at 45 degrees. I ran a bead of 1"x1/4" foam around the open end and stuff a few pieces of foam in it as I slip it over the antenna. 2nd year using it, so far so good. I do have to be careful when unrolling the cover over it.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:10 PM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape
21' Cover and Wheel covers

Looking at the ADCO Designer Series (Tyvek) for my 21'. If you have one, would you suggest going with the 34840 (18'-20') or the 34841 (20'-22')? Since the tongue isn't covered I'm thinking the smaller size would fit better.

Wheel Covers. What size are the standard tires on the 21'?
Thanks
Gary
DisplacedYoopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:13 PM   #43

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedYoopers View Post
Wheel Covers. What size are the standard tires on the 21'?
All models current get ST205/75R15 tires, which have 27.1" overall diameter and about 8" overall width.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:17 PM   #44

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes99 View Post
Oh by the way, First post.

Welcome to the Escape Owners community! And Congrats on your '19 order. I have found this forum to be an excellent resource and a fun distraction from all the crap that is on my FB page these days. Again, Welcome!
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:24 AM   #45

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Pulled the trailer out from its covered spot in the yard because I planned to wash and wax it. As it turns out, that was a timely move.

My trailer cover's been a Costco canopy in the back yard the last 3 years. Modified it's height so could drive in, has served well despite dinging the awning bracket 3 times when backing in. Went through 3 Harbor Freight tarps.

We get a lot of wind here this time of year but until yesterday the canopy, well anchored into the ground, has held its own despite the wind. Yesterday really wasn't so bad I thought, but we did get some serious gusts.
Attached Thumbnails
canopyW-1.jpg   canopyW-3.jpg  
Old 04-22-2017, 10:29 AM   #46

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Pulled the trailer out from its covered spot in the yard because I planned to wash and wax it. As it turns out, that was a timely move.

My trailer cover's been a Costco canopy in the back yard the last 3 years. Modified it's height so could drive in, has served well despite dinging the awning bracket 3 times when backing in. Went through 3 Harbor Freight tarps.

We get a lot of wind here this time of year but until yesterday the canopy, well anchored into the ground, has held its own despite the wind. Yesterday really wasn't so bad I thought, but we did get some serious gusts.
Woah - bummer - glad that nothing and no one was hurt!

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:29 AM   #47

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Glad to hear your trailer was outside and undamaged Myron!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:55 AM   #48

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Welcome to the Escape Owners community! And Congrats on your '19 order. I have found this forum to be an excellent resource and a fun distraction from all the crap that is on my FB page these days. Again, Welcome!
Thank you for the welcoming, we are beyond excited. You are right that it's become a great distraction but it's bordering on obsession. By reading these forums, I'll be an encyclopedia by December, lol.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:06 AM   #49

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:

I grew up in Cedar Crest up on the hill at Mountain View estates so know about those April and May winds. It's windier at our house in Tahoe though. Our neighbor's weather station hit 85 mph in January. Nothing not seriously engineered is going to withstand that.

I'm building a shade sail for my side yard in Fremont where the peak winds are about 40 mph. Pictures after it's done!
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:11 AM   #50

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
That's why I can't have one. Dad had one on the sheltered side of his house for a few years but it eventually did that, too.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:52 AM   #51

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Wow, maybe an insurance claim? Wait, was this to the same carport garage that you winched the roof top air conditioner to the top of the trailer? What a risk taker you are Myron....that close..
Old 04-22-2017, 01:24 PM   #52

That's right, Jim. Looking forward to seeing your build, SkyFree.

Leaning now (no pun intended) to building a pergola type structure, i.e. posts anchored in concrete and framed out, with cross bracing. Going on theory with porus heavy duty shade cloth for a roof the thing will therefore not be acting like a sail. Will take my materials list to Home Depot and Lowes to compile cost estimates. Key issue besides costs is, do I really have the bones for the heavy lifting.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:32 PM   #53

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
That's right, Jim. Looking forward to seeing your build, SkyFree.

Leaning now (no pun intended) to building a pergola type structure, i.e. posts anchored in concrete and framed out, with cross bracing. Going on theory with porus heavy duty shade cloth for a roof the thing will therefore not be acting like a sail. Will take my materials list to Home Depot and Lowes to compile cost estimates. Key issue besides costs is, do I really have the bones for the heavy lifting.
Myron, hope you are not moving any time soon if you go to all of that trouble.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:24 PM   #54

Costco no longer carries the 10x20 ft. auto canopy I have used so my choices for finding cover protection from the elements for ET-19 are narrowed down to speculation enhanced by analog mental tinkering.

What has emerged so far is either Plan A, simply layering on a protective wax coating, combined with prayer, or, Plan B, building myself a carport kind of thing. I like this solution but it does have issues. To avoid increases in property taxes or maybe permits required by anal town inspectors, probably best to not call it a really big Pergola and instead just call it a pole barn for the horse I might (or might not) be getting. Need to keep that hay dry. No solid roof, open sides. Plan B would follow a preliminary, rough sketch seen here.

A trip to Lowes for a materials cost analysis yesterday was good. Material costs likely to be under $500. My original trailer pad location is 18x18 feet, so might as well use it all, and be able to park the horse beside the trailer. Monday I go see the town building inspector to find out if this plan will fly.

Then, of course, it boils down to (do I really) need the heavy lifting.
Attached Thumbnails
Polebarn.jpg  
Old 05-17-2017, 09:21 PM   #55

Trailer: 2014 15B Escape Trailer
Bobbito, Just wanted to thank you for the advice on elite cover. I had to purchase a 16' for my 15b but it's a step up from the tarp that's been on it the past month or so. I also appreciate the pictures you posted. Now I can see how the clips are supposed to be attached in the front. It did't come with instructions or even a picture but can't beat the price of $139! Anyway, thanks again. I can sleep easier now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
Just removed the cheapo cover from our Escape 21 after its 2nd long winter protecting our baby. The trailer looks and feels polished, like it did when I covered it in October. It occurred to me that the external lights were perfectly clean. THISIS HUGE!!! With our stick built without a cover, each spring I had to remove each light cover and clean the green/black growth that got inside. NO MORE! And the rest of the external trailer hardware looked just as good. I only wish I had made the move to covers long ago!

We don't have any wind to speak of in Surrey, BC, especially beside our house where our Escape is parked, so the less than perfect fit of our oversized cover doesn't result in a lot of flapping. The cheap cover, from Elite Auto on Ebay, Is only $160 U.S. and has already lasted two long winters. The cover looks like it should last at least 2 more winters, if not more. It had a couple of small rips in it (fixed with duct tape) from when we were figuring out how to set it up. We also didn't know how easy it was to rip the Tyvek sidewalls, but since that first day we haven't ripped any more.

I was tempted to go for the Calmark cover, with its better fit and softer material, but at a fraction of the price of a Calmark we are saving quite a bundle. If we had a lot of wind I might have tried a better quality cover, possibly the Calmark.

Here is a link to our cover:
Deluxe Escape 21 Travel Trailer Camper Cover W/ Zipper Door Access | eBay

Bob K
California Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:23 AM   #56

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Trailer Cover

Glad the post was helpful to you. I get a lot of great advice on this forum too.

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 03:13 PM   #57

Recent change of plans on my replacement trailer cover:

Decided that the very heavy lifting part of building my pergola-for-the-trailer by myself made it a deal killer. Reality bites. Nearby there’s a really good utility building franchise with excellent options, outstanding build-quality, references, and pricing.

I was all set to close a deal for one of their products, having a roof but no walls, and made of steel. Beautiful structure. For a two vehicle space their quoted price was excellent.

The manager offered to call on my behalf to confirm basic town permit requirements. Bummer. Turns out my town requires build location must be 10 ft from any fence line. I’ve got the space but doing another location would require considerably more clearance work, pad prep, etc. The deal is broke. I can’t get it installed on my old canopy pad.

Went back to the internet. Wind and hail and sun are the prime issue here. I wanted a wider margin of safety when backing in. Found ShelterLogic, in Connecticut. They have a 12 feet wide canopy with 2 inch diameter posts. I would have to raise it 10 inches to safely clear the air conditioner. No problem. I bought it. The vinyl sheet roof looks like it might be lucky to last a year here. I considered adding heavy duty shade cloth instead, but would need to find a custom size (must be no less than 14 ft wide). Lowes sells this in five colors. I’m no seamstress. Almost went for a 14 x 24ft shade cloth I found online but then caved over the price ($180+) and will visit Harbor Freight instead.

Was able to recycle anchoring stuff from the crunched, old canopy but still spent $50bucks on braded steel cable, eye bolts, turnbuckles, and replacement pool noodles that Josie chewed up.

Think I can say I did learn some lessons about guying against the wind from the previous fiasco. What a lovely plan, eh?
Attached Thumbnails
frame3.jpg  
Old 06-04-2017, 03:25 PM   #58

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: MyronL... Or is that "Spike"? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 04:48 PM   #59

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
................. The vinyl sheet roof looks like it might be lucky to last a year here. I considered adding heavy duty shade cloth instead, .....
My lovely wife has been experimenting with painting acrylic paint onto garden shades, plastic, etc., for sun protection. She even painted my fishing hat to make it look new. So far, the painted fabrics and plastics are holding up to the So.Calif. sun very well. My hat is as flexible and comfortable as before (but the fabric breathes a little less).

I wonder whether a large canopy getting the same treatment would be worthy of an experiment? It certainly is cheap, compared to fabric replacement.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:51 AM   #60

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
RV covers

Just got an email from Camping world for a perma pro classic rv cover for $240 us .
Has anyone purchased this Perma Pro 64808 ? ( Elite one looks good ? for $160)
Another option is do like Myron has done but would have to run elec line about 70ft and trench in line a lot more work for sure .
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote