Wax Update - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2017, 02:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Wax Update

Almost finished my 6 month wash/wax and some interesting things noted.
One, this is the third 6 month wash/wax maintenance since we picked up the trailer and this one was the easiest. The surface washed very simply with nothing sticking and requiring more effort. The roof looked fabulous before and after washing. Meguiars Premium Marine went on and off with little effort and was actually easier than the washing step.
All of the roof plastic items that are treated with 303 Protectant still look great with a nice white color.
Plastic items that are yellowing despite 303 treatment. Storage door catch, all levels, Stove Vent cover, removable power plug cover, and the front window screen which is not gel-coat (not sure what it is). Most of these plastic items don't get direct sun on them so one would have to chalk it up to crappy plastic and not much will prevent the yellowing. Eventual fusion paint for them.
The Plasti-dip that I used to replace the fugly vinyl mud flaps with on the front lower panels is working great and is the exact color of the gel coat. You can't tell the panels have been Plasti-dipped unless you rub your hand on it.
I think ultimately I'll scrape the decals off the front windscreen and use the Plasti-dip to reshoot the windscreen. It will look great and add more protection to that area.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
What color Plasti Dip matches the trailer gelcoat? I am planning to use Plasti Dip on the stock wheels and maybe do a quick spray on the front lower part of the trailer as a quick rock guard right after pick up.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:07 PM   #3

Trailer: None now
I just washed both the trailer and the truck after a 4000 plus mile trip. The truck took no time at all to clean all the crud off. It gets waxed every 3 months so the bugs and crud slid off. The trailer took forever !! I had to scrub and scrub to get the bugs and tree sap and stains off. Tomorrow the trailer gets its first coat of wax. I'm hoping that will seal the gel coat and make the next cleaning easier.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
What color Plasti Dip matches the trailer gelcoat? I am planning to use Plasti Dip on the stock wheels and maybe do a quick spray on the front lower part of the trailer as a quick rock guard right after pick up.
I used this one at the Depot:
Plasti Dip 11 oz. White General Purpose Rubber Coating Spray-11207-6 - The Home Depot
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
I just washed both the trailer and the truck after a 4000 plus mile trip. The truck took no time at all to clean all the crud off. It gets waxed every 3 months so the bugs and crud slid off. The trailer took forever !! I had to scrub and scrub to get the bugs and tree sap and stains off. Tomorrow the trailer gets its first coat of wax. I'm hoping that will seal the gel coat and make the next cleaning easier.
That is one of the advantages of our 303, especially on the wheel wells. They were awful until we used it.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:24 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
I was a wondering if anyone knows the difference between the various 303 products. One is called Aerospace Protectant and one is called Aerospace Protectant Marine/Recreational. Are these the same or is there some formulation difference?
mcdonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:38 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonner View Post
I was a wondering if anyone knows the difference between the various 303 products. One is called Aerospace Protectant and one is called Aerospace Protectant Marine/Recreational. Are these the same or is there some formulation difference?
Well, since they got bought by Gold Eagle, there have been a slew of products introduced with the name 303. The original 303 Aerospace Protectant however has kept the same name, albeit a new label design. I buy the original 303 Aerospace protectant (product number 30320) in one gallon jugs from a local hot tub and pool supply store.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk