What gets the bugs off? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2020, 10:12 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA
What gets the bugs off?

I know I read a thread about this, but I have searched several different terms and just can't find it. After putting about 1,000 miles on our new-to-us camper the last few weekends, we have quite a large insect collection on our front face. Someone(s) mentioned some cleaners that they spray on and let sit to make it much easier to get everything off. She was waxed this spring, so we don't need to rewax before covering for winter, but we do want to her clean again. Suggestions for first timers so we don't ruin her looks?

Thanks,
Jackie
Jgntch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:19 AM   #2

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Bug and tar remover works great for me. Also works great in the wheel wells to get road grit off. Apply and clean with microfiber cloth. I spend about 20 minutes cleaning front and wheel wells at each campsite and it stay looking perfectly clean. Seems to have no adverse effect on the gel coat. Everybody here has an opinion so others will likely disagree.
2019 Tundra Crew Max TV
ritacasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:22 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgntch View Post
I know I read a thread about this, but I have searched several different terms and just can't find it. After putting about 1,000 miles on our new-to-us camper the last few weekends, we have quite a large insect collection on our front face. Someone(s) mentioned some cleaners that they spray on and let sit to make it much easier to get everything off. She was waxed this spring, so we don't need to rewax before covering for winter, but we do want to her clean again. Suggestions for first timers so we don't ruin her looks?

Thanks,
Jackie
Hi: jgnitch... Be careful using bug remover on the nose. The graphics all softened and curled up on ours. Can't remember what I used but now it's Blue Coral Wax/wash from Wal-Mart and a good glug of elbow grease.
Pic of the graphics guy talking on his cell on one hand and putting on replacements with the other. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170814_150707.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:26 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Turtle Wax Bug 'n' Tar.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:36 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I do some prep before leaving on a trip. I make sure the front surface has a fresh coat of wax. I may wax that front several times a year. So much for starters.

While travelling I carry a window cleaning wand, just like you find at the gas station. In-route I will clean the bugs as time permits. Since many campgrounds prohibit washing your RV I just wet and rewet the bug remover sponge to get it clean as best as possible. It usually still has streaks and residue when I am done but I have removed the bulk of the bugs. My goal is to keep up with the bugs but more important removing them before they bake in the sun.

I have not found a "product" that makes things easier. Not to say there is not one out there.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:01 AM   #6

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
A warm wet towel

In my former life as a motorcyclist, we would always wet a towel with warm water and drape it over the windshield. After ten minutes the bugs would wipe right off with a few needing a little rubbing. I use the same technique on the "Mystery Machine" my 19. Most of the bugs are on the top where the towel drapes on the curve and stays on it's own. My manual awning requires a bit more work with a sponge.
Steve NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:11 PM   #7

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve NY View Post
In my former life as a motorcyclist, we would always wet a towel with warm water and drape it over the windshield. After ten minutes the bugs would wipe right off with a few needing a little rubbing.
BTDT with similar easy success, even using just a single-layer of dripping-wet paper towel (not for scrubbing, just for the soaking / softening with easy disposal of the transferred bug goo). Microfiber only for any wiping or scrubbing - not abrasive paper products.

And (don't laugh), Lemon Pledge aerosol was a proven favorite for pre-trip prep and post-trip cleanup of plastic motorcycle windshields and fiberglass fairings. It won't harm gelcoat or long-term wax, seems to help with bug-splatter management and reduce the amount of elbow-grease required at the end of the day, but I'm not sure about compatibility with applied graphics.
Old 10-14-2020, 02:05 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
On our past two RV's and vehicles, we use Bounce fabric softener sheets. They work pretty well, but will leave a slight film that washes off with water. Matt & Pat
Steveanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 02:24 PM   #9

Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17. Looking for something else.
I use a mixture of of 25% ammonia and 75% water in a spray bottle. Spray it on a cold surface where it does not evaporate, and let it soak for a while. then wipe or rinse it off. Unfortunately, this also removes wax so re waxing may be necessary.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 03:06 PM   #10

Trailer: ?
And if you want to make the job a whole lot easier the next time, apply this to all frontal surfaces of your trailer and tow vehicle before you leave home. Now and then on your trip, apply it again. Quick and easy. Bugs just wash off with water and a clean rag.

Wash & Wax All

https://www.amazon.com/Waterless-Oun...s%2C180&sr=8-5
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 03:12 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
What gets the bugs off?

I use a paste of baking soda and water. Let’s it stand for a few minutes then wipe and wash off. It only takes a little bit of pressure. I then put a light coat of wax on the surface.

And I like to wet towel suggestion. I will give it a try on our next trip.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 03:57 PM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I always use Meguires products. The car wash soap should take of the bugs with a little scrubbing. I usually let the soap sit for a bit to soften up any dirt or bugs. Then wax it again. If you wax it every year, the bugs come off easy. I don't wax the entire trailer every year, but do wax the front for sure every year.

Don't use any harsh cleaners and don't use dish soap, that's really bad.
Old 10-14-2020, 04:59 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have achieved good results when applying wax or cleaners to my vehicles and Escape is to use micro-fiber cloths, they seem to really clean the surface.......
Old 10-14-2020, 05:01 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Butter. Smear it on and let it sit for a while. It also will soften tree sap. No matter what you use to clean it, since it is the front and constantly exposed to 6-legged critters, it doesn’t hurt to put another coat of wax on the area that seems to collect the “flying hordes.”
Old 10-14-2020, 05:50 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 21NE
On my way home recently from a two-week outing, I was contemplating how to get the thousands of bug carcasses off the front surfaces of the trailer and canopy arms. But then it started to rain - a lot - for about the last two hours of driving. When i got home, there were no bugs left to speak of. So that wet towel idea may have merit!
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:30 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix2 View Post
On my way home recently from a two-week outing, I was contemplating how to get the thousands of bug carcasses off the front surfaces of the trailer and canopy arms. But then it started to rain - a lot - for about the last two hours of driving. When i got home, there were no bugs left to speak of. So that wet towel idea may have merit!
In Flori-duh, we have lovebugs. They are called that because they emerge in May and in September, as the old airline commercial they “Fly United,” making the next crop of lovebugs. They will make a mess of your car, and in such quantity that the front of a white car can look black. Difficult to remove if you wet and scrub. However, if you wet them well, wait 5 minutes, wet them again, wait another 5 minutes and use a a jet nozzle, most of them can be blasted off, leaving only a few stubborn stuck on bugs, but generally now easily removed with a sponge. So what you are suggesting is correct. Driving through rain at 60 or 65 mph (100 kph), you are essentially pressure washing your vehicle. Five or ten minutes of rain won’t accomplish much, but an hour or two of heavy rain works wonders. The only problem with a wet towel is that you likely need several towels and it is difficult to keep towels from falling off of any surface that isn’t horizontal or mostly horizontal.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:16 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I don't wax. I use a polymer coating for boats and airplanes. Unbelievably slick; bug juice just doesn't stick much and mostly hoses off. Wipe on, wipe off - no buffing. Once a year. https://www.amazon.com/Rejex-High-Gl.../dp/B00GM6NF0I

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:36 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
after returning from the Escape Rally one year the front of the trailer was absolutely covered with dead bugs. Nothing like driving through the prairie in springtime to coat your trailer with a variety of bug carcasses. Some one recommended "Bug Melt" It worked well. but since that time, we have done much as Charlie has. Use Rejex on the trailer and the bugs seem to wash up pretty easily.
Old 10-19-2020, 02:18 PM   #19

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
WE use WD-40
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:21 PM   #20

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I don't wax. I use a polymer coating for boats and airplanes. Unbelievably slick; bug juice just doesn't stick much and mostly hoses off. Wipe on, wipe off - no buffing. Once a year. https://www.amazon.com/Rejex-High-Gl.../dp/B00GM6NF0I
I have found that Rejex works well, I applied a couple coats to the front of my 5.0 and find it to be very effective.