Up on the Roof - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2019, 12:38 PM   #1

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Up on the Roof

Finally got around t a couple maintenance issues. The Maxxfan cover has developed stress cracks by the hinge on the back side of the unit.

Contacted Maxxair, had them send me a replacement under warranty. No instructions came with it but an email to them got them to send me the pdf.

Pretty easy job, remove 4 side screws, push up the unit from inside, turn it to gain access to the hinge screws fore and aft, remove same. Pop loose the lift arms. Install was pretty much the reverse except the clips the screws go into move around while getting the cover back into place. Took maybe 40 minutes total, NOT including cleaning the unit while it was loose, pretty grungy in there.

Would have been easier to clean if I opted to cut the 2 wires, they looked pretty short so I worked on it up on the roof.

Painted the loft vent cover as it has turned an ugly yellow. Opted to remove the unit, which is easy once you figure out what needs to be done. Remove the 2 hinge end screws on the cover, remove the 2 hinge pins for the screen, that's it.

Clean it up, 3 coats of Dover White Fusion, put it back using stainless steel screws. Roughly a 2 hour job, an hour of which is waiting for the paint to dry. The color is acceptable, got a bit of tan in it but it works fine up on the roof.

I coat of black or some such may have been better, then using the white over it, as the cover looks yellow from the inside now with the sun shining. Not too worried about it as this cover also has stress cracks on it so I'll be replacing it in the not too distant future.

1. Old cover
2. New cover
3. Partially cleaned assy
4. Loft hatch
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg  
Old 06-22-2019, 02:40 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
How did you discover the stress cracks? From what location?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 03:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 1998 Casita Spirit
We have a couple stress cracks from the screw holes to the base of the AC cover on our Casita. My husband swears by some special glue set called Hot Stuff. He’s going to try to repair the little cracks, rather than buying a new cover at $100+. We will see how it goes.
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 03:25 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
How did you discover the stress cracks? From what location?
I fund the ones on the Maxxfan while washing and waxing while up on a ladder. You can see them on the 1st picture, they are pretty obvious. must be from the rivets for the hinge. The ones on the escape hatch I found today when I removed it to paint.