Winter Storage and Ventilation? Waxing - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-20-2021, 05:10 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: Escape 21NE
Posts: 1
Winter Storage and Ventilation? Waxing

I am looking for information on storing our 21NE under the cover for next winter, and am worried that we will no longer be able to run the MaxFan continuously as we did before (through winter) , since it will be covered. Has anyone got experience with this issue? We are in Calgary, it gets really cold, is quite dry, but still, I prefer ventilation during the winter to closing up the Escape for 8 months... It is stored off site.
Also, we will need to wax this trailer this year...any suggestions for product Detergent and wax product, number of coats, timing), and techniques? We do not have machinery for this, just elbow grease. Do we go to an RV wash station, and wash/wax in one location as soon as it is clean and dry?
__________________

Heidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:10 AM   #2
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 23,865
I think just leaving the vent open and a window cracked will provide enough ventilation, that is the way it is done here in the mid-atlantic area.
__________________

__________________
Jim
What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals....
Goethe
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:41 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Perryb67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Posts: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
Also, we will need to wax this trailer this year...any suggestions for product Detergent and wax product, number of coats, timing), and techniques? We do not have machinery for this, just elbow grease. Do we go to an RV wash station, and wash/wax in one location as soon as it is clean and dry?
I do not belong to the "Church Of Paste Wax". Paste wax is really soft, needs frequent application, needs to be wiped off, and many times tedious buffing. I tried, I really did, but am now back to Zep products.

Zep is known as a floor wax, but there is nothing to prevent you from applying to fiberglass. You might want to read Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell... This thread of 900+ responses was started in 2010.

Our 5.0 was purchased in October 2018 and has not been waxed, despite always sitting in the sun. The gelcoat is still perfect with no oxidation. I'm about to finish the first waxing using Zep products.

Since the gelcoat still shines it did not need a stripper.

We like more wax on the front to protect from chips and bugs. Foolishly we did not apply to the front, where stones are thrown, and now have some chips.

You need a wax mitt and a spray bottle. Just load the spray bottle with wax, spray the mitt with a couple of squirts, and wipe on a thin layer.

The order of application:
  • Thoroughly clean the camper, just like for any waxing.

  • Apply the stripper if there is oxidation or you want to remove underlying wax - we could skip this step

  • Apply Zep sealer

  • Apply Zep High Traffic Floor Polish (for the first time I applied five coats on the front and three on the sides and rear, at 40 minutes a coat). Do not try to apply a thick layer (it's almost impossible anyway). A thin layer is all that's needed.

  • If you wish, optional, apply Zep Wet Look Floor Polish (I'll be applying two coats this week)
There is no wiping off wax and no buffing like needs to be done with paste wax. If only applying two coats (some do) it easily takes half the time of paste wax with no elbow grease involved.

Others will differ, but sometimes you need to think out of the box. Zep is not your floor wax of old, but a hard wax that really protects your camper for a long time. No buffing needed!

Enjoy,

Perry
__________________
Those who know everything use pens. Intelligent people use pencils.
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 11:04 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: outside Boston, Massachusetts
Trailer: 2020 21NE
Posts: 43
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
I do not belong to the "Church Of Paste Wax". Paste wax is really soft, needs frequent application, needs to be wiped off, and many times tedious buffing. I tried, I really did, but am now back to Zep products.

Zep is known as a floor wax, but there is nothing to prevent you from applying to fiberglass. You might want to read Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell... This thread of 900+ responses was started in 2010.

Our 5.0 was purchased in October 2018 and has not been waxed, despite always sitting in the sun. The gelcoat is still perfect with no oxidation. I'm about to finish the first waxing using Zep products.

Since the gelcoat still shines it did not need a stripper.

We like more wax on the front to protect from chips and bugs. Foolishly we did not apply to the front, where stones are thrown, and now have some chips.

You need a wax mitt and a spray bottle. Just load the spray bottle with wax, spray the mitt with a couple of squirts, and wipe on a thin layer.

The order of application:
  • Thoroughly clean the camper, just like for any waxing.

  • Apply the stripper if there is oxidation or you want to remove underlying wax - we could skip this step

  • Apply Zep sealer

  • Apply Zep High Traffic Floor Polish (for the first time I applied five coats on the front and three on the sides and rear, at 40 minutes a coat). Do not try to apply a thick layer (it's almost impossible anyway). A thin layer is all that's needed.

  • If you wish, optional, apply Zep Wet Look Floor Polish (I'll be applying two coats this week)
There is no wiping off wax and no buffing like needs to be done with paste wax. If only applying two coats (some do) it easily takes half the time of paste wax with no elbow grease involved.

Others will differ, but sometimes you need to think out of the box. Zep is not your floor wax of old, but a hard wax that really protects your camper for a long time. No buffing needed!

Enjoy,

Perry
Thank you so much for the information!!! We are part timers and just washed for the first time (picked up end of January) and were fretting over the waxing!
TravelMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 10:22 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
AKCamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Juneau, Alaska
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
I am looking for information on storing our 21NE under the cover for next winter, and am worried that we will no longer be able to run the MaxFan continuously as we did before (through winter) , since it will be covered. Has anyone got experience with this issue? We are in Calgary, it gets really cold, is quite dry, but still, I prefer ventilation during the winter to closing up the Escape for 8 months... It is stored off site.
We always store our 2016 Escape 19 closed up tight with one or two of the large dri-z-air buckets inside. This year when I opened up the trailer it smelled great. I tip the cushions up and open the cabinets, and close it up tight. Make sure everything is good and clean cause mold needs food and moisture. We store ours under cover not covered with a tarp or trailer cover though.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×