Winter Cover Escape 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2019, 05:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Winter Cover Escape 19

I am covering for the 1st time my 2017 E19 with the Classic cover I received when purchasing the trailer this year. I am finding due to the roof moulded step and awning there is a channel about a foot wide that runs front to back. Because it is flat, contained and slightly dished water can pool on the cover.

I was looking for tips to encourage drainage using the cover. Also if there were others with similar cover, the method(s) they used to keep the rain moving off roof and protect gelcoat underneath.
ChuckBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:07 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Tilt the trailer front to rear or vice versa. You say classic cover but your unit is 2nd G is it the correct cover?
Old 10-12-2019, 05:08 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've read of folks using pool noodles in the dip.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Cover is made by Classic Assessories and it appears more suitable for the 21. It is in great shape so will use for a few years. I think I'll manufacture a peak to drain possibly out of yoga blocks. Does storing trailer heavy on front axle with tilt have any affect on torsion rubber parts?
Ron
ChuckBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:54 AM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
The previous owner of my 17B used a cover. The upper radius’s of the trailer had the shine wore off. I figured it was from the cover they used. I don’t like covers as they blow in the wind and ruin the finish on the trailer.

Find a barn for the winter or wax it up and leave it outside. I don’t cover my truck in the winter, why would I cover my trailer. I actually prefer shrink wrap like the marinas do.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:00 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
why would I cover my trailer. I actually prefer shrink wrap like the marinas do.
Bird poop and tree needles. Our birds out here in Lotusland maybe are more active during the Winter. Of course a bird feeder nearby doesn't help either.

I haven't put my cover on yet because of lots of mods going on. It's my old one from the 19. It was very roomy for the 19 and I had to hike up the skirt a bit so I'm expecting that it'll be about perfect on the 21.

Never had any damage from using a cover and yes, Glenn, I do wash it in the Spring.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:03 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Never had any damage from using a cover and yes, Glenn, I do wash it in the Spring.

Ron

"It" being the cover, I presume?
Top frontal area of my trailer is not shiny either, and I shelter it under a cedar, no cover, so I don't think that the cover is removing shine.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:07 PM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I use a cover for a few months a year. I've had the finish get rubbed off, if that's the right term, where the straps wrap around under the trailer but nothing on top. On my trailer the top stays shinier with the cover then without. Without it gets oxidized pretty good and the sides get a case of the black streaks. I do take steps other then the included straps to minimize billowing from the wind. I wrap straps around it like a belly band.

The 2 spots I had the finish rubbed off by the covers straps buffing with compound took care of it. Damned if I do, damned if I don't.