Winterizing challenge - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2021, 01:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Send a message via MSN to grswick Send a message via Yahoo to grswick
Winterizing challenge

After watching the Escape winterizing video several times, I am unable to solve my antifreeze flow problem on my 2021 Escape 19. I bypassed the water heater and the water storage tank as described in the video. I inserted the tube into the antifreeze container and started the water pump. The antifreeze flowed great into all the cold water lines, but would not flow into the hot water lines at all.
What did I do wrong to stop all flow into hot water lines?
Thank you,
grswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 03:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by grswick View Post
After watching the Escape winterizing video several times, I am unable to solve my antifreeze flow problem on my 2021 Escape 19. I bypassed the water heater and the water storage tank as described in the video. I inserted the tube into the antifreeze container and started the water pump. The antifreeze flowed great into all the cold water lines, but would not flow into the hot water lines at all.
What did I do wrong to stop all flow into hot water lines?
Thank you,
Did you turn both bypass valves? This happened to another owner and one of their bypass valves was installed wrong. If you are getting a complete blockage your lower valve could be backwards. See this diagram I put together awhile back to help visualize the situation.
Attached Thumbnails
HWH piping.jpg  
Old 10-27-2021, 04:55 PM   #3

You said: “ This happened to another owner and one of their bypass valves was installed wrong. If you are getting a complete blockage your lower valve could be backwards. See this diagram.”
That’s it!
Thanks!
Old 10-27-2021, 07:36 PM   #4

Quote:
You said: “ This happened to another owner and one of their bypass valves was installed wrong. If you are getting a complete blockage your lower valve could be backwards. See this diagram.”
That’s it!
Thanks!
No problem. If the handle portion of the valves are both facing the same side then a valve is installed wrong. You’ll notice in the photo above the lower valve handle is hidden. The picture is from a 19.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:10 PM   #5

Rubicon,
I wish I could figure out how to simply send you my photo. I can’t, but in my setup, the back of the valve is facing the camera on the top hot red line and the front is facing the camera on the bottom cold blue line. I posted my photos on the FAcebook Escape Trailer group.
It’s just the opposite of your photo, so I’m thinking both valves were installed incorrectly. Is that right?
I was going to try to fix it myself, but don’t know how to remove and replace those steel hose clamps. Hope ETI covers it under warranty. It would be my second warranty claim in 9 months.
Thanks again for your expertise.!
Old 10-27-2021, 08:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Rubicon,
I wish I could figure out how to simply send you my photo. I can’t, but in my setup, the back of the valve is facing the camera on the top hot red line and the front is facing the camera on the bottom cold blue line. I posted my photos on the FAcebook Escape Trailer group.
It’s just the opposite of your photo, so I’m thinking both valves were installed incorrectly. Is that right?
I was going to try to fix it myself, but don’t know how to remove and replace those steel hose clamps. Hope ETI covers it under warranty. It would be my second warranty claim in 9 months.
Thanks again for your expertise.!
Based on your description it sounds like just the bottom valve is incorrect. Never mind it appears both valves are incorrect. See attached graphic to help post photo.
Attached Thumbnails
5BD35184-BFA6-4864-BFA3-982AB50CED95.jpeg  
Old 10-27-2021, 08:47 PM   #7

So, the lower attachment to the water heater is easy to unscrew, but the top one looks tricky. The bottom one is a traditional black plastic screwing into a brass piece, but the top one is all plastic. I am afraid to turn it for fear of breaking something. So, you think the bottom one is the only problem?
Here's the photo of the connections.
Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7307.jpg  
Old 10-27-2021, 09:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
What does your Escape owner's manual show for bypass?
Mine looks like this ( a bit hard to see the levers ).
Attached Thumbnails
bypass.JPG  
Old 10-27-2021, 09:33 PM   #9

Quote:
So, the lower attachment to the water heater is easy to unscrew, but the top one looks tricky. The bottom one is a traditional black plastic screwing into a brass piece, but the top one is all plastic. I am afraid to turn it for fear of breaking something. So, you think the bottom one is the only problem?
Here's the photo of the connections.
Thanks again
Unfortunately they both appear to be installed incorrectly. See pics. When piping breaks right (like on a 19) the upper valve handle should face out and lower valve handle should face in. When the piping breaks left (like in a 21 and 5.0) the upper valve handle should face in and lower valve handle should face out. Talk to Escape. They may send you pre-piped parts that can be installed by someone if you are not comfortable working with PEX and the unique connectors. This was the thread where some of us helped figure out this same issue for another owner but he only had the bottom valve wrong.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...aps-13971.html

Conceptually what needs to be done on yours is the four pex crimps cut off and the assembly of two valves and vertical pipe rotated 180 degrees and reinstalled with new crimps.
Attached Images