Winter storage/battery removal - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2022, 01:54 PM   #21

Trailer: 2019 17B; 2011 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
Because of my back, one of my priorities is the batteries stay in the camper location until they fail. I've never moved a battery out of the camper and yet we live in Minnesota where temperatures can get as low as -40F.

I don't use a battery tender, because it's not needed if the battery is healthy, or it will be well over 7 months before it's used. A simple google search will give similar advice.

Perry
Because I’m removing the (lead acid) batteries for 6 1/2 months and storing them in my barn (temps down to -20° F), I’m going to use a battery tender. Have devised a system to remove them from the containers without too much stress on my back.

Perhaps the tender is more than I need to do. Kind of like my getting a Husky WDH to tow my 17B with my Tundra. Overkill, but - no harm done.
mimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 12:08 PM   #22

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Brand new 21C , 1 solar panel, 2 lith batteries. Getting ready to cover it up. Looks like removing the batts would be a PITA. Can I get by with flipping the batt disconnect switch and then (maybe) a proper trickle charger? I'm here in mid- MO Average low during the winter is around 20 F.
Thanks.
beebobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 12:58 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
First of every month is charge battery day and that's already happening today.

I have 7 batteries that are used seasonally. It's so easy, out of sight, out of mind to let a battery sit and discharge, sometimes to the point of no return. Maybe not as likely if only 1 or 2 batteries are in periodic use.

Which also reminds me, time to run the generator, it's on a 4 month cycle.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 04:40 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beebobby View Post
Brand new 21C , 1 solar panel, 2 lith batteries. Getting ready to cover it up. Looks like removing the batts would be a PITA. Can I get by with flipping the batt disconnect switch and then (maybe) a proper trickle charger? I'm here in mid- MO Average low during the winter is around 20 F.
Thanks.

Most LI batteries on the market specify long-term storage at or around 80% state-of-charge and not to be trickled charged. And in addition, LI batteries should not be charged when below freezing. However, fancier ($$$) batteries have internal heaters so they can be charged when the weather is very cold.

I leave my LI batteries totally disconnected and in the trailer all winter in Denver. No solar charge and no discharge. There is extra insulation in the compartment so I believe (read -I hope) that the overnight low temperatures don't get into the batteries.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 05:47 PM   #25

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
Fwiw, everything I have seen says Lithium batteries should be long term stored at 20-80% charge. Some say 30-70%.
That is for Lithium Ion, not for LiFePO4 batteries.

TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 06:39 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have owned two to three trailers at a time most of my adult life and have never taken a lead-acid battery out for storage. There just is no need so long as you keep the batteries charged. I have never had a battery fail doing so. It does get cold here in Calgary, AB during parts of the winter.

As others mentioned, do turn off the battery disconnect switch while storing for some time.

I used to check the charge of my RV batteries a couple times a winter and often would give them a bit of a charge, but now with solar there is just no need. Well, that and the fact this year I put in a 30A outlet to my trailer pad in the backyard.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 11:25 AM   #27

Since I don't have a solar panel disconnect switch (yet), could I just disconnect one of the MC4 connectors on the roof before I cover for the winter?
Old 11-08-2022, 06:56 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beebobby View Post
Since I don't have a solar panel disconnect switch (yet), could I just disconnect one of the MC4 connectors on the roof before I cover for the winter?
If you are doing a winter cover, that will effectively block solar charging.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 09:50 AM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
If you are doing a winter cover, that will effectively block solar charging.
It didn't completely block the charging from the panel with my 2011 17B & the then stock 90 watt GoPower panel when using the cover supplied by Escape. Enough light got through the cover to trickle charge the batteries. If you want to be sure you are shutting down charging, either unplug or add a disconnect switch.
Old 11-09-2022, 08:44 PM   #30

I was thinking about the procedure. Hit the disconnect, then cover or vice versa?
Old 11-09-2022, 09:20 PM   #31

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
I remove my batteries (lead acid) since I have no access to my trailer when stored over the winter. Extra piece of mind that they won't freeze. If I had access and power I'd leave them and plug in time to time.

One positive is that every time I lift them the price of lithium seems more and more reasonable.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote