water pump - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2022, 04:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
water pump

should i have a spare water pump ?- going to Alaska besides tires any thing else i should buy and take as a spare? trailer is a 2017 no issues so far.....
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 05:27 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
should i have a spare water pump ?- going to Alaska besides tires any thing else i should buy and take as a spare? trailer is a 2017 no issues so far.....
Just take your good luck charm with you and have fun.....
Old 04-08-2022, 05:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
It's a relatively cheap insurance against the current pump failing, We had a pump go out on our first long trip. Lucky we had a Camping World nearby. I would probably take a spare.
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 06:21 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Mine seem to last about 3 to 3-1/2 years each. I think more because of not enough usage than actual time. I’ve set it up with quick disconnects with electrical connections so that a changeover takes about an hour. I don’t know how many water hookups I’ll have with my trip to Alaska this year. I’ll be on the road for about 3 months.
Old 04-08-2022, 10:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
Save the money.

Take one of these and a bucket. If your pump goes out drain your water as needed into a bucket. Use pump where to need it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/batter...6bf3f76f9ebf0b

I have several of these work great.
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 08:52 AM   #6

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
Save the money.

Take one of these and a bucket. If your pump goes out drain your water as needed into a bucket. Use pump where to need it.

I use one of these for putting diesel in my tractor. Works great!
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 11:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
Save the money.

I agree there is a time and place for this portable pump. In the case of a long trip up to and through Canada and Alaska,I think a $70 investment in a spare water pump makes more sense. An hour changeover will save time needed to heat water over the stove (when unable to get water from fresh water tank and on board water heater). Time spent retrieving water to flush the toilet. Time spent figuring out how to bathe. Not putting down the battery pump idea, but giving thoughts to consider when deciding if a spare pump makes sense. In the lower 48, getting a replacement pump in one to two days is not as challenging.
Old 02-22-2023, 12:40 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19!!
I have a 2020 E19. How do I know what kind of water pump I have so I can order one. We are supposed to go from Florida to out west next year and I just want to be prepared. Trying to to a lot of stuff myself. Thanks!

Also, I am getting a pulsating noise when I turn it on sometimes. We made a slight adjustment to it but can still hear it every so often. That is why I am asking about water pump replacement. I am not sure if it is going bad.
Chowdagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 01:22 PM   #9

Mine is a 2014. The pump I use is Shurflo 4008-101-E65 3.0 Currently about $81 from Amazon. One challenge when ordering from Amazon to Alaska is very long shipping times. (think 1 to 1-1/2 weeks) When in Alaska, it’s tough to plan for receipt when moving a lot.
Old 02-22-2023, 10:41 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowdagirl View Post
I have a 2020 E19. How do I know what kind of water pump I have so I can order one. We are supposed to go from Florida to out west next year and I just want to be prepared. Trying to to a lot of stuff myself. Thanks!

Also, I am getting a pulsating noise when I turn it on sometimes. We made a slight adjustment to it but can still hear it every so often. That is why I am asking about water pump replacement. I am not sure if it is going bad.
Look on the pump itself for make/model. It’s probably the Shurflo 4008. If you boondock and need a water transfer pump to help fill fresh tank consider this mod to have a working spare. Great when things are dual purpose.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post430934
Old 02-23-2023, 06:51 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowdagirl View Post

I'm not sure what you mean by "pulsating noise". Sometimes that kind of noise is normal. Depends on how much the tap is open and how much the pump is cycling. I'm a great fan of installing an accumulator. Cuts down on cycling sounds.

I must lead a charmed life. In over 40 years of using water pumps in boats and trailers I've never had a failure. When offshore in my boat I had a spare but I don't carry one in the trailer. Touch wood, I won't need one.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 09:02 AM   #12

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Had to replace the water pump on my 2019 5.0 last fall and it was a Shurflo 4008. Here's a link to it on Amazon, it was an exact replacement: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Old 02-23-2023, 09:52 AM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
The 81 dollars is cheap insurance and if you feel better “buy one” and fittings to be able to switch them.

The part that usually goes out is the gasket i carry a spear in a baggie taped to the pump so I can find it if ever needed. Lees weight and space. Still waiting to use it 20 years and holding.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote