winterizing and city water check valve - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2017, 01:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 19'
winterizing and city water check valve

Newbie question, we've winterized our new 19 using the ez-wintering T valve installed by escape, ran the water until pink showed from all taps, but swear I read somewhere that we should make sure there wasn't water trapped in the city water valve. All I could find was how NOT to push the valve without depressurizing. So should we turn on the taps sans pump to relieve the pressure and then remove the screen from the city water and push it in a to clear out any water? Or just leave it as is?
Thank you all and apologies if this is somewhere already.
TallyHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallyHo View Post
Newbie question, we've winterized our new 19 using the ez-wintering T valve installed by escape, ran the water until pink showed from all taps, but swear I read somewhere that we should make sure there wasn't water trapped in the city water valve. All I could find was how NOT to push the valve without depressurizing. So should we turn on the taps sans pump to relieve the pressure and then remove the screen from the city water and push it in a to clear out any water? Or just leave it as is?

Hi there, you made me think about this as I just winterized my new 17B. The link below should help. I think the check valve discussion is about four posts in from the top on the first page.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...jack-6780.html
Old 10-18-2017, 02:11 PM   #3

Thank you Rick, I knew I'd read about it somewhere!
Old 10-18-2017, 02:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallyHo View Post
You are hitting it quickly to clear that short line of any water and release any residual pressure. Just try to hit it when the system is not fully pressurized (with pump off and maybe after opening a tap for a few seconds). The picture is of a Scamp, but it's the same concept. Just remove the screen, step to the side and quickly press in on the valve. You should see a little water and then some pink. Done.
Attached Thumbnails
city water valve.JPG  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
I blew my water lines out with compressed air....and that should clear the city water check valve also. If you put the RV anti-freeze in your water tank and pump it...I think that is when you need to manually clear the city water check valve?
Old 10-18-2017, 04:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
I blew my water lines out with compressed air....and that should clear the city water check valve also. If you put the RV anti-freeze in your water tank and pump it...I think that is when you need to manually clear the city water check valve?
Correct. Compressed air or antifreeze pumped in from the city water inlet avoids needing to clear the check valve. If using onboard pump with winterizing T-valve (avoids antifreeze in tank) you should clear the check valve.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Correct. Compressed air or antifreeze pumped in from the city water inlet avoids needing to clear the check valve. If using onboard pump with winterizing T-valve (avoids antifreeze in tank) you should clear the check valve.
I opened the sink taps to release any pressure and then gave the check valve a quick push. I didn't notice any water coming out but there was pink antifreeze that sprayed out so perhaps the T-valve method will get antifreeze into that line. Or it could be there was just a tiny amount of water that mixed with the antifreeze. At any point, now I won't worry about that freezing! Thank you.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Is this a new thing? I have never done it before on a trailer, with no issue, nor did I do it with my 5.0TA.

I don't see how there could be an issue either, what am I missing?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:39 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
check valve

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...take-9856.html

Earlier this year, the city water check valve caused me no end of grief when I was de-winterizing after I had used air compressor air to winterize the previous Fall.

I learned lots, be careful when pushing that thing fellow forum members. In my view, anyone new to winterizing and using compressed air is likely to learn something by following the attached link. Reace (of ETI fame) commented on page 3.

FYI I don't think my owner's manual mentions pushing the valve to release pressure during the winterizing phase.

Have fun, Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Is this a new thing? I have never done it before on a trailer, with no issue, nor did I do it with my 5.0TA.

I don't see how there could be an issue either, what am I missing?
In reality you probably don’t need to do it. For me this is a carryover from learning to winterize a Scamp. They have this step in their winterizing video. I just like to see a little pink come out of that line for good measure.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:20 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
It was in the Escape winterizing instructions from way back. Don't know if it is still there. It does hold some water.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote